• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Senkō no Night Raid Spy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
@pantsmca

Night Raid half-assed. It went where Occult Academy went. I'm seriously disappointed that potential like that fizzled away. Like Fractale. Like many series...
Not saying I don't a couple half-assed, I mentioned Daimao above. And I also like Kaze no Stigma.

But Sentai shouldn't be licensing this; Dennou Coil is REALLY something special. Not only that, why pick Tytania over Legend of the Galactic Heroes?
There's some alarming stuff going on here...

If you're gonna license some half-assed at least balance it with one gem.
Look at Bandai getting Turn A Gundam.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
At least Sentai didn't keep this in limbo, like Funimation has done with it's Japanese historical fiction show, Rainbow.

I was hoping that this show would be a sort of Golgo 13, but it doesn't look like it. Does it feel like a show about the Shinsengumi, only with the setting changed?

I wonder how horribly the Japanese will butcher history with this, there is a precedent. As if Hetalia wasn't bad enough. Oh, and there was that God-awful Japanese wet-dream "historical fantasy" show a few years back...Zipang, that's what it was called. Instead of trying to paint history to suit, why don't they just embrace it? The USA doesn't pretend that the Japanese concentration camps didn't happen, nor that we were routed at several battles by the British. We don't gloss over our defeats by only touting our victories, but that sounds like the path this show could easily go down. (We lost to America, so let's dwell on how we beat the crap out of China...again.)

Quote:
Night Raid half-assed. It went where Occult Academy went.
Really? Damn. I remember reading the review on ANN about Occult Academy, and how it started out alright but went down the crapper on ep 7, and sure enough, it did. I couldn't finish it, and I tried. Worse than Gurren Lagaan after they turned Kamina into Obi-Wan Kenobi. That you admit Kaze no Stigma, the Avatar + Naruto knockoff, was half-assed makes me trust your assessment more. If this show simply made a downturn in the middle, I'd still get it, but if it pulls an Occult Academy and goes from "passable" to "pure crap" then I'm out.

I think the only new thing they have that I might want is High School of the Dead, but the anime is so ridiculously fanservicey (sacrificing all realism to maximize the faux-pr0n, see the beginning of AMV Hell 5 if you don't remember) compared to the manga, and takes the manga events way out of order, so I don't know...if it gets a good dub with my favorite actors, then maybe.
(I wouldn't touch Guin Saga with a 10 foot pole, I want some realism in my fight scenes. Did Samurai Champloo's relative failing cause studios to stay away from this in general, because it is very rare, I find.)

Sentai, I want to support you, but I don't want to buy crap. You're making this VERY hard for me as of late.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
WOW I never seen this one coming it wasnt a good anime to start with and didn't 1ep get a online release
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

And those license wants sound a bit difficult to reach right now. How about: Sasameki Koto,Chu-Bru,B Gata H Kei and(Crosses fingers) Ladies VS Bulters?

No one is going to license Chu-Bru it was bad. If LvB would get licensed I think Media Blasters would get it, it fits their release profile. I doubt anyone would get B Gata H Kei (Though I would like it for my collection).

Having not seen Sasameki Koto, so if it did Sentai would probably get it.

Chu-Bra being bad is only your opininon. The preview group here went pretty nice on it.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first several episodes on fansub and I enjoyed what I saw. I'll definitely get the DVD when it comes out. Solid licensing choice on Sentai's part.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

And those license wants sound a bit difficult to reach right now. How about: Sasameki Koto,Chu-Bru,B Gata H Kei and(Crosses fingers) Ladies VS Bulters?

No one is going to license Chu-Bru it was bad. If LvB would get licensed I think Media Blasters would get it, it fits their release profile. I doubt anyone would get B Gata H Kei (Though I would like it for my collection).

Chu-Bra being bad is only your opininon. The preview group here went pretty nice on it.

Well let me rephrase that. It's not bad, but it's not good either. I know what was reviewed on this site, but I know other site were not so nice about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Chu-Bra was gutter trash, and I highly doubt any companies would touch it, or any of those other shows. Your dreams of getting lolicon/highly ero school anime are a shot in the dark.

For some reason Night Raid sparked my interest. Character designs or something. But I never got around to watching it.

From what I've heard it failed pretty hard, but I may still check it out. I don't generally agree with the masses on the quality of anime. I mean when people are using shows like Daimo to compare as "good" shows...really?

When I think of good shows I think of shows like Baccano, Bebop, and Spicy Wolf, not coated pron like Chu-Bra or LvB.

And, don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed LvB, but by no means was it "good". It was mindless boob shots and comedy, entertaining, but not good. There's a big difference there.

Getting back on topic, I may pick this up, only because I like shows like this and I don't buy much from Sentai. But, pick up something great for a change, and please release more Gintama!!!
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I only caught the first three or four episodes of this one and thought it was pretty boring. I'm surprised out of the Anime No Chikara shows this is the one they picked up.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
If they just didn't give the characters super-powers, then I could have been interested in this. Can't have an ultra-realistic setting and then be like "LOL I can stop time!".

But yeah, this show bombed horribly in Japan. I have to imagine that that this was a super-cheap license and Sentai just hoping to make a marginal profit.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I like spy shows so I gave this a try and I rather enjoyed it and loved it's visual style and music and it's generally non-flashy use of the powers was quite interesting (which probably robbed it of it's cool factor for a lot of people that might have made it a bigger hit though), so I'll be picking this up, glad it's getting a BD and likely a dub.

Eivion wrote:
I only caught the first three or four episodes of this one and thought it was pretty boring. I'm surprised out of the Anime No Chikara shows this is the one they picked up.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Occult Academy is being relatively highly contested for who's going to get the rights as I'd be shocked if it doesn't make it over.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

But yeah, this show bombed horribly in Japan. I have to imagine that that this was a super-cheap license and Sentai just hoping to make a marginal profit.

That is probably the case a cheap license so maybe they can at least either lose little money, or break eve.

EDIT: Changed the last part, I am not even sure what I was thinking.

Last edited by asimpson2006 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
why pick Tytania over Legend of the Galactic Heroes?
There's some alarming stuff going on here...

Well think about it this way? Which is the easier sell: An older OVA series that spans over 100 episodes and the last time we got any chance of it coming over, the company that owns it in Japan was thinking of charging us close to $1000 for the entire thing... Or the shorter, more recent TV series from the same creator, even if it is isn't exactly as good as the former?

Tytania is the obvious choice. As great as the title is, bringing over LOGH would be the equivalent of a company over here commiting suicide.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If they just didn't give the characters super-powers, then I could have been interested in this. Can't have an ultra-realistic setting and then be like "LOL I can stop time!".

But yeah, this show bombed horribly in Japan
Wow, a historical fiction show biased towards the Japanese failed in Japan? It must be truly abysmal. I've never heard of the show before now, and I suppose there's a reason. I despise BS history, and if they're going to throw in magic time-stopping power, it's best that I didn't see it.

If it is part of a licensing bundle, and that is the real reason Sentai is bringing it out, Sentai must get the shaft in negotiations, as they're thus being forced to put a mediocre show out on blu-ray, and presumably dub it.

Not even the powers of Calene-Black, Haag, Love, Manison, Mungle, & Patton, commanded by the skilled dub maestro that is Stephen Foster could redeem a historically inaccurate show which employs time travel. As such, they shouldn't have their talents wasted.

Oh well, it's not as though ADV didn't pick horrible titles to give flagship treatment to, nor is Funimation immune from that as I'm finding their current lineup of new shows to be such.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Heard some good things about this series. And admittedly I'm an automatic sucker for anything set in the 1920's and 30's so I'm hoping this has a similar style that Baccano! had.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Resu wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Japanese doing a story about a Chinese city during WW2.......... that can't be good. Laughing

WW2 didn't start till 1939. Unless I'm mistaken, this is set in 1931.

You're correct; I got the dates mixed up. Still, during colonization of China......... can't be good. Laughing

From what I recall, the show didn't show any nation in a glorified light and even placed the blame on the Mukden Incident on the Japanese (the episode actually had be to streamed online because of the controversy surrounding that to this day) which seems to be a lot more than what most people were expecting.
Hmm, forgot this show had an epilogue episode as well, also have to admit that this show will probably look pretty nice in BR.

EDIT: Oh, since I had totally forgotten about this, did they mention which Japanese language track they would be using? The broadcast had people speaking Chinese, Russian, German, and English (with varying degrees of convincing, apparently the VAs of the main characters could not do Chinese at all) so the DVDs also had a language track where everything was in Japanese. Wonder which one they'll use, the Japanese only one?

Last edited by wandering-dreamer on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4