• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
The trailer also hinted nothing at a comedy and only reinforced the SnS thoughts.

Um, the trailer had the scene with him breaking his arm and him being chopped in half.

True, I didn't expect it to be a full parody, but I knew it would have the comedy parts.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
I did realize that it was parody, it just took me a minute! (I'm a little slow...)

Speaking of HOTD, I dropped it because I wasn't expecting so much fan service. Not sure what I was expecting with it really when I think about it. I guess I was in the mood for action and an interesting take on zombies not harem-esque fan service in a different setting.

I, too, hope zombies aren't the new moe. Sorry, they just aren't attractive you know... because they're falling apart and like not alive. That's kinda a turn off.

As for SnS (referring to slow again... I thought the SnS was like SNES. ROFL - took me a second there too...), I can see the similarities on the surface, but I'll take Shana over Zombie's characters any day.

I, too, hope that it continues to parody as much as possible and keep running at full speed with our moobs and boobs. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
I, too, hope zombies aren't the new moe. Sorry, they just aren't attractive you know... because they're falling apart and like not alive. That's kinda a turn off.

For arguments sake, they can have an attractive side:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/l4d-valentine-tank.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/l4d%20valentine%20zombie/blahblah123_bucket/Left_4_Dead_.jpg
The rest is too explicit.
Ok I am kind of jokeing, I am not a necrophiliac or something, I have seen some supposedly cute zombies, but I had to get mentally screwed first and they are not the standard type, a common type I see are the ones with a talasmen on their face, I think they are called Jiang Shi . But there is practicly a rule about being able to moefy anything.

Have I ruined my reputation enough yet? Well I am setting my standards at rotting, mindless, colourless bad, and supposedly undead but otherwise appear perfectly fine is ok. You shouldn't judge someone just because they are living impaired you know. Educational video.

EDIT: I feel kind of dirty.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I didn't pick up on the parody stuff until the magical girl showed up. I just assumed the initial scene was a quick and easy way to show how he's a zombie/add some comedy, which I thought would be a big aspect of the show.

When the magical girl showed up though it started clicking. I also got the same Rukia + Ichigo vibe that Dusky got as well.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

Just check out Sankarea. How to overcome the rigor mortis of the girlfriend you zombified... Razz

Though I actually agree. There's a limit to moefication.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
When the magical girl showed up though it started clicking. I also got the same Rukia + Ichigo vibe that Dusky got as well.

Same here. Though I did feel kind of foolish for not picking up on that fact sooner Embarassed . I mean, the necromancer who speaks in cue cards and Ayumu's fantasy of what he wished she'd be like should have been dead giveaways.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
The trailer also hinted nothing at a comedy and only reinforced the SnS thoughts.

Um, the trailer had the scene with him breaking his arm and him being chopped in half.

True, I didn't expect it to be a full parody, but I knew it would have the comedy parts.

There's a difference between having funny parts and being a full on comedy, though. To stick with my SnS comparison, it has funny bits, but I don't think anyone would call it a comedy, at least not without first noting how it's an Action/Supernatural/Romance. And I just rewatched both trailers, and they played the show as pretty straight; the music especially helps set that mood.

So, in short, I, too, thought it'd be funny, but not a comedy, and be more or a straightforward actiony series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:

For arguments sake, they can have an attractive side:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/l4d-valentine-tank.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/l4d%20valentine%20zombie/blahblah123_bucket/Left_4_Dead_.jpg
The rest is too explicit.
Ok I am kind of jokeing, I am not a necrophiliac or something, I have seen some supposedly cute zombies, but I had to get mentally screwed first and they are not the standard type, a common type I see are the ones with a talasmen on their face, I think they are called Jiang Shi . But there is practicly a rule about being able to moefy anything.

Have I ruined my reputation enough yet? Well I am setting my standards at rotting, mindless, colourless bad, and supposedly undead but otherwise appear perfectly fine is ok. You shouldn't judge someone just because they are living impaired you know. Educational video.

EDIT: I feel kind of dirty.

OMG a fellow L4D fan! I actually almost ordered the L4D holiday cards this year. Smile The images you linked take me to a most happy place that has more to do with the destruction of zombies than the cuteness of them. Btw, Francis in the bottom of the second is most excellent. "I don't hate this" ROFL

Loved the video link too. thanks!!! Anime smile Can't wait to show it to my fiance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
So I watched the first episode and I am going to make this one short and quick.

Well I think I have to say that this is the most overrated show of the season. I did not think it was funny, and I didn't like how old the show look. For a 2011 show why does it look like it was made in the early 2000's?

The two things I liked about the episode was the fanservice (well I didn't like the last one) and th ED. Everything else was just not funny and didn't feel like a lot of effort was put into it.

I don't know if I will watch the 2nd episode or not, I might give it another chance, but I am not sure at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

I did not think it was funny, and I didn't like how old the show look. For a 2011 show why does it look like it was made in the early 2000's?

Studio Deen... there's your answer Wink.

The humor didn't really work for me either... I may have smiled once or twice but that's just me.
vastoceans

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, the second episode is out and we've been introduced to a busty full-on tsun vampire ninja. This episode wasn't nearly as laugh-out-loud funny for me as the first one but it was still entertaining.

This week saw the show walking the fine line between completely ridiculous and character drama. (At least) I'm intrigued by the possibilities for Yuu and Ayumu's development. Being ignorant to the source novels, I wonder if this show will actually have some direction rather than a bunch of wacky-stand alones.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
While the comedy wasn't as great as the first episode's, it was still good. I really like Ayumu's delusions of being called "Onii-chan". I enjoyed the scene spoiler[where we see how Ayumu and Yuu met.] The Vampire-Ninja was pretty cool, she has nice sword fighting skills, but she kept repeating the same thing over and over, which was a bit annoying. "My sword is Tsubanegime (or whatever) style", " I like the Tsubanegime style." The action so far is turning out decent.

Looking forward the rest of the series.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I really like Ayumu's delusions of being called "Onii-chan"

I think he has an "onii-chan" fetish (it's ok though, I have it too Razz).

Well this episode wasn't as funny, nowhere near the last episode actually. My guess is they are trying to build characters and, OMG, plot for future, could this be, character development. Dropping comedy almost completely is not a good idea though. Masou Shoujo and necromancer got a few more points in this episode too. Love how magical girl runs around house in a T-shirt and underwear! Oh and that bitch slap... very well done, gotta appreciate shade on the face. Also love that only joke present - "everyone shaking" is simply hilarious.

I don't know about others but that vampire/ninja girl is rather annoying. She says same thing over and over and when she doesn't say that its insults for clearly no reason... Hardly funny if you ask me.

Love the ending sequence too. Cool
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm pretty sure her calling the MC a piece of shit all the time is intended to be satire. In fact, this series drips with satire, IMO, but not all of it is done for comedic effect. Similarly, having plucky magic (clothes) girl (typically good people) cruelly teasing the MC and repeatedly telling him to die is also a sort of satire, or at least I think it's intended to be ironic, and having her get her comeuppance by a necromancer (typically evil people) is also ironic.

Many of the things in this series can be viewed from both a straight angle and twisted bizzaro-world angle, often simultaneously.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I looooooooved Vampija. Especially her boobie bombs. Loved how she kept nonchalantly calling Zombie Guy spoiler["piece of shit."] This series is working big time for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12