• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Offices Closed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
I sincerely hope nothing happens to Spike Spencer! Rolling Eyes

He'll be doing Shinji screams as he's flying through the air. Laughing

Sorry.
GrantM1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
It's good to see ADV have at least prepared for Rita
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
I also thought ADV was closing more than just temporarily, but I'm glad that's not going to be the case. (Well the staff could relocate, is what I'm saying.) The whole gas price thing unfortunately makes it a lot harder for those living there, but that should be over in time. I look forward to hearing more about this hurricane issue issue in during the next hour or so in class.
I hope everyone in the area is safe and not around hunting for gasoline.
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the title was misleading, although I doubt that ADV will go out of bussiness anytime in the near future. I read posts form folks out of state and from Houston, soI guess I'll represent the situaion here in Dallas. People are just worried about what they cna do to helpout their fellow Texns,but unfortunaetly everything from hotels, motels and shelters sre filled up. Even the Reunion Areana and Convention Center filled up early yesterday. And the traffic on the north bound interstates look like parking lots. Even though Dallas won't receive much of Rita, we're still feeling the affects of her and Katrina, as we look for shelter for evacues in the metroplex. I pesonally have donated as much money as I can afford to, but I still have to worry about my own family. So my prayers and thoughts are with my Texans coming in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Double-posted there, buddy.

And again, to everyone at ADV (and any ANN members from Houston) be safe.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
David Williams, also known as DLW, is one of the founders of ADV and is also one of their directors and DVD producers.

That's not quite true. David is not one of the founders of A.D. Vision, Inc.

He's been around since almost the beginning, but it was Matt Greenfield (currently vice president in charge of production) and John Ledford (President and CEO) that founded ADV.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
I also thought ADV was closing more than just temporarily.

Wow, the somewhat misleading title was not at all intentional!

-t
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:
David Williams, also known as DLW, is one of the founders of ADV and is also one of their directors and DVD producers.

He's been around since almost the beginning, but it was Matt Greenfield (currently vice president in charge of production) and John Ledford (President and CEO) that founded ADV.

-t

That's right. I guess I got because he's been there since the beginning I got confused. My bad. I hope nothing happens to him... wait he's in Atlanta right now.
GrantM1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
tempest wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:

-t

That's right. I guess I got because he's been there since the beginning I got confused. My bad. I hope nothing happens to him... wait he's in Atlanta right now.

Him and some of the VAs as well
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
.Sy wrote:
I also thought ADV was closing more than just temporarily.

Wow, the somewhat misleading title was not at all intentional!

-t

I guess that says something about people's perception of ADV's financial health if someone sees that headline and think they are going out of business. They just seem to be really stumbling lately.

It's about 3:35 pm in Houston right now, and while the wind has picked up a bit, it's still partly cloudy and the sun is still out with no rain. It will all change in a couple of hours. The freeways have cleared and gas is getting to stranded motorists. Incredibly, this morning the park was filled with joggers, and I saw families going for walks in their neighborhoods. Well, it's not incredible for Houston. We're used to storms. It is so slow-moving that I guess people were getting out for a bit because they knew starting tonight they might have to be shut up in their homes for days! Everyone I know seems to be well prepared with food and water to last them. I think Katrina really prepared people to be fully prepared to take care of themselves because government failed the people of Louisiana, at least in the immediate aftermath. So nobody wants to be caught off guard with this one.

The My Anime feature on this website served a very good purpose for me. It will be my inventory if anything happens to my anime and manga collection during the storm. At least I know exactly what I have so I can replace it through insurance if necessary.

I'm sure electricity will be out over the majority of the area tonight at some point. I would say that judging by the cars still here, that about 80% of the residents where I live are going to wait out the hurricane here. Houston is not a ghost town. It's just that nobody is driving around because it's so hard to get gas. I have heard rumors that gas could be as much as 5$ per gallon afterwards.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
It is so slow-moving that I guess people were getting out for a bit because they knew starting tonight they might have to be shut up in their homes for days!

Did you hear the it appears to be moving faster then forcast? They had said they eye would fall ashore at 5 am, but now it looks more like midnight, which is closer to the original forecast.

freshkazuki wrote:
Houston is not a ghost town.

Some parts are. Of course, the Houston area normally houses 4 million + people, so there are still quite a few people here. 10 East past 45 towards the loop looks almost deserted. The police are out in force. I went out a bit earlier and saw about 5 cop cars driving around the neighborhood.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to tell anyone that is interested in the situation in Houston, there is a live webcast of the hurricane coverage by one of the local Houston television channels at:

www.khou.com

At the moment it appears that Houston will receive the weak side of it. I actually wish it would hurry up because waiting for it is the worst part.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I guess some people are smarter than others, or they don't watch TV. I knew exactly what the title meant, that ADV closed their offices so they could evacuate from Rita
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope that you stay safe, Kazukis! (Kazuki-san and freshkazuki.) My family is in Houston as well (Baytown, actually), and I'm absolutely worried sick about them. Especially my little brothers. To the point where I'm physically ill. And it doesn't help that I can't contact them (due to parental disputes)... I just pray that everything will be okay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:21 pm Reply with quote
GrantM1 wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:
tempest wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:

-t

Him and some of the VAs as well

Except Luci Christian; she cancelled because she didn't want to leave her home and family during this time of crisis. Monica Rial and Chris Patton did the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6