• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online's English Dub Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khooni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
C'mon!!! dub zetsuen no tempest already!!! I've heard that SAO's 1 arc is really bad. Then why did they decide to dub it??
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Khooni wrote:
C'mon!!! dub zetsuen no tempest already!!! I've heard that SAO's 1 arc is really bad. Then why did they decide to dub it??

oh, boy misread this post. I'd imagine they decided to dub SAO because it's extremely popular here, and it will sell

Last edited by getchman on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:58 am Reply with quote
Watched the video. Voice my opinion to the masses, please, Mr. Horse.

Mr. Horse: "No, Sir, I don't like it."
supersqueak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote
I always prefer dubs to subs but I didn't really like it.... I guess Asuna is okay a bit younger sounding than i would of liked but I dunno Kirito's voice doesn't sit well with me. He doesn't sound youthful enough. He sounds kind of constipated and middle aged.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

In other words, typical Aniplex dub: Skimp on the voice work, but overcharge on everything else. Confused
I hate to burst you your bubble, but I find that Bang Zoom dubs (With the exception of K-On) tend to be much more professional than a lot of the stuff that comes out of Funimation and Sentai's in house dubbing. If you want to complain about a dub, go watch Strike Witches or Penguindrum.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:36 am Reply with quote
The YouTube video still doesn't work. What a load of crock.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I was able to watch enough of the trailer to conclude that Cherami Leigh does not work as Asuna. Leigh is a very good voice actress, but I think she was miscast.

*Finally was able to watch the full trailer*

In the trailer I also heard the voices of Kirito, Kayaba and Klein. They sound good to me, especially Klein.

P.S. Let us hope they don't f up the opening theme by translating it.Wink

There is this wonderful dub of the opening and closing theme of SAO season 1 on youtube made by Amanda Lee, I want to see AoA use them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO60ahwc8FI
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
I always prefer dubs to subs but I didn't really like it.... I guess Asuna is okay a bit younger sounding than i would of liked but I dunno Kirito's voice doesn't sit well with me. He doesn't sound youthful enough. He sounds kind of constipated and middle aged.

Kirito sounded like he was taking everything over seriously. "I AM GONNA DIE IF I DIE IN THIS GAME!" HOLY FRIGGIN SHIT SHERLOCK!

Asuna's voice also just don't feel right.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
Well, I pretty much got every God damn guess of mine wrong in terms of dubs. Either I'm losing my touch, or I'm just really old.

Come to think, why do I even care? The anime was pretty overrated, kinda like an updated .hack without the gender confusions and subtle yuri hints, and the second half just seemed unnecessary overall.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

In other words, typical Aniplex dub: Skimp on the voice work, but overcharge on everything else. Confused
I hate to burst you your bubble, but I find that Bang Zoom dubs (With the exception of K-On) tend to be much more professional than a lot of the stuff that comes out of Funimation and Sentai's in house dubbing. If you want to complain about a dub, go watch Strike Witches or Penguindrum.

I'm not a fan of Sentai (mostly because they don't seem to care too deeply about the original series, like with Guin Saga and Penguindrum ---thanks Foster!---), but Funimation seems to have a decent track record! The only BangZoom series that comes to mind as having a *great* dub is Wolf's Rain, and that was quite a while ago. The only other title that comes to mind is Madoka, and that wasn't really up-to-snuff.

As for the small little snippet of the dub that we got to sample, I'd say it's sounding okay so far. SAO wasn't a masterpiece by any means, so the quality of the dub doesn't sacrifice the integrity of the original work, and actually is decent, from what we've heard. The only problem seems to be Bryce, who sounds like he's going to overact, not to mention his voice doesn't seem to suit the character.

Well, time to place our faith in Aniplex, I guess. At least we get a dub for the price we pay this time, unlike Bakemonogatari, which was priced just the same yet devoid of one (not that it could be dubbed well...)!
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This trailer is only under 3 minutes long and yet all the subbies are whining and moaning about supposed miscasts and bad acting.

I guess Animeoverviewer and Gigguk have wasted their breaths talking about these damn weaboos are since no one seems to listen.
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
The only BangZoom series that comes to mind as having a *great* dub is Wolf's Rain, and that was quite a while ago. The only other title that comes to mind is Madoka, and that wasn't really up-to-snuff.

I believe Animaze dubbed Wolf's Rain. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn was an incredible director for that one.
noigeL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Sounds fine. Yet another case of the dub representing the property in question for what it is and taking shit for it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

>Strike Witches dub
>Bad

Holy shit are you deaf or something? It's pretty good at least in the first season.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
second season dub of strike witches is good was well, if not better
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4