• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Love Live! School Idol Project Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Unless you're them you are in no place to criticize or talk down towards them about their preferences

Can I talk down to them about their tiresome ignorance then? People need to get it through their heads: Dubs cost a ton of money to make. It's perfectly fine to prefer a dub. I don't fault anyone for that. In fact, I agree with them. But that doesn't make one feasible. Hence, demanding one or complaining about the lack of one is an entirely different story. When NISA goes out and licenses a really mainstream show that seems like it could actually support a dub, I'll be right there with the people complaining. But for now, people complaining that NISA doesn't dub are just demonstrating how clueless they are about how anime actually works.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
@ikillchicken:

Especially since on this site, there's an ANNCast episode featuring guests from NIS America who already addressed this. Yeah, I'd rather there would be more dubs for more shows, espeically for shows like Usagi Drop and House of Leaves which while it's great they both have a home video release, it's also kind of a bummer that neither of them could get a dub. However, even I as a dub enthusiast think it's silly when there's a license for a show from NIS America and people go, "NO DUB?! YOU SUCK NIS AMERICA", when you can be informed about that on this very site through a podcast episode.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
BTW, there are actual schools in Japan that do this. You can even major in it: Laughing

"Fukuoka college establishes idol department"

Though strange that NISA picks this up before the feedback on the show. The show may turn out to be undeserving of the higher-than-regular market that NISA usually aims for, so they may take a bath on this.

(Just to note, moviegoers in Japan prefer their movies dubbed too though.)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
This is what, the 20th time this comes up? Here's how it goes

1. Company licenses an anime.
2. Company announces sub only.
3. Dub fans complain about it not having a dub,
4. Sub fans praise that it's not getting a dub, because anime should be watched in Japanese.
5. Smart fans explain why it's not getting a dub.
6. Dub fans and sub fans ignore the smart fans.
7. Rinse and repeat for next sub-only release.

Anyway, this should seems a little like Idolmaster. And since that one is NOT getting an R1 release (Since it's Bandai), this might be a decent replacement. And of course it's not getting a dub, it's a niche within a niche. I'm not saying dub lovers should stop complaining, because it's not going to happen, but if they could at least understand why it's not getting a dub, it would be a little more civil around here.
Nico87

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This is what, the 20th time this comes up? Here's how it goes

1. Company licenses an anime.
2. Company announces sub only.
3. Dub fans complain about it not having a dub,
4. Sub fans praise that it's not getting a dub, because anime should be watched in Japanese.
5. Smart fans explain why it's not getting a dub.
6. Dub fans and sub fans ignore the smart fans.
7. Rinse and repeat for next sub-only release.

Anyway, this should seems a little like Idolmaster. And since that one is NOT getting an R1 release (Since it's Bandai), this might be a decent replacement. And of course it's not getting a dub, it's a niche within a niche. I'm not saying dub lovers should stop complaining, because it's not going to happen, but if they could at least understand why it's not getting a dub, it would be a little more civil around here.

100% agree with this post and the same could be said of the endless Aniplex of America discussion to a lesser extent, but The Idolm@ster isn't any more Bandai than Xenoglossia is it?
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
In the end, it comes down to this:

In a game, you wanted dubbed voices because the with all the action going on during the game, having to read the subtitles can be distracting and makes it harder to enjoy the game at times. And the dialogue may offer important clues on what to do next during game if it's an RPG.

In a TV show, you're more a passive viewer. As such, subtitling isn't so distracting, and it's fun to hear the original Japanese voice acting--especially when they speaking in a different Japanese dialect like Osaka-ben or even Tosa-ben (the dialect of the southern shoreline of the Japanese home island of Shikoku--one of the villains from the anime series Heartcatch Precure! spoke in this dialect).

Besides, with Love Live!, I'd rather watch it subtitled because you know many of the songs sung in the series will of course be in Japanese. By the way, this series is a Bandai release, since it is being produced by Sunrise, an anime studio that is part of the Bandai Namco conglomerate.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Though strange that NISA picks this up before the feedback on the show. The show may turn out to be undeserving of the higher-than-regular market that NISA usually aims for, so they may take a bath on this.

This is the show that most fans in Japan who keep up with sales numbers expect to be the surprise hit of the season... so maybe Nisa is looking to get it when its cheaper instead of getting it when its license cost is a lot higher since it was a big seller in Japan.

2ch recently did a projection of the sales with hundreds of people putting in their projections, and this is how the top 10 ended up:

13,216 - Vividred Operation
11,470 - Tamako Market
*9,670 - Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT
*8,342 - Love Live
*6,577 - Puchimas -Petit Idolmaster-
*6,577 - Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
*5,420 - Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru
*5,179 - Senran Kagura
*4,751 - Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
*3,937 - Minami-ke Tadaima
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Another nice license by NIS.

As for people moaning, they mostly license shows that no other US licensors would touch as they are 'niche' titles.
I understand some people like dubs, but I would rather we have a show over here and available legally than not at all just for the sake of a dub.
A dub is an 'extra', not a mandatory requirement for anime.
Learn to appreciate a show in the language is was created in.

Also, NIS do superb packaging, and are also the only US company to release sub-only anime on BD.
Sentai do a good job, but their 'niche' sub-only titles are only released on DVD.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Also, NIS do superb packaging, and are also the only US company to release sub-only anime on BD.
AoA says "hi". I can see how you could miss them, though, considering how hard they're pushing that Ferrari.
IkariGendo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Do you guys also send angry letters to Criterion regarding dubs and honorifics?

(mind you not I'm saying that what anime companies release is on the same level as Criterion's catalogue)
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Really, the whole "no-dub" policy is only one of the reasons I generally dislike NISA. On the whole, there are only a handful of shows of theirs that I think really deserve a dub: Persona - Trinity Soul, because it's based on a popular video game series, Toradora!, because it's one of their best sellers and certain English voice actors have shown a lot of interest in performing in it, and most of all, Pandora Hearts, because it's one of the most "standard shonen" fare that they own, and I find it extremely awkward watching Western-looking characters speaking Japanese in an obviously European/Victorian setting. I think Brave 10 would benefit from a dub as well, but I heard that show sucked anyways, so it doesn't bother me as much. Razz

No, my main problem with NISA is I find that their prices are simply too high for the product they give you. I'm the kind of guy who only buys sub-only if it's DIRT CHEAP. By principal, I refuse to pay more for a sub-only release than I would for a dual-audio release from another company. I know some people have made the claim that "NIS packs enough stuff in their sets to make up for the lack of a dub," but I disagree with that. In my mind, an over-sized piece of cardboard and a wafer-thin artbook (even if it IS hardbound) would never take the place of a dual-audio track. Now, I like artboxes and pack-ins as much as the next person, but unless that pack-in is really something incredible (like the phonebook sized artbook that came with the Lain release), then I don't think "deluxe packaging" should ever be a reason to jack the price up an extra $30-$40 bucks. Even when they release their regular edition sets, they still tend to run a bit higher than other companies sell sub-only sets for.

Now, one company I do think does sub-only right is Lucky Penny. I blind-bought their Ristorante Paradiso release and was very happy with it. A previously unreleased show, on three discs, with liner notes and special features, in space-saving yet solidly built packaging, all for only 24 bucks? AND it comes with free art cards with pre-order? THAT'S a damn good deal. It's nothing fancy, I know, but it gets the job done at a very reasonable price.

I know a lot of people are gonna disagree with me on this, and I also know a lot of people really like NIS for what they offer. But to me, it really just isn't worth it. But hey, that's just my stance on the whole thing. Like I said, as long as they stick with the niche titles and stay away from the big summer blockbuster shows, then that's fine.

Seriously. If they license Attack on Titan, I'm crackin' skulls. Evil or Very Mad
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Unless you're them you are in no place to criticize or talk down towards them about their preferences

Can I talk down to them about their tiresome ignorance then? People need to get it through their heads: Dubs cost a ton of money to make. It's perfectly fine to prefer a dub. I don't fault anyone for that. In fact, I agree with them. But that doesn't make one feasible. Hence, demanding one or complaining about the lack of one is an entirely different story. When NISA goes out and licenses a really mainstream show that seems like it could actually support a dub, I'll be right there with the people complaining. But for now, people complaining that NISA doesn't dub are just demonstrating how clueless they are about how anime actually works.

Nope, you can bring up the points and refute their criticisms but you can't "talk down to them" as the rules specifically state to disagree respectfully or not at all. The whole need to talk down to anyone really only creates problems in the end and degrades the thread as a whole. So bring up what you brought up, but leave the talking down to people to sites that allow it and are made for that purpose; like the comment sections of youtube or pretty much any news channel/site either major or minor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
IkariGendo wrote:
Do you guys also send angry letters to Criterion regarding dubs and honorifics?

(mind you not I'm saying that what anime companies release is on the same level as Criterion's catalogue)

That's a completely different situation altogether. Criterion releases classic cinema and packs in a metric butt-ton of special features, documentaries, and commentaries, plus pack-ins on top of that. And for all you get, the prices really aren't that bad.

Besides, live-action cinema, particularly old movies like Criterion focuses on, are much easier to swallow in their native languages than animated features are. Dubbing Seven Samurai would honestly kinda ruin the experience.

Now, old kung-fu movie dubs? Those are awesome!! Mainly because they're so funny to listen to. Laughing
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Now, I like artboxes and pack-ins as much as the next person, but unless that pack-in is really something incredible (like the phonebook sized artbook that came with the Lain release), then I don't think "deluxe packaging" should ever be a reason to jack the price up an extra $30-$40 bucks. Even when they release their regular edition sets, they still tend to run a bit higher than other companies sell sub-only sets for.

I'm going to compare Sentai here for example (it'll probably be roughly the same if compared to Nozomi, too)

First off...let me actually say you're wrong.

NISA sub-only "premium sets" of 1-cour shows have a MSRP of $59.98 or $69.98. Sentai sub-only, bare-bones (physically, sometimes they do bundle a ton of JP extras) releases of 1-cour shows have an MSRP of $49.98. Well, that's a $10-$20 difference, not $30-$40.

Same goes with 2-cour series by both companies. The difference in price is about the same.

Now, with NISA's standard releases, the MSRP is about $44.99 or $49.99. Far from being more expensive than Sentai's MSRPs of sub-only sets.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
^ *sigh* Again with the MSRP argument. Rolling Eyes

NO ONE PAYS MSRP ANYMORE. If someone's charging you the full manufacturer's suggested retail price, you're shopping at the wrong store.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4