• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madhouse's X-Men Anime Designs, Cast Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taishi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Nice to see Aya Hisakawa in a new role.

There is a lot of old school seiyuus in this series (Morikawa, Koyama, Tamura and Hisakawa).

Just coming off watching the latest AMG OVA that was released, I am very pleased to see Hisakawa being active again. This really caught my interest because I am a big fan of her work. (Same with Tamura but she is still more active).

Normally, I would pass on english to asian adaptation....but, I might make an exception because I haven't seen Hisakawa on a role in such long time....
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
I guess I will give it a try. I liked it when X-Men was more conservative and then it became too liberal with the god-awful movies. Only good cast was Hugh Jackman, that's it.

I hate it when people use the terms 'conservative' and 'liberal', as anything political. (Although they have been given that connotation). Conservative means to preserve, protect, save (as in conserve; you don't use much electricity, you save it,). An example of being conservative would be if you recycle, you save on money, electricity, etc., or you are preserving something. Liberal simply means generous. An example of being liberal would be that you give/lend money to people, you give things away, you're constantly helping when you can. (Webster Collegiate Dictionary).

Now that I got that out of the way, do you think you can describe X-Men being something else, other than conservative or liberal? Because when you think about it, X-Men is both. The X-Men are liberal in the sense that they are constantly fighting to save the day, helping people a lot is actually liberal in the non-political sense. They are conservative in that they are trying to preserve their race, saving lives, and looking out for themselves and each other. They may discuss issues, that's true. I don't really keep up with the comics, I did see the movies and some of the animated series, however. What I do see with them discussing issues, is that some people may feel like they are pushing their ideals onto others. I can understand if that bothers you, I certainly hate it when people push their ideals on me, I have my own beliefs and values. But I would try to use other terms to describe this, rather than using overused politicized words. In other words, what don't you like about them discussing issues? Just explain that, rather than say anything about being conservative and liberal.

Very nicely put, but I think I know what he was trying to say. Ever since issue 500 the X-Men moved to San Francisco and the tone seems to be more happy go lucky. There have been some serious things that have happened such as the Utopia story line but with them living in San Fran, on an island surrounded by a culture thats mostly tolerant seems to take away the X-Men feel. Not that it isn't interesting because it is, but in my opinion it doesnt have that X-Men touch. Take into account that Prof X wasn't with them for awhile and now he really doesnt do much even though he's back, Magneto is on the team, and instead of Uncanny X-Men having a set team it seems to try and focus on all the x-men. For the movies he was probably trying to say they were being liberal by making wolverine the leader instead of cyclops and changing a lot.

Anyway on topic this actually looks pretty and I hope this goes on to be a long running series. I haven't been too happy with marvels way of handling their animation recently. Spectacular Spider-Man was good but after season 1 marvel seemed to put the show on a wierd schedule, Wolverine and the X-Men I felt didn't get enough advertising, and I don't like how Marvel made Iron Man the leader in Avengers Earth's mightiest heroes. Judging by that pic with cyclops standing in the middle I hope he is the leader of the team.
DCR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Paploo wrote:
]
Tomibiki wrote:
What's up with random Japanese mutant chick? They already have Psylocke! C'mon son!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor_%28comics%29 That's Armor, she was introduced in the comics a few years ago in Astonishing X-men by Joss Whedon. Since I think the anime will be set partly in Japan, they're using her as part of the plot.
Sunday Silence wrote:
Paploo wrote:
Also, Psylocke's British.

Originally British, but her mind was transferred to the body of a Japanese Assassin.
Yeah. Odd bit of race swapping there. Nice that the anime is using an actual Japanese characters instead of a white British chick who got an Asian body. Then again, with Jim Lee drawing, that could be half the cast turning Asian. Plus she's a Joss Whedon created character. How can you not approve that?

I wish they had used Surge instead. She has more personnality and need more visibility than Armor.
But it's still great that they have a recent character like her in the cartoon.
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Japanese Sake doesn't have the potency as Kentucky Whiskey.

Ha-ha, good one. Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
Anyway on topic this actually looks pretty and I hope this goes on to be a long running series. I haven't been too happy with marvels way of handling their animation recently. Spectacular Spider-Man was good but after season 1 marvel seemed to put the show on a wierd schedule, Wolverine and the X-Men I felt didn't get enough advertising, and I don't like how Marvel made Iron Man the leader in Avengers Earth's mightiest heroes. Judging by that pic with cyclops standing in the middle I hope he is the leader of the team.

Marvel's always been iffy when it's came to animation. Iron Man Armored Adventures is their only show that caught on in recent years - everything else has been a bomb. Admittedly, it is pretty much their best show so that's probably why, but still. At least they try, which is more than you can say for DC.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Ichigo77 wrote:

Marvel's always been iffy when it's came to animation. Iron Man Armored Adventures is their only show that caught on in recent years - everything else has been a bomb. Admittedly, it is pretty much their best show so that's probably why, but still. At least they try, which is more than you can say for DC.

I haven't seen Armored Adventures, was kind of put off by the whole Tony Stark being a kid thing. As for DC they try but they have have been putting out animated movies every 3 months or so for the past few years and unlike Marvels animation, these movies are usually based on a comic story line.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Ichigo77 wrote:

I haven't seen Armored Adventures, was kind of put off by the whole Tony Stark being a kid thing. As for DC they try but they have have been putting out animated movies every 3 months or so for the past few years and unlike Marvels animation, these movies are usually based on a comic story line.

The DCAU under Bruce Timm! Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
The cast looks promising (although I was a little sad that Koichi Yamadera and Masashi Ebara couldn't reprise their role as Cylcops and Wolverine from the 90's X-men). If Magneto going to be in the series, I would love if Norio Wakamoto voice him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3