• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Adds GYO: Tokyo Fish Attack, Outlines Blast of Tempest DVDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Alunimus wrote:
DVD? Zetsuen no Tempest is too good for DVD. Well, whatever, I guess we'll wait few years and maybe BD-release will be announced or something.

This. This show is too good and too gorgeous (with a nice soundtrack too) for DVD.

This and Psycho-Pass were my two favorites from this season.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I had no clue whatsoever that Gyo had a movie made. I've only seen bits of the manga, but it seemed oddly fun. Not something I would buy, but I wouldn't mind seeing it sometime.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Sub-only DVDs with seemingly little on-disc extras at that price? They better have some good packaging. The first set could at least come with a chipboard box to hold both sets, buy I guess FUNimation is the only one doing that now. I'm not completely put-off by the price, nor do I think it's expensive; I just think that there could be more...

I really want to own Blast of Tempest, but I may just have to wait and see what the final product will look like and if we'll ever get a BD.

I also find it funny because I loved a good bit of Blast of Tempest and while I know it's obviously nowhere near as good as FMA, I so could have seen Funi selling this and dubbing it on some simmering FMA-hype due to the animation studio, visual style, and mix of modern and magic (I'm not saying they're similar or of equal quality but they're probably similar enough to try to hook FMA fans which is what got me to check out the show thanks to the trailers and Oshima's involvement with the OST and then I enjoyed the show).

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
People should get used to titles like Tempest, which are published by Aniplex, never going to the other licensers anymore. Aniplex of America is just picking up everything Aniplex produces now.
Mirri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
People should get used to titles like Tempest, which are published by Aniplex, never going to the other licensers anymore. Aniplex of America is just picking up everything Aniplex produces now.

Unfortunately, this is extremely unlikely. Sad

I'll be buying Blast of Tempest. Good prices, Aniplex-wise. Six discs, not four. I'll take the chance.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Last year, Sentai picked up the Persona 4 anime. That was an Aniplex title. They're also in negotiations for more Ginatma, also Aniplex.

I wish Aniplex was doing what Sunrise is doing. They still hold the actual license, but distribute their products through other companies.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
While I really liked Blast of Tempest I agree in this case that it looks too good to not be on BD, that and no dub kind of kill my interest in this release. I might pick it up still but I'm not too sure I want it if they just end up releasing something better down the road.

Anyhow, it's not like didn't suspect they'd pull this shit from the moment they announced it anyway.... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Well Blast of Tempest isnt even worth getting even if it dirt cheap
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
GYO was pure adorable insanity. There is no way my home will not house it at some point. I never did finish watching BoT when it was simulcast on CR (not because I wasn't enjoying it; I was. Just circumstances at that time resulted in me not finishing a bunch of shows). DVD is fine for me.
Takuku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
While I wouldn't have minded as such to import, it'll probably come out at around £40. I'll be waiting in hope for a UK or AU release.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Last year, Sentai picked up the Persona 4 anime. That was an Aniplex title. They're also in negotiations for more Ginatma, also Aniplex.

I wish Aniplex was doing what Sunrise is doing. They still hold the actual license, but distribute their products through other companies.

Yeah, those are older titles. I'm talking about since the success of Aniplex of America came around, pretty much all titles are now being picked up instead of being handed over to other licensers.

animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2013-04-01/aniplex-of-america-has-acquired-the-new-animated-series-valvrave-the-liberator
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-10-12/aniplex-usa-adds-sword-art-online-blast-of-tempest-magi-anime
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2013-03-04/aniplex-of-america-has-acquired-the-second-season-of-oreimo
http://www.otakustudy.com/2013/01/aniplex-of-america-announce-oreshura-set-to-hit-crunchyroll-this-week/
http://www.otakustudy.com/2013/01/aniplex-of-america-announce-acquisition-of-vividred-operation-anime-series-to-simulcast-it-from-this-month/

The only Aniplex title I can think of to not get picked up by them since Fall 2012 is Shin Sekai Yori, but thats probably just because they don't think its fanbase would pay their normal prices (people in Japan didn't pay the high prices for it).
Nandosagi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Now prepare for the 2014 Syfy/Asylum live-action adaptation of GYO. When mutant fish attack Los Angeles, only a team of animal control agents can save the day! Starring Michael Madsen, Bruce Boxleitner and MC Hammer!

COMING SOON

(yeah I'm excited, even with DVD only.)
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The only Aniplex title I can think of to not get picked up by them since Fall 2012 is Shin Sekai Yori, but thats probably just because they don't think its fanbase would pay their normal prices (people in Japan didn't pay the high prices for it).
That's because it's not an Aniplex title. International rights are held by TV Asahi and the domestic distributor is Pony Canyon, not Aniplex.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
*sigh*
Great. I was looking forward to the usual shitty choice between a nice collector's BD that costs literally hundreds of dollars and a bare bones DVD that costs about what I'd expect the nice BD collector's edition to cost. Lovely to see I won't even have that choice. It seems that they've gone with the less palatable option as well. I mean, I might just consider going out and spending a couple hundred dollars on Tempest. I really enjoyed it. But if I'm gonna go out and drop $100+ on a TV show I'm sure as hell gonna be fully satisfied with what I'm getting and that's definitely NOT the case with a bare bones, sub only DVD. So yeah, I think this is a pass. Frankly, if I really decide I want a DVD so bad I'll just burn one myself. I feel zero compulsion to support a company with such blatant contempt for its customers. And hey, maybe we'll get a dubbed BD somewhere down the road that I can grudgingly spend hundreds of dollars on.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
meh at least the prices aren't too bad for an AoA release
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4