• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sues 1,337 BitTorrent Users Over One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, if they really intend to sue and take money from them, count me out.
Anime is a small market. If their piracy department is better than their marketing department, that's just too bad for them.
Yet One Piece's DVDs remain priced at $2.5 per episode (after discounts and crap) with no extras whatsoever.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
What these 1337 people did was absolutely wrong. They shouldn't been downloading Funimation rips because of their crappy quality. I mean, you could wait 3-4 days for fansubs with perfect video, not that 360p bullsh*t. Watching One Piece in that resolution is sacrilege, serves them right!
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
matrixdude wrote:
I wonder what sub group's torrent they chose to follow

According to the hash, it's the 720p mkv release by yibis, a group who has their domain registered through GoDaddy and has their site hosted on OVH. To be honest, I think it'd be much more productive and cheaper for FUNi to cause grievance to the source than the downloaders. This current ordeal is just Hurt Locker -level silliness that will most likely end up biting FUNi back.

It seems like it would make a lot more sense to just shut down the subbers. I'm guessing there must be four, five groups max that sub One Piece. Seems like it would be easier to go after five defendants than 1,337.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
captainbanana wrote:
Does Funimation really want to go the music industry route of actively turning its own fans against them? That didn't exactly work out that well for the music industry, and I can't imagine it working well for Funimation.

Terrible analogy. The music industry doesn't exactly let you hear entire albums for free. FUNi hosts several anime series' for free.

That and they're not strong-arming innocent people.

mangamuscle wrote:
So Funi finally went to the dark side and started suing their supporters.

Last I checked, none of FUNi's episodes aren't available for download. So I don't see how that's supporting them.

Actually, it is a perfect analogy. Most of the songs people want to hear from an album have always been freely available on the ad-supported radio. Funi's stream is also ad-supported.

The idea that they aren't "strong arming innocent people" is pure bias as well. How do you know that the parents of children, or people with stolen wi-fi aren't on that list, just like they were with the music industry lawsuits?

Suing your customers is never a good idea, period. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense either, because it doesn't stop the people that are actually making the material available.

Apparently this is real by the way. Other sites are reporting the actual case number. Mind, blown.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow after Fractale fiasco, Funimation is really on fire to go after people who do illegal downloads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
....and this is why I don't download licensed stuff. I did have a good laugh at 1337 in conunction with pirates being busted over a show about pirates.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tsukento

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
Suing your customers is never a good idea, period.

Except they're not suing "customers." They're suing people that are STEALING what is basically free content. With the music industry, you were basically forced to buy an entire album for one song, or at least pay for a song.

There's no cost to watching FUNi's stream on its site. Ads are a problem? Big deal. They're usually 30 seconds long. Far shorter than what's shown on TV commercial breaks.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Something isn't making sense. I think I'll retract my statement to see what's going on. This now smells of placating the Japanese.

I'm betting FUNimation goes no further with the filing.

Last edited by PetrifiedJello on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Yeah, it has been proven time and time again that those people seeing the fansubs were the people that buyed the DVDs when they were released.

Care to show me where exactly this has been "proven"? Because... I smell bullshit.
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Calling people who are illegally downloading content from a company "their supporters" is such an oxy moron. I'm sure there are a good chunk of people who download fansubs, do actually buy the sets when they are released. But it doesn't condone what they're doing now.

Funimation is nothing like the music industry. Even with record companies going out of business left and right, the industry as a whole has still yet come up with something creative that's incorporated user feedback. If you say Funi hasn't, then your clearly not seeing the larger picture in all of this for the past several years.

Last edited by atunderdogk on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Also this wouldnt happen if 720p streams were available. Except for the people that REALLY are thieves. Most people I know only watch pirated because streaming quality is terrible on today's monitors.

I fail to see where you're going with that logic.

My desktop monitor is around 24 inches. It doesn't look beautiful on my computer, but it's rare I take it to full screen anyway.

The Simulcast is FREE. I'd say we're incredibly lucky for getting this Simulcast for free no matter what quality. To think that people would actually complain about the video quality (which I can say with certainty is not terrible) is beyond me.

Just a bunch of spoiled brats, I suppose. But hey, that's the anime community.

---

Anyway, go FUNimation! Americans who are still downloading these episodes really deserve no mercy.

Glad to see they're defending One Piece too. Although, I'm not sure how likely something like what happened to Fractale would be in happening to One Piece is, no chances should be taken.

Last edited by Revolutionary on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:

According to the hash, it's the 720p mkv release by yibis, a group who has their domain registered through GoDaddy and has their site hosted on OVH. To be honest, I think it'd be much more productive and cheaper for FUNi to cause grievance to the source than the downloaders. This current ordeal is just Hurt Locker -level silliness that will most likely end up biting FUNi back.

Cheaper, most likely. More productive, not really...

Taking out the source just means people move on to another source going "Oh well, sucks for them", because nothing happens to the downloaders.

Going after the downloaders lets people know that they're taking the action of downloading the material just as series as the action of making it available for people to download.

Maybe eventually it'll get through people's heads and they'll stop.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
captainbanana wrote:

Except they're not suing "customers." They're suing people that are STEALING what is basically free content. With the music industry, you were basically forced to buy an entire album for one song, or at least pay for a song.

There's no cost to watching FUNi's stream on its site. Ads are a problem? Big deal. They're usually 30 seconds long. Far shorter than what's shown on TV commercial breaks.

Study after study has shown that music pirates buy more music than any other group out there. From many, many years in this fandom, I can tell you with certainty that the same is true for anime. The "these people aren't customers, because they aren't paying" argument is based on what seems to be a reasonable idea, but once the issue is studied, it doesn't hold water. The same people pirating this weeks episode of *insert shonen anime here* quite often have a literal wall of DVD's, manga, and everything else.

I can only hope that this suit ends the way others have, with the judge (legally, and justly IMO) deciding that the court doesn't have the jurisdiction to cover a suit involving those in many different states. That way, Funi will be free to go after bigger and better fish (I'd start with the stream rippers).
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Its really best to go after the distributors, not the leechers/pirates as there is a chance that some of those people who are pirates do actually buy the products, but "wants them early" as I hear some fans do. Why not just cut the chicken by the head? Get rid of the distributors, then no one can do this deed. They are the real ones harming the industry. Like illegal drugs. Go after the dealers, not the drug users. No drug dealers=no drug users.

Hate to see another RIAA thing again. Nothing has truly changed when going after their customers. Just makes for bad relations.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
captainbanana wrote:

What are you talking about?? Theres 2 (or more) ways to hear entire albums free without downloading illegally. 1) Myspace and 2) Youtube. Most bands or individual musicians stream their new albums once its been released and then later on delete.

Last edited by jtiskool305 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 27