• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:17 am Reply with quote
We already have proof that she's a ghost. There was the scene where she hugged Anaru and said "My neck feels heavy", meaning she felt Menma touch her. Then there was the scene at her old home where she accidentally knocked over the glass of water. She's definitely a ghost, but for some reason she's physically aged, but not as much as the others, and still has the mental capacity of when she died.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think the only reason they "aged" her is so that they can have those scenes were she inadvertantly sexually excites Dude without it being *too* lolicious.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
We already have proof that she's a ghost. There was the scene where she hugged Anaru and said "My neck feels heavy", meaning she felt Menma touch her. Then there was the scene at her old home where she accidentally knocked over the glass of water. She's definitely a ghost, but for some reason she's physically aged, but not as much as the others, and still has the mental capacity of when she died.

that's not proof. that's just means she exist. Jinta could created Menma based on his imagination and what he wanted Menma to look like.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Wait. So you're trying to tell me that Jinta's mind is so strong that it's capable of creating something that is able to touch other people and even knock over glasses of water when he doesn't even know where she is? You're also telling me imaginary friends "exist"?

That makes more sense than she's a ghost? Really?

Blood- wrote:
Personally, I think the only reason they "aged" her is so that they can have those scenes were she inadvertantly sexually excites Dude without it being *too* lolicious.

I guess that could be it, but I'd like to believe there's an in-story reason. And if that's the case, I don't see why they needed to add the arousal scenes and could've just kept her as a little kid. It could've been like Aishiteruze Baby or some other show where that involves an older male looking over a younger female.

I'm not bothered by her having a mysterious appearance, and it's not affecting my enjoyment of the show, but it's something I'm curious about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
it happens on many anime, why not? ghost is not real too.

Are you tell me that she some show become a ghost after this many years? Remember the Menma's image or ghost just recently appears out of no where, she doesn't always with Jinta after her death.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
it happens on many anime, why not?

Name three.

Also, there was the thing with the dog that could see her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
One thing I can't quite figure out is Menma's appearance. She's not as young as she was when she died, but she's still several years younger than everyone else. It's like she died at 6, everyone else is 15, but she's about 11-12. And she even acts and talks like she did when she was younger.

I was thinking about this a bit more, and I'm not entirely convinced we are supposed to perceive her "older" ghost form as being a few years younger than the others. Certainly, she looks that way to us, but I think the idea is that she has aged at exactly the same rate as the others, except she is mentally still the same age as when she died. I think the idea is that she is just smaller and physically less developed than anybody else, but would have looked like that anyway if she had lived.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
it happens on many anime, why not?

Name three.

Also, there was the thing with the dog that could see her.

Index, there was a ghost girl that created by someone imagination.
07 Ghost, so many imagination things. Bleach: Memory of Nobody.
Haruhi Suzumiya, I'm not sure what's real in that anime. There are some games like FFX. There are some comedy anime too.

I just wouldn't use logic in anime. that's all. The characters creator probably wasn't thinking too. He/she just wanted to draw something that is probably right now. at the end, they can easily make her as an imaginary friend or ghost girl.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Kazakiri Hyouka (Index) is not a ghost. She was never "alive".

I enjoyed episode 2. Seeing them all get together and play Pokemon was pretty fun. Yukiatsu really made me go o_0 though.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Someone actually had to confer that in a forum....LOL

Wow
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Index, there was a ghost girl that created by someone imagination.

What are you talking about? Kazakiri isn't a ghost.
Echo_City wrote:
07 Ghost, so many imagination things.

Not the same thing at all.
Echo_City wrote:
Bleach: Memory of Nobody.

Senna is a collection of memories. Not one single human in a body. Also, she didn't really die either.

Echo_City wrote:

Haruhi Suzumiya, I'm not sure what's real in that anime.

That's not even an example you gave.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Echo City. He listed ghost-like characters that were something else and wonders if she's something similar, not the exact same thing, presumably.

Not that I agree.

"Ghost" or "spirit" or whatever you want to say, I think it's clear that it is "Menma" in some form, not a projection of a mass or personal psychosis, guilt or imagining or anything of that kind. She has her own feelings and is wandering around independently, reacting to the people she sees according to her own out of place perceptions. Why only Jinta (and dogs?) can see her is a mystery that probably runs along the usual lines of he wants to and is willing to see her whereas the others block her out due to their own reasons.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Echo City. He listed ghost-like characters that were something else and wonders if she's something similar, not the exact same thing, presumably.

Not that I agree.

I suppose I will in fact give it that much. However, the evidence that she exists in some form and isn't a hallucination goes far above any chance of vice versa
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
lol why write crap and speculate? You will all know the answer in like what, 2 months?

Anyway, the description says she is a ghost so...no one should be telling the creators that they are wrong?

Fact: Menma is a ghost whatever
Fact: In the story, Jinta can't tell whether she is a ghost or hallucination.

Because the anime is not even close to completion, that's it. Chances are is that Menma is a ghost, but we really don't know for sure as this IS anime (although the description says so oO). If I figured out this lovey dovey plot line already, we wont know for sure until near the end (between last 3 episodes where they directly state what she is). Just saying, why bs for 2 months when you'll get the answer eventually. Isn't the joy in not knowing and going along for the ride? Not unraveling everything?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes It amazes me there would be somebody out there so stupid as to not understand that the whole point of having forums is to discuss and speculate on shows and related topics. But then again, look at who we are dealing with here. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11