• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Feb/March 2011 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
XP My saving up for A-Cen is really going to put a damper on my purchases for the next few months and wouldn't you know it - Funi puts out every thing great this spring!

I'll be curious if the new Rin set will have the same skin-feeling cover to it as the original, or if that was just reserved for the original. I'm still looking at picking this up, but I do like the effect they gave the cover for the original release and that may override my want for the prettier art. Anime hyper
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Eva 2.22!!!!!!

I can't wait... I can't wait... I can't wait...

Seriously, I am super excited! I want to place it with all my other Eva stuff on the pretty shelf!!! I can't wait to watch it!!!!!

Anyways... I can't believe they're going to be releasing Soul Eater Parts 1+2 together now that I finally broke down and purchased them individually. I hate it when they do that. GRRRRR. Either way, I'll only have paid $40 for my Soul Eater. Not about to purchase it in BD either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
A few items on the list caught my attention, but not the titles I'm drooling over. Shakugan no Shana 2 and Strike Witches 2 now seem to be summer releases.

*sigh*

*waits*
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
varmintx wrote:
I have no idea how Yu Yu was originally mastered, but Funi doesn't crop their 4:3 aspect ratio releases. You can see for yourself here.
Then it gets zero benefit from Blu-Ray. None whatsoever. Now I'm seeing even less reason to bring it to Blu-Ray.
Cropping isn't in any way, shape or form a "benefit." Upscaling is usually going to give better results then leaving the scaling to a player or a TV; the exception being when too much digital manipulation is used (EE and DNR) as was the case with Funi's earliest efforts. They have since stopped doing this and their upscales are much better now. The extra disc space can also be utilized to minimize or eliminate compression artifacts.

Also, and I always seem to have to mention this, video happens to only be half of a title's presentation. Blu-ray also offers lossless audio which is always superior to a DVD's lossy track.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Then it gets zero benefit from Blu-Ray. None whatsoever. Now I'm seeing even less reason to bring it to Blu-Ray.
YuYu was animated on cel, so if they get the remastered editions from Japan, then we'll get a lot more detail. They did a proper 4:3 HD remaster over in Japan.

Yea, I've always been under the impression that cel animated shows benefited the most from BD. I don't know how it's done, but I always thought they broke out the originals and cleaned them up by hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Unrelated, but related:

Apparently, MvC3's date has been leaked as February 5th. Bundling it with all this stuff, I really am I gonna go broke! Anime cry

Since a few of us here will probably be on the streets after the holiday season, I thought I'd post this here.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Thank you to The King of Harts for posting this, it look like a lot of work.

Even though there is so many things, only two things got my interest; the Summer Wars dvd and the Eden of the East Movies I dvd.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
WTK over at AoD pointed out a note that's left on all the shows that have both LE's and RE's:

Quote:
Note: This regular edition does not contain the rigid box and premium item included with the limited edition, and will not ship until after the limited edition has sold out.

This applies to:
Chrome Shelled Regios
Ga-Rei Zero DVD
Ga-Rei Zero BD
Black Butler Season One Part One

I don't think Funimation was joking around when they said these were limited runs. I think I'll be doing a lot more preordering than normal. Hopefully they aren't that limited, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I would really apprecite it if Funi would declare Blu Ray releases as an option at release rather than waiting for all the releases to come out and say "Oh wait, here is the Blu-Ray discs for everything you just bought!" I would love to pick up some of these BR releases, but since I already own the DVD version, I'm not really interested in shelling out even more money for a new version.

Unless Funi would agree to sell Blu Ray discs at a discount if you turned in the older DVDs, a lot of these BR releases won't be on my radar any time soon.
silencer226

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Well going through the stuff I'm interested in I came up with this.

Buy on release:

Gai-Rei Zero BD
Chrome Shelled Regios Limited 1
Chrome Shelled Regios Part 2
Rosaria Vampire Limited 1
Rosario Vampire Capu 2

No Limited Version so these can wait:

Eden of the East Movie 1(MAYBE)
Summer Wars
Eva 2.22 (MAYBE)

I may change my mind later on but for now this is what I plan on getting.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I don't think Funimation was joking around when they said these were limited runs. I think I'll be doing a lot more preordering than normal. Hopefully they aren't that limited, though.

NISA said that Toradora! and Persona -trinity soul- premiums were limited runs as well. Five months later they are still available... As much as we would like to think there is actually a demand for these titles, there isn't.

I'd recommend pre-ordering FUNi's LE's just to be safe, but it's really nothing to break the bank over (don't spend your last pennies just in fear you will never get it haha) I mean come on, how many people out there are actually going to buy that Chrome Shelled Regios LE?? Laughing These titles aren't exactly A+ shows...

EDIT: Hey! At least these solicitations answer an important question. There ARE going to be Blu-ray LE's!! Woohoo!
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Funimation's 2010 releases that got my attention were far and inb between, but it seems like Funi has decided to hit the ground running this year.

My list of titles to buy in 2011 has already expanded by at least 4 titles. I have to get Summer Wars, FLCL, the new Evangelion movie, and the first Eden of the East movie. And there's also a few titles that I might consider picking up if I have the extra cash at the time. I'm considering finally getting the Sgt. Frog season 1 and 2, Speed Grapher box set (since right now I only have the first volume), Excel Saga box set, and I'm kind of interested in the Yu Yu Hakusho blu-ray release. I just want to see how that will turn out.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
WTK over at AoD pointed out a note that's left on all the shows that have both LE's and RE's:

Quote:
Note: This regular edition does not contain the rigid box and premium item included with the limited edition, and will not ship until after the limited edition has sold out.

This applies to:
Chrome Shelled Regios
Ga-Rei Zero DVD
Ga-Rei Zero BD
Black Butler Season One Part One

It also applies to Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom and The Sacred Blacksmith. It will likely be applied to Hero Tales, Rideback, and Rosario+Vampire (slated to include artbook on LE) once March's solicitation is fully finalized.

Since I'm making a post here...a couple more things to note:
  • Chrome Shelled Regios, Part 1 LE - slated to include "Hand-Held Flag Premium"
  • Ga-Rei-Zero LEs (DVD or BD) - slated to include "Booklet and Poster Premium"
  • Gungrave (Classic Line) - it's listed as a FUNimation release, the previous re-release was still under Geneon (FUNi distribution)...it looks like Samurai Champloo is in the same boat (though again in March, may not be fully finalized).
  • Initial D: 2nd Stage - includes Extras Stage in 3-discs
  • Summer Wars (DVD) - slated to be a 2-disc release (no word on extras content yet)
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:

• Ga-Rei-Zero LEs (DVD or BD) - slated to include "Booklet and Poster Premium"

Sold. I'm a booklet bitch, hah. Now I gotta wait for a TSRI FUNi sale to order all of these up...
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Wait, what? SE's getting on Blu-Ray, and they're re-releasing it on DVD? Hell, glad I waited to get my hands on that series. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6