• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Reveals PlayStation 4 Home Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Big fat meh. they're really pushing the social media crap, and that "if you stink at games you can get other people to do it for you" feature was pretty insulting.

what? you mean you've never been playing a game with your friends watching only to get stuck at a certain part, so you let your friend take a crack at it? used to do that all the time.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, no backwards compatibility means I get to keep my PS3 rather than sell it like I did my Wii once I got the Wii-U.

Social networking crap can die for all I care. I don't care or use facebook, twitter, or any of that crap. The only reason I don't mind it in New Super Mario bros is because you can draw little pictures instead and the little notes can be amusing at times. Nor do I care about Netflix, Hulu, or other streaming services I don't use and have no need for that just takes up space.

Anyway, it's kind of funny to see people say "no reason to buy this" just because these five games don't interest them. It's not like these are going to be the only games for this system forever. I have zero interest in FPS or sandbox games likes Killzone/Infamous/Watch Dogs, but just the fact Nippon Ichi and other RPG devs are on board pretty much confirmed this is going to be a must-get system for RPG fans. I doubt the new Xbox will have many unless it somehow revives the console in Japan, and while the Wii-U will probably get some like the Wii did, the PS3 completely dominated in terms of RPGs this generation, so I have no doubt the PS4 won't be the go-to system for them next gen either. I'm interested in what games like Tales and other cel-shaded games will look like.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
So, with no backwards compatibility, and the distinct lack of physical media being mentioned an indication that the rumors of this being download-only, this is an obvious no-buy for me.

I have no idea why people are thinking the latest consoles won't have disks. Developers insisted on it because it still accounts for a majority of their sales.

The backward compatibility was hinted last year it wouldn't happen because the two systems are very different. There's simply no way the PS4 can play PS3 disks.

As for the news: specs are decent, but it really doesn't matter. Like Apple, Sony is banned from my household.

Looks like my new console rests entirely with Microsoft.

Let's hope Bioshock returns to Rapture. Twisted Evil
loka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps their obvious run-around the mentioning of the physical media was a way to gauge reception. It's pretty much unanimously, "no physical games, no thanks!"
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Perhaps their obvious run-around the mentioning of the physical media was a way to gauge reception. It's pretty much unanimously, "no physical games, no thanks!"

pretty sure it was unmentioned cause it goes without saying. unless they were using something new for games there was no point in bringing it up.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:
sainta wrote:
So it doesn't read PS3 discs ._.

Crying or Very sad

That's how I feel too.

Agreed that it's a terrible choice.
Seems to support the possibility of me having a PS4, PS3 and PS2 (assuming I can't fix my 60GB up) lined up in the future... And waiting on the PS4 for a year or so, too much of a backlog already...
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Well, no backwards compatibility means I get to keep my PS3 rather than sell it like I did my Wii once I got the Wii-U.

Social networking crap can die for all I care. I don't care or use facebook, twitter, or any of that crap. The only reason I don't mind it in New Super Mario bros is because you can draw little pictures instead and the little notes can be amusing at times. Nor do I care about Netflix, Hulu, or other streaming services I don't use and have no need for that just takes up space.

Anyway, it's kind of funny to see people say "no reason to buy this" just because these five games don't interest them. It's not like these are going to be the only games for this system forever. I have zero interest in FPS or sandbox games likes Killzone/Infamous/Watch Dogs, but just the fact Nippon Ichi and other RPG devs are on board pretty much confirmed this is going to be a must-get system for RPG fans. I doubt the new Xbox will have many unless it somehow revives the console in Japan, and while the Wii-U will probably get some like the Wii did, the PS3 completely dominated in terms of RPGs this generation, so I have no doubt the PS4 won't be the go-to system for them next gen either. I'm interested in what games like Tales and other cel-shaded games will look like.

I'm going to disagree with you here I love the option of streaming services via console mainly due part I can not afford cable t.v.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

You know people use those to contact their relatives if they're overseas. Social media has been used a lot in life-saving incident. Also don't you have any friends that you want to post up picture to. Also many people use that to get their news when they don't have TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I see no point in why it has to be in a video game console though. People sharing video game videos or watching other people play their games (Which is kinda creepy and I hope it lets you turn that off) isn't going to save any lives.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I see no point in why it has to be in a video game console though. People sharing video game videos or watching other people play their games (Which is kinda creepy and I hope it lets you turn that off) isn't going to save any lives.

People want all in one devices in this day/age. Why do you think that smartphones are slowly if not already wining the handheld market over the vita/3ds?? It's not that their hard-ware is horrible it's just the fact that most people don't want to lug around 2 devices on the go as much as people don't want 2-4 things hooked up their t.v. I'm a little old school in this department however having a fully backwards compatible ps3 with a 500 gig hdd is my main source of entertainment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
There's a few good things in here. I do like the idea of being able to install updates without sitting in front of the console twiddling my thumbs when the latest update gets pushed. However, I don't understand this obsession with making consoles media centerpieces. After all, wasn't the PS3 supposed to be all that, but on the PS3 we never really got a proper web browser and the PS3's apps feel pretty half-done to me (the YouTube app is one of the worst offenders). If I want to watch video from the internet, I'll just do it through a Roku box. I'm guessing it'll be a lot more streamlined.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just want a good game console.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait until the console has been on the market for a couple of years before I decide on a purchase. I don't do inital hype.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Sounds cool and all, but my gaming days ended a long time ago due to real life getting in the way (never bothered to get a PS3, since I only touch my PS2 a few times a year).

Can't say I'm surprised about the PS4 not being compatible with the PS3 except via the Cloud service (if nothing else, it gets more people to use that service, IMO).
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
There's a few good things in here. I do like the idea of being able to install updates without sitting in front of the console twiddling my thumbs when the latest update gets pushed. However, I don't understand this obsession with making consoles media centerpieces. After all, wasn't the PS3 supposed to be all that, but on the PS3 we never really got a proper web browser and the PS3's apps feel pretty half-done to me (the YouTube app is one of the worst offenders). If I want to watch video from the internet, I'll just do it through a Roku box. I'm guessing it'll be a lot more streamlined.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just want a good game console.

its like they said the whole media sharing craze hadn't started up at the ps3's launch so all that stuff was introduced later. with the ps4 its built in from the start and personally i think the share button is brilliant and wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft tries to do there own version.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Not too excited about it for some reason---maybe I love my ps3 too much. I really hope they make it backwards compatible with ps2 and ps3, but more importantly ps2 imo. I also think this new ff SE is developing is actually versus 13 renamed as ff15 and now transferred to ps4 :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7