• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your thoughts on "American" anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
there is no rule saying anime has to be created in Japan and anyone in the industry over there will say the same
In Japan "anime" is rarely used to mean anything but "cartoon", while somewhere between a large minority and the vast majority of the western fandom do subscribe to the older definition of "Japanese cartoon"(though I do believe that CGI fails to qualify as a cartoon).

While this certainly isn't the thread to thrash out which is the correct definition, which is to say this isn't the thread to blindly assume your definition is right and ignore the other entirely.

As for why it seems that American cartoons tend to be all a less mature(simpler?) sort, I can't help but wonder if the term "Direct-to-Video" becoming synonymous with "crap" might have something to do with it. If so, the rise of web-based distribution could help overcome that.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Well in my book shows like Teen Titans and Martin Mystery are "anime". Those are the only few American made animations that I consider worthy of watching
DeathNote_L

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, SO can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me what it is about, or is everyone unsure? I have seen some of the trailers and have a clue but seriously, I just get confused. If anyone can help PLEASE message me what it is about or something. Anime cry Anime dazed

It would help me alot. THANKS!
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
DeathNote_L wrote:
Okay, SO can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me what it is about, or is everyone unsure? I have seen some of the trailers and have a clue but seriously, I just get confused. If anyone can help PLEASE message me what it is about or something. Anime cry Anime dazed

It's really quite simple:
You put your left foot in, and you shake it all about. THAT"S what it's all about.

(Okay, anybody got a clue of which post this guy's answering?)
Alpha2Omega2Infinity
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
If it looks like anime, feels like anime, and has a bad English dub, then its definitely anime, regardless of where it came from. Now if the English voices sound decent, then we might have a problem... Laughing
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Anime means animation in French. In Japan they call animation using the French word, so Pixar's movies are called anime as well. I think that the use of that terminology to label animation made in Japan tends to be a bit loaded with prejudice.

Anyway, I agree CrisGer A.A. that there isn't anything ever made outside of Japan that can be regarded as A-grade quality animation following the traditional style practiced in Japan (or maybe, even in any style, though I would rate Pixar's best movies as "very good" on this site's scale).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed....because I'm *really not* a fan of the CG look.

If fans were able to put together something that looked hand-drawn, I'd watch the hell out of it.

Not understating the effort these guys put into this project....but this kind of thing is not to my taste. It's too much like a video game.

Quote:
If it looks like anime, feels like anime, and has a bad English dub, then its definitely anime,

...........obviously you've never heard of Diatron 5....or the other ridiculous cheap Korean knock-offs.... Laughing

Quote:
Now if the English voices sound decent, then we might have a problem...

That is not true. Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Disappointed....because I'm *really not* a fan of the CG look.

If fans were able to put together something that looked hand-drawn, I'd watch the hell out of it.

Not understating the effort these guys put into this project....but this kind of thing is not to my taste. It's too much like a video game.

I take it that you are not familiar with Rooster Teeth? They kind of popularised Machinima, using the engines in the Halo games to create Red vs Blue, so the videogame look is either not a coincidence, or at least partially intentional.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to RWBY about as much as I'm looking forward to the next season of Red vs Blue. RWBY, if you didn't know, is primarily the brainchild of animator Monty Oum. He's done the CGI work on Red vs Blue for a few years now and he is a someone who is definitely going places.

At the moment, I would not mind if the "anime style" filtered throughout the world's animation styles because, well, I just happen to like it best out of all I've seen and I've seen it showing up in American shows since at least 1994 with Disney's Gargoyles. I'm also especially looking forward to what may be the best example of this since Gargoyles, the upcoming Guardians of Luna series, created and designed stateside and to be animated in Japan.

Basically, I love the influences Japan is having on animation.
DeathNote_L

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
DeathNote_L wrote:

It's really quite simple:
You put your left foot in, and you shake it all about. THAT"S what it's all about.

(Okay, anybody got a clue of which post this guy's answering?)

I am not answering anything because I don't know the answers... I was hoping someone else did...
Also, you skipped a whole lot if you were trying to recite the 'Hokey Pokey" Anime smallmouth Confused
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:00 am Reply with quote
I only consider Japanese cartoons "anime", if only for simplicity's sake. But I don't really care if other people want to copy their "style". Its the quality of the product that matters not where the product is from.

I really dislike how some anime fans(usually teenagers) look down on all other cartoons as inferior just because its not anime. Up is as good as any Miyazaki movie. Futurama makes me laugh more than any anime. Things are good because they are good, not because of some silly nationalistic sentiment.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
I love "american" shows influenced by anime. Avatar specifically being a huge favourite and I think they not only do it well, they do it BETTER than a lot of what we consider "true" anime. That being said, I love animation in all it's forms and good is good, no matter the country it comes from Smile Though a lot of these things are relative, and one person's good isn't universally liked by all.

RWBY could be interesting...but so far it looks like just some cool animation. I'm not expecting some crazy good story, but I would love to be surprised. Eagerly awaiting the next season of Korra though.
smashwagon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I think this RWBY thing seems 100% like it came from the United States. It is flashy and technically animated, all done with computers and without any intention of hiding the technology. The entire thing blazes on with action-to-action sequences without any sort of downtime or characterization, beyond some gruff commands that are utterly unnecessary to say because all their commands are followed up by actions that do exactly what they said. Some one said this is essentially a PS2 video game cut scene, but I would disagree and consider it (early) PS3 quality. I really would expect that soon we have a chance to pick up a controller and make these flat faced 3D characters flip into the air in some twisty gun barrel ballet combo attack in which we rain death down to on a bunch of carbon copy minions who all have only one mission in life (to hate us so much that they try to kill us, but will die with ease).

I imagine this has a lot of potential with 13 year olds who happen to have a lot of pimples for their age.

That said I will keep an eye on what Rooster Teeth does in the future, as they definitely seem to have the potential to make something worthwhile.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Alpha2Omega2Infinity wrote:
If it looks like anime, feels like anime, and has a bad English dub, then its definitely anime, regardless of where it came from. Now if the English voices sound decent, then we might have a problem... Laughing

Those American anime imitations always remind me of bad dubs. Razz Like when they have Asian names they mispronounce like in Avatar with bad voice acting or the fights are silly and watered down and they have those white flashes to censor direct hits. It's like watching a 4Kids dub. I'm not really a fan of western anime attempts, all the ones I have seen always feel kind of cheap imitations that are nowhere near as good as the real stuff. I want real eggs, not that fake stuff you buy in a carton. Smile This CG thing looks pretty bad since I'm not a fan of CG and it looks like its trying way too hard to ape the anime gimmick.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think this RWBY thing seems 100% like it came from the United States. It is flashy and technically animated, all done with computers and without any intention of hiding the technology. The entire thing blazes on with action-to-action sequences without any sort of downtime or characterization, beyond some gruff commands that are utterly unnecessary to say because all their commands are followed up by actions that do exactly what they said. Some one said this is essentially a PS2 video game cut scene, but I would disagree and consider it (early) PS3 quality.

Uh...that's because it's a fighting series at heart and the guy who made it, Monty Oum, is a choreographer. The ENTIRE DAMN POINT is to show off extremely-well-directed fight choreography.

Stop comparing it to something it's not. It's the equivalent of a tech demo/showing off.

And it's not even trying to be goddamn anime in the first place, so I am utterly confused as to why this topic even EXISTS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 34