• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Reimagined Fairy Tales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Interesting and I kind of do remember reading a Chinese Cinderella.

I think my main issue with the Grimm's version of the fairytales is the way women are written. And you have the whole ugly people are evil, pretty people are good, etc.

That's the earliest recorded version of "Cinderella." Very Happy

Yeah, that is a real issue with the original folklore - or at least in the versions that got recorded. The first "Little Red Riding Hood" story (France) has Red as a teen doing a striptease for a werewolf and saving herself - it was meant to be funny. Then Charles Perrault (the French equivalent of the Grimms) rewrote it as a rape allegory and the Grimm version, while allowing her to be saved, makes it so that she has to be saved by a man. So yeah, not so good on the women front.

But then you have "The Robber Bridegroom" where the heroine saves herself and by exposing her evil fiance stops him from preying on more women, so there are exceptions.

(But if you really want to be horrified, look at tale type 704 - Sensitive Brides.)

Also, thank you! I like to hope my class is interesting for the students. They pay much better attention if it is...and if I'd stop teaching at 8 am, but oh well.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
Princess Irene: I think you'll appreciate Snow Queen as well, then, since it's a show where the female protagonist (Gerda) heads out on a long journey to save her (male) best friend, Kai, who was taken away by the Snow Queen.

Hell, the Snow Queen herself isn't really an antagonist. She basically spirited Kai away so he wouldn't fall prey to the evil of the mirror shard, and is actively working to resolve that problem.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Kohii wrote:
Black Rabbit is up so high because people overrate "Problem Children". Also, it was a weak list of candidates, other than Usagi. Now, if the list had been "Favorite bunny... girl", then Mikuru would've taken the (carrot) cake.

Black Rabbit is a humorous, intelligent character. Mikuru is notably lacking in depth (and not actually a rabbit).

Lacking reading comprehension, are we? The only interesting part about Black Rabbit was the fact that Shiroyasha made it so her skirt would show as much of her legs as possible, without actually showing her panties. I thought that was very clever and funny. Other than that, zero development in that one-speed show.

How much of it have you actually watched? Also, your sarcasm's not appreciated.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Oh, it's a VERY extreme example. I'm just trying to point out that men admitting to that sort of thing might be subjected to a large variety of reactions. The whole "society teaches men to attach negative connotations to femininity" statement comes across to me as one choosing to think worse of something centered around the habits of men rather than trying to understand why it's like this. It's probably less so within the subculture that is anime, which is a niche interest in the first place, but you still get that slight stigmata that I don't think a lot of women really understand.

Or, in a lot of cases, men are just afraid that women might do so. It's generally a huge gamble, and prone to a long string of interpretations and misinterpretations.

Look, I'm not saying the things I've written are completely correct. I'm just throwing some thoughts out here in the hopes of maybe getting a bit of a perspective on this subject.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Just want to point out that while Princess Tutu didn't do well at first, word of mouth actually changed that. I am pretty sure Princess Tutu was definitely a success for ADV in the end.

That's good to hear.

I have no love for gender as a social institution. People readily find themselves limited by the attachment of masculinity and femininity to sex. I feel as though you've effectively illustrated for me why it's a problem in the first place. Of course that may be changing to a degree with the younger generation.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Princess Irene: I think you'll appreciate Snow Queen as well, then, since it's a show where the female protagonist (Gerda) heads out on a long journey to save her (male) best friend, Kai, who was taken away by the Snow Queen.

Hell, the Snow Queen herself isn't really an antagonist. She basically spirited Kai away so he wouldn't fall prey to the evil of the mirror shard, and is actively working to resolve that problem.

That sounds like both a faithful adaptation and an interesting twist on Andersen's character - the Snow Queen herself is kind of neutral in the original story, so I like the idea of giving her more motivation. I am absolutely going to watch this now. Thanks!
animalia555

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
And yes, pedophilic Hisoka gets my vote as well.
the thing about Hisoka is that he isn't Techincally pedophilc. He asks sexual towards any opponent. He dos not discriminte at all. AND somehow that makes it even creepier.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
And yes, pedophilic Hisoka gets my vote as well.
the thing about Hisoka is that he isn't Techincally pedophilc. He asks sexual towards any opponent. He dos not discriminte at all. AND somehow that makes it even creepier.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah My Goddess is based on pagan Norse mythology, doesn't that count as well? I would have thought. Rolling Eyes
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Yeah, that is a real issue with the original folklore - or at least in the versions that got recorded. The first "Little Red Riding Hood" story (France) has Red as a teen doing a striptease for a werewolf and saving herself - it was meant to be funny. Then Charles Perrault (the French equivalent of the Grimms) rewrote it as a rape allegory and the Grimm version, while allowing her to be saved, makes it so that she has to be saved by a man. So yeah, not so good on the women front.

And it hasn't stopped Red and Wolfy from being frequent subjects in highly dark, sexual art of them together.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ah My Goddess is based on pagan Norse mythology, doesn't that count as well? I would have thought. Rolling Eyes

I'm guessing they represent works based on actual old literal works rather than merely a representation of pantheon. Ah! My Goddess may be losely based around a set of mythological characters, but as far as I can tell, none of the stories I've seen OR read has had anything to do with any older written works of Norse mythology outside of maybe a quick callback of sorts.

So no, it probably doesn't count.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I'm guessing they represent works based on actual old literal works rather than merely a representation of pantheon. Ah! My Goddess may be losely based around a set of mythological characters, but as far as I can tell, none of the stories I've seen OR read has had anything to do with any older written works of Norse mythology outside of maybe a quick callback of sorts.

No less than Sailor Moon.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

That's the earliest recorded version of "Cinderella." Very Happy

But then you have "The Robber Bridegroom" where the heroine saves herself and by exposing her evil fiance stops him from preying on more women, so there are exceptions.

(But if you really want to be horrified, look at tale type 704 - Sensitive Brides.)

Also, thank you! I like to hope my class is interesting for the students. They pay much better attention if it is...and if I'd stop teaching at 8 am, but oh well.

Do you have any recommended physical copies of fairy tale collections that stay true to the original stories, rape allegories and all? I'd love to purchase some that haven't been edited down for content.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Northlander wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

The Sailor Moon manga actually does tie itself a little more directly into greek mythology by explicitly stating that the characters are goddesses, referring to Usagi's mother as 'Selene', including Chronos as Pluto's father, etc.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Northlander wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

The Sailor Moon manga actually does tie itself a little more directly into greek mythology by explicitly stating that the characters are goddesses, referring to Usagi's mother as 'Selene', including Chronos as Pluto's father, etc.
As does Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld, Hild, the Valkyries, Yggdrasil, shall I go on?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Do you have any recommended physical copies of fairy tale collections that stay true to the original stories, rape allegories and all? I'd love to purchase some that haven't been edited down for content.

For my Children's Book Illustration club I wanted to illustrate the original, and it's REALLY hard finding the original story with the werewolf/rape, mainly because it was originally a word of mouth that that was told throughout the French countryside. I believe the tale was only first published via Charles Perrault in the 1600s, as Little Red Cap, and used it as a lesson for ladies of breeding in the French court to not wear clothing that was too attractive because that would only attract "Wolves", aka men with no good intentions. Little Red Cap gets "into bed" with the beast, naked, but doesn't go into detail if she were sexually assaulted.

As long as you look for Charles Perrault's Fairy Tales, and it has Little Red Cap, it should have it. He's also known for Blue Beard, Sleeping Beauty, and Donkey Skin, so having a book of his stuff is always a real treat. I suggest getting the version with Harry Clarke or Kay Nielsen if you can find it. You won't find the laundry women/werewolf one in there, nor will you find the raped Sleeping Beauty who wakes up with children, but Perrault's Sleeping Beauty does have the ogre mother in law who eats her children.

For the oldest, original tale of Sleeping Beauty that involves the rape you need to find Giambattista Basile's version from the 1500s, where it's under the title Sun, Moon, and Talia.

As to a collection of some of these oldest tales being combined, I've yet to find one that hasn't been edited away at.

I read about a hundred different variations of Red Riding Hood for my book project, and finally found one of the oldest I could find with seemed to refer to the wolf as a werewolf. I found it the most interesting because he convinced Riding Hood to eat the remains of her grandmother (in pagan symbolism this could also be shown as her gaining the memory/knowledge of generation before) and in her escape from the wolf comes across two laundry women who help her drown the wolf when he chases after her. Perrault's does however hint at the cannibalism.

As to the list, if we're going re-worked mermaids, I rather have Rumiko Takahashi's Mermaid Saga any day. That one make me rethink mermaids, but maybe that one was based more on the Japanese myths than the Andersen tale?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4