• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Japanese Government Establishes “Creative Industries Internationalization Committee” to Strength

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

This is what the Japanese people want, not Kpop which sounds about as generic of pop as it gets (which is the reason its successful around the world.. it lacks any identity of its own).

Pop is pop is pop. J-pop sounds generic too. But even pop have their own quirks. We could tell K-pop from C-pop from J-pop. People just tend to see those quirks on something that they like, as opposed to something they don't.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF1peWXYUBc

And this would be the top selling single of the year, at nearly 2 million sold.

This is what the Japanese people want, not Kpop which sounds about as generic of pop as it gets (which is the reason its successful around the world.. it lacks any identity of its own).

OK, you're starting to sound anti-Korean like those right wing Japanese nutjob throwing protest and death threat against Korean when you said K-pop has no identity and sound generic yet J-pop has it shares of generic-ness also. RagnaVII is correct, are you even that close-minded?? Are you that jealous that K-pop artists are getting more attention in the west then J-pop artists. Look I know that AKB48 does well in Japan, but K-pop is topping Oricon chart in Japan. I mean:

KARA beat AKB48's Atsuko Maeda Blu-ray during the first week of both their sales

K-pop artists take 4 of top 5 spots on Oricon

BigBang and 2PM on Oricon's best concerts of 2012

KARA and SNSD are highest selling K-pop artists in Japan last year

KARA becomes the all-time leader in DVD sales for a foreign artist in Japan

SHINee & Girls’ Generation rank high on Oricon’s Weekly Charts

Girls’ Generation achieves Triple Crown on Oricon, a feat only previously achieved by J-rock band, Mr. Children

Girls Generation has just received the title of being the first album by a Korean artist to stay within the Top 10 chart numbers on the Oricon charts for 17 consecutive weeks in Japan.

TVXQ makes history on the Oricon with ‘Android’

TVXQ sets a new record in Oricon’s 45-year history

See that, if K-pop is bland, then why do people in Japan keep buying album from K-pop artists. See RyanSaotome, I think you're jealous that K-pop are outdoing J-pop artists. I would be too, but again Japan's Galapagos syndrome is not allowing J-pop to replicate the same success like K-pop outside of Asia. As I said, I'm one of the many critics that criticize Japan for not using the South Korean method of exporting J-pop and J-drama. If Japan did that already, then AKB48 would be as famous around the world as Girls Generation.

Oh and I discovered this, it looks like the Korean actress, Jung Si Yeon will be the first Korean to be a member of SDN48. A sister group of AKB48, and from reading those 2 articles, SDN48 is trying to break into the Korean market.

Anyway, I have watch some J-pop and K-pop video and did some comparison and yeah I found some incredible differences and how J-pop could improve. A ANN user, Eyeresist said this on another thread:

eyeresist wrote:
Let me give you my impression, based solely on watching SBS PopAsia for a couple of weeks Wink
I quickly learned to identify country-of-origin even before the singing started:

K-Pop - The songwriting and production are incredibly polished and refined. I think the singer/dancers are mostly talent-school types, but the producers are geniuses. Also, their video clips are lavish, epic and cutting-edge.

J-Pop - By comparison has a home-made look; production and songwriting are much simpler. The videos look cheap.

My impression is that the Koreans are focused on doing whatever it takes to earn your buck, whereas the Japanese companies are stifled by their closed-market mentality, providing good-enough product to an audience with limited choice, and every manager taking his cut out of the budget, leaving the artists to scrape by. Same problem that afflicts their movie industry.

As I said, this is just how things seem to me from a couple of weeks' worth of current music videos.

Although I'm not 100% sure how correct he is (I just started to watch J-Melo on NHK World, so I need to watch more J-pop music video to determine the differences). But K-pop music video tend to be more visually appealing then J-pop (I watch couple of AKB48 music video and it does look a little bland, although there are some exception, where in K-pop they add a lot of thing that makes it look cool). Also the sexual appeal in both J-pop and K-pop are good but K-pop girl group are very clever and smart on how to use sexual appeal, where in AKB48 just put on a bikini and that's all, not quite of a lot of sexy move like in K-pop. The dance is the main problem for J-pop:

I mean look at this dance in AKB48 and compare that to the K-pop group, After School with their more difficult, challenging, and active dance. The dance is no competition, K-pop dance just blow J-pop dance completely, I'm not sure beside Arashi which J-pop pull off a dance very much like K-pop. This is why K-pop is loved around the world, the dancing is challenging and very active. The dances in AKB48 is not going to make you sweat a lot unlike the dances in K-pop. No wonder why there is K-pop dancing competition around the world and why there are dancing classes in some area like in LA and NY teaching K-pop dances.

If J-pop is going to replicate the same success like K-pop, they'll have to pull off more difficult and challenging dances like K-pop style dances. Also because I'm concern the J-pop music video can look bland, they may need to take a few pages from K-pop music video to make it look more appealing to international audiences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
My questions are; How does Mr. Choo get his info from for how the world outside of Japan feels about all that to relay to the Japanses in the first place? Does he have a blog, or does he lurk about anime forums like this one? Where does he feel the pulse of the fandom so to speak? How can we as fans give him questions, or proposals to ask, or put across the commitee for consideration?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:11 am Reply with quote
Mate that's been going on since 1854. A world war was even fought because of it too. That's what happens when a nation, allowed to do it's own thing in hundreds of years of isolation, is exposed to finding that lots of what they considered their culture and normal way of life were regarded as indecent and perverse by most of the rest of the world.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mate that's been going on since 1854. A world war was even fought because of it too. That's what happens when a nation, allowed to do it's own thing in hundreds of years of isolation, is exposed to finding that lots of what they considered their culture and normal way of life were regarded as indecent and perverse by most of the rest of the world.

Well, the open eroticism pre-Meiji Japan simply reflected most people's real nature, expressed through the world's outcasts, deviants, renegades, the person behind the mask--the id--beneath the veneer of polite society and taboos, and all in spite of laws.

For example (NSFW links) there was an underground lesbian sub-culture in Victorian England and elsewhere throughout before the 20th century (see this 1883 photo), and the western or European equivalent of Shunga, e.g. Marquis de Sade, and the English Fanny Hill, and Édouard-Henri Avril

Even in the US, things were not so historically Victorian either. See this book, A Renegade History of the United States
Quote:
Pirates and other rowdy seafarers also helped create something that, were we to see it now, we would call gay liberation. When John Adams explored the streets, he might have walked past men exposing their penises, the eighteenth-century transatlantic code for men seeking partners of the same sex. Adams might have brushed past Ann Alweye or Mary Hamilton, tall women with large hands and protruding Adam's apples, who slept with men and were themselves males--males who dressed as women. Daniel Sweeny was another male who enjoyed bending his gender in early Philadelphia. He was arrested for "being a Nuisance" by "dressing in woman's clothes" but, futher suggesting a looseness of sexual mores, was released after four days. These were the transvestites who appear in the public record. There were many more. In 1784, the newspaper the Philadelphiad described effeminate "fops" filling the city's public spaces: . . . .

(Laws did take a turn for the worse in the US a generation or two afterward though, such as the Comstock laws, to the early 20th century "progressive" era, banning prostitution nearly everywhere and gave us prohibition)

Maybe we can say Japan from its beginning up to through the Edo period, also reflects the actual "conservative" mores of the world (including Asia), as in meaning to "conserve tradition". For most of man's history, prior to the spread of Abrahamic views and laws i.e. pagan-Europe, central Asia, pre-Islamic middle east, the mores were quite different. See the discoveries in the ancient cities around the bay of Naples and see more in Alan Moore's 25,000 Years of Erotic Freedom
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I understand all that, but as all that points to is that Japan wasn't influenced by any of it until the Portuguese showed up in 1543 and later the Dutch with their Christian missionaries starting their processes of conversion, which the Takugawa bakafu banished in 1638 with a purge of any converted Christian Japanese and a ban on any Japanese from traveling to "foreign lands" and exiled from returning home any who were already overseas. "Samurai Shamploo" anyone? Wink
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
My questions are; How does Mr. Choo get his info from for how the world outside of Japan feels about all that to relay to the Japanses in the first place? Does he have a blog, or does he lurk about anime forums like this one? Where does he feel the pulse of the fandom so to speak? How can we as fans give him questions, or proposals to ask, or put across the committee for consideration?

Uh, Mohawk52, you should've heard of Danny Choo, he's from UK like you and he is a big anime/manga and a western liason/expert on Japanese pop culture. He does have a website and here's the link that relate to this article when it was there on the first page aka the first post. I guess the reason why Japan has set up this committee is I guess South Korea and the Korean Wave has overpower Japan in term of pop culture export from Asia. You've probably notice that K-pop has taken over the world, while J-pop has just never went beyond Japan and Asia. As I said, K-pop are now dominating J-pop in Japan with K-pop artists dominating the Oricon chart. So if I was Japan and I see Korea pop culture overpowering Japan pop culture over the world, I would be concern too since J-pop didn't get the same breakout like K-pop due to Korea using Youtube and social media, and Japan's galapagos syndrome not giving J-pop the same exposure like K-pop. I mean Super Junior is well-known around the world while EXILE has never done concert outside of Japan.

Mohawk52, you being from the UK, you probably have notice that Korean culture is becoming more well-known in the UK. K-pop is becoming more well-known in the UK, so K-pop could become mainstream maybe this year following that British Broadcasting Company has teamed up with South Korea TV station, KBS to co-produced a documentary on K-pop and also maybe a big K-pop concert in UK which could drive K-pop mainstream in the UK. BBC has been doing extensive coverage on K-pop.

I have started to see more British media started to talk more about K-pop more and more after Gangnam Style:

2NE1's CL was featured in i-D magazine

Time Out London said K-pop is becoming a hot trend in the UK

The Guardian also included 2NE1 and BigBang in the "A to Z of Pop in 2012"

ITN spoked about 2NE1 US tour

ITN also interviewed with CNBlue

G-Dragon of BigBang was interviewed by Dazed and Confused magazine.

The Guardian was reporting about Girls Generation could have a big chance to break into the UK. Girls Generation was also featured in LOOK Magazine. I do think SNSD do have a big potential to break into the UK market then in the US since girls group are big in the UK (ie: The Saturday, Stooshe, etc..), so they are more likely to be accepted in the UK. They do have a big fanbases in the UK alongside BigBang, and 2NE1.

http://unitedkpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/sns2.jpg

Hyuna of 4minute was talked about in The Guardian, and she was featured on POP Magazine. So looks like 4minute could break it into the UK.

http://unitedkpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/20130221-075347.jpg

Speaking of 4minute, Cube Entertainment did have a concert in the UK, United Cube Concert in UK back in 2011. A lot of British journalists was so impressed with the concert and they have speculated that K-pop could become the new trend in UK. The Independent also predicted a bright future of K-pop in the UK. Their prediction was correct, fast forward to today and look what happen after Gangnam Style, K-pop is becoming real big in the UK.

Clubland TV has started to broadcast K-pop music video after Gangnam Style became very big. UnitedKpop interview one of the person behind Clubland TV doing K-pop. Here is a picture posted by K-pop fans in the UK to confirmed what they said:

http://i50.tinypic.com/281hhzl.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2hdnsph.jpg

Yes that is Miss A and Girls Generation music video being shown on UK TV. So that proves that K-pop has huge potential. Other K-pop fans in the UK have confirmed that music video from SHINee, BigBang, 2NE1, and others have been shown on Clubland TV.

Mohawk52, as far as I'm concerned I never seen J-pop getting this much publicity and attention from British media. When was the last time UK music channel played J-pop music video on the air?

[Mod Edit: If you're going to post images they need to be a reasonable size, otherwise they simply create too much clutter and wreck the forums formatting for the page. Modified your images to links. - Keonyn]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
As I said, K-pop are now dominating J-pop in Japan with K-pop artists dominating the Oricon chart.

But the 2012 Oricon charts tell other wise. And so does the current chart, but surely you know what's dominating Oricon charts better than Oricon itself: http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/w/2013-04-22/

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Uh, Mohawk52, you should've heard of Danny Choo, he's from UK like you and he is a big anime/manga and a western liason/expert on Japanese pop culture.
Mate I've heard of the name and I knew he was a Brit, But until I read this article I had no idea he was involved with anime and manga as deeply as all this. looking at that link he says he's been living in Japan for the past 13 years, so it's not like he's been very vocal here as of late. Thanks for the links BTW.
Quote:
Mohawk52, as far as I'm concerned I never seen J-pop getting this much publicity and attention from British media. When was the last time UK music channel played J-pop music video on the air?
Too bad you don't get our NEO mag or you would have known there have been several J-pop and J-rock bands that have played London and other UK city venues in the past and will do in future too I'll wager. I don't watch much tele on Sky apart from News, Movies, and Documentaries so never heard of Clubland TV on the Music listings. Not even my teenage daughter goes there so that should tell you something about how "hip" (do they still use that term?) it is. I would put down this new interest in K-pop as back wash from the huge Gangnam Style wave that broke across our shores like it did everywhere else. But apart from that i've never heard it on BBC Radio 1, or 2. Digital radio 6 is suppose to be the place for "new and alternative music" allegedly, But I've never heard any J, or K-pop, or rock there either. I e-mailed R-6 about how if they are soo "new and cutting edge" they have never heard of Hatsune Miku, or vocaloid? I've yet to get a reply back either way.
Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
As I said, K-pop are now dominating J-pop in Japan with K-pop artists dominating the Oricon chart.

But the 2012 Oricon charts tell other wise. And so does the current chart, but surely you know better what's dominating Oricon charts better than Oricon itself: http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/w/2013-04-22/

For this week, yes. But as I said, K-pop artists are still dominating J-pop artists, it can go off and on. But you can't denied K-pop achievement in Japan. Also if you notice, more K-pop artists are getting more attention then J-pop artists outside of Asia. I can see many J-pop artists are probably getting jealous that K-pop artists are getting more fame and western attention then J-pop artists. I mean beside Perfume, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Seiko Matsuda, and Mari Ijima (some J-rock were able to do world tour like X-Japan, Asian Kung Fu Generation, L'Arc-en-Ciel, Boris). I never seen Namie Amuro, Crystal Kay, Kana Nishino, MayJ, Miliyah Kato, EXILE, Kat-Tun, and Arashi never doing concert outside of Japan (when was the last time these J-pop artists I mention ever done concert in the US or in Europe?).

Ryo Hazuki: Let me ask you a question: as K-pop artists get more famous even the rookie group that just came out are getting a lot of attention from the west like B.A.P and HITT. Yet J-pop groups don't get this much attention like K-pop does? Doesn't that make you jealous? Wouldn't you want AKB48 to get the same level of popularity as Girls Generation? What about EXILE, wouldn't you want them to get famous outside of Japan/Asia on the same level as Super Junior? What about other J-pop artists, if K-pop artists can do it, then so can J-pop artists? That's why I'm concern, slightly jealous that J-pop artists and Japan is not learning anything from the Korean Wave. Even couple people on Danny Choo point this out:

GeekofOz on Danny Choo wrote:
One thing that concerns me as a self described "Japanophile" is that South Korea are playing the marketing game much better than Japan. Here in Australia there are Korean pop festivals with reasonably big name artists attending, Korean fashion stores and film festivals. I've never seen a single Japanese artist appear here in Sydney. It seems as though South Korean entertainment industries better understand the globalisation of entertainment. It's of concern for me because I'm a Japanese pop culture devotee and I don't want to see the market bottom out because of missed opportunities.

Hanamichi wrote:
I would like you to bring to them the fact that you can not promote japanese culture industries without making efforts into promoting japanese language which they're doing the very opposite.
JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (MOFA) are closing japanese classes in many region of the world specially in North africa (Morocco).
I will here talk about How Japanese culture is doing in Morocco.
We do not recieve any help from the japanese Ambassady nor any Japanese agency, whenever we ask them they always answer "sorry no funds". But even with that we manage to creat and run in a sustainble way over the past 5-6 years. but we are no longer able to do this, as the japanese language classes across the country are being closed by JICA, they basicly say " we have no interest in promoting japanese language".

Ps: japanese cultur good are very rare in my country due to the absence of any retailer for such good, we are forced to buy all of our stuff from france or Spain.

kengreg wrote:
The problem about globalization of the brands and market of Japan is one of the things which also I wanted to expose and discuss with the japanese companies. Since I went to Japan I figuret out how much the companies just focus in Japan , because its bigger enough, however because of this same reason, companies such as Samsung, android (google), facebook, etc have been taking a lot of market which they could took in the past. Now new companies with products (android and iphone for example) are fading the image of Japan worldwide. Korea is with the KPOP has make grow their market globally and has created a lot of fans. So, the main problem for the market in Japan is that, they are not thinking globally. I really would like to expose and write or give my opinions about this issue, because in Latin america and India the problems are worst rather than Asia concerning about the anime or Japan products. Hope you are doing great there and for any help about the market in latino america, I am here.

LoganRunn wrote:
The biggest challenge they face is their mindset. Short story to illustrate my point:

There is a show on NHK called Tokyo Eye. Its in English and shows places and things all around Tokyo for foreigners to experience. The show is not available for sale so somebody started recording episodes and putting them on Youtube for us in the USA to watch. NHK complained to Youtube and that persons channel was closed. This is a show geared towards foreigners which could bring in more tourism to Japan and they prevented foreigners from seeing it. Makes no sense.

Yet South Korea has planned to open up more Korean Cultural center (like there's going to be one opening in Kazakhstan and India just got one opened up not long ago) in other part of the country while Japanese language classes is getting close down in other part of the world. This is why Japan is losing to South Korea. It's making some fans of Japanese pop culture jealous at South Korea.

Mohawk52 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Uh, Mohawk52, you should've heard of Danny Choo, he's from UK like you and he is a big anime/manga and a western liason/expert on Japanese pop culture.
Mate I've heard of the name and I knew he was a Brit, But until I read this article I had no idea he was involved with anime and manga as deeply as all this. looking at that link he says he's been living in Japan for the past 13 years, so it's not like he's been very vocal here as of late. Thanks for the links BTW.
Quote:
Too bad you don't get our NEO mag or you would have known there have been several J-pop and J-rock bands that have played London and other UK city venues in the past and will do in future too I'll wager. I don't watch much tele on Sky apart from News, Movies, and Documentaries so never heard of Clubland TV on the Music listings. Not even my teenage daughter goes there so that should tell you something about how "hip" (do they still use that term?) it is. I would put down this new interest in K-pop as back wash from the huge Gangnam Style wave that broke across our shores like it did everywhere else. But apart from that i've never heard it on BBC Radio 1, or 2. Digital radio 6 is suppose to be the place for "new and alternative music" allegedly, But I've never heard any J, or K-pop, or rock there either. I e-mailed R-6 about how if they are soo "new and cutting edge" they have never heard of Hatsune Miku, or vocaloid? I've yet to get a reply back either way.
Laughing

2NE1's music did get played on BBC Radio 1, btw. BBC Radio 1 might not have played K-pop yet, but that could change. Maybe Digital Radio 6 could play K-pop in the future if there's enough proof that K-pop is good enough.

Wait you mention some J-pop (beside Ayumi Hamasaki had done a concert in the UK) have performed in UK, who performed in the UK? I'm aware of some J-rock has done concert in the UK. But I never seen Namie Amuro, Crystal Kay, Kana Nishino, or some other well-known J-pop group performing in the UK. AKB48 has never performed in the UK. Again, which J-pop other then Ayumi Hamasaki performed in the UK?

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
So, the K-drama, Winter Sonata was not made for the Japanese audience (all K-drama were made for the Korean audience only) and yet the Japanese loved that K-drama so much, Bae Yong-joon became very famous in Japan. That K-drama created a Korean Wave in Japan. It was said Bae was more famous then the former Japanese prime minister, Junichiro Koizumi in Japan.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said and is just more of your pro-Korean agenda that other people have already shown with Oricon charts is terribly misguided.

Last edited by TitanXL on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

You can't denied that K-pop has made several achievements in Japan. Also SNSD and other K-pop groups are well-known in Japan and they have done many achievements on the oricon.

That's still not the same as dominating the charts, really.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't really matter to me, J-pop in my view is in trouble because Japan is not exporting J-pop and now K-pop artists are gaining more fame and popularity around the world while J-pop artists are still in Japan maybe jealous that K-pop artists are getting more fame around the world then them and their label companies are just letting them stay there and not promoting them overseas like how K-pop artists are getting.

You didn't answer my questions: Don't you want J-pop artists to get the same level of fame and western attention like K-pop artists outside of Japan? Don't you want AKB48 to get the same level of fame and popularity like Girls Generation? Don't you want the J-pop genre to get the same love and attention like K-pop genre outside of Asia? Don't you criticize Japan for keeping J-pop in Japan only and not outside of Asia when K-pop prove that Asian pop can get popular outside of Asia?

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've watched some dance videos of the Korean music bands (SNSD Girls' Generation, 2NE1, etc.) and AKB48, and I must say...
I think the Korean music bands are pretty much having the upper hand when it comes visual appeal and dancing; if anything, it seems that AKB48's dancing choreography may be more left to be desired than some would think. Notice how off-timing some of the dancers were in some parts?
In addition to this, I think AKB48 might have a more fair chance at faring well internationally if they toned down on the sexual theme on some of their PVs. So far, much of the Korean PVs that I've seen have little to no hints of any sexuality displayed...like this one.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

In addition to this, I think AKB48 might have a more fair chance at faring well internationally if they toned down on the sexual theme on some of their PVs.

This may seem to be a wild shot, but I wonder if Sentai's release of AKB0048 could act as a catalyst to get more peeps into AKB48. Man, I almost wish they were a guests for this year's Anime Expo than in 2010 to really capitalize on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7