• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyopop to Hold 'Garage Sale' in Los Angeles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of selling manga that likely will be left unfinished either forever for for several years to come.

Y'mean, what's the point of "buying" because the point of "selling" those is to get something out of sunk cost. Laughing

Sorry about that, I meant for the fans. Now I guess one could resell them, but I figured Tokyo Pop "garage sale" would have the same price retail. Maybe not, but I imagine the manga won't be that much cheaper.

Well, it's not Tokyopop's business to care why the fans do, do they? Laughing

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

By the fans I mean what would they gain if they bought it for the sake of reading a series if it was unfinished/discontinued from Tokyo Pop?

Collector's items? Laughing

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Any way once this sale is over with, I imagine this probably will be the last we hear of Stu Levy and manga in the same sentence most likely. Maybe not, but I heard he always wanted to go in film, so it's really hard to tell.

I already sensed this kind of separation way back when Levy wrote his raison d'etre of and in MixxZine. Confused
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I think it's hilarious that they are hosting a contest to give people the chance to buy their stuff.

I really hope nobody submits anything.

People agreed to be on American's Greatest Otaku; I wouldn't put it past some socially inept otaku to enter.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Lightning Leo wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Racheldoublemm wrote:
And that bus just perplexes me. What's going to happen to it?

DJ Milky will use it to hold all his precious Princess Ai crap *snark*

Which hopefully "explodes" under mysterious circumstances. Or we find out DJ Milky committed insurance fraud.

That bus... *snf*... it used to carry the dreams of what manga could be in America. Now the shell of its former glory, the only fittingly dramatic conclusion to its perlious road would be ironic.

Like being shoved off a cliff. Or incinerated by satellite laser. Or exploded.
Or resprayed in the livery of the LACMTA and put back on a route. Wink

That's so.... utilitarian! But then, what could be more ironic than making it useful? Laughing

Daww, now I'm just being mean, I'm sure Tokyopop really meant well, they were just, well, a little misguided with this mammoth otaku-tank. Razz
Holyknight3000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
Sadly for me one of my very first manga from them was a Korean one called Rebirth. and I doubt I will ever see the last 3-4 volumes of this series. So pissed right now...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
Wasn't it the tokyopop offices where they have an old-style British phone box sitting in the middle? I wonder who gets that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
I still think its hilarious that they're having a contest to buy stuff they're trying to get rid of to cover their costs.

Like people said, the only good thing about this is that Stu Levy will (hopefully) never be seen near anything anime/manga related ever again. ****ing hate him.

And so what if people submit crap to this stupid "contest", at least we'll get a good laugh out of it right? lol Laughing
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Like people said, the only good thing about this is that Stu Levy will (hopefully) never be seen near anything anime/manga related ever again. ****ing hate him.

He's gonna be harassing Earthquake/Tsunami survivors for a while, so don't count him out just yet.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Wasn't it the tokyopop offices where they have an old-style British phone box sitting in the middle? I wonder who gets that.
Who would want an old GPO phone box in the middle of their office? Did it actually have a locally working phone inside? Rolling Eyes
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Who would want an old GPO phone box in the middle of their office? Did it actually have a locally working phone inside? Rolling Eyes
Oh I'm sure some resourceful Dr. Who/anime fan will make use of it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
The Tardis is a Police phone box made of wood, not a telephone box made of steel.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Past wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
The Tardis is a Police phone box made of wood, not a telephone box made of steel.

Then an old-skool Superman fan then? Laughing
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
And so what if people submit crap to this stupid "contest", at least we'll get a good laugh out of it right? lol Laughing

You meant to put "crap" in quotes, right?
RestlessOne wrote:
Seeing Priest in that photo, though...What will happen to that?

All in favor of boycotting (ie. not seeing it on principal, rather than because it likely is terrible,) say Aye.
Sunday Silence wrote:
So, any chance we'll find DJ Milky's Conscience in that pile of junk?

Nope, likely pawned off long ago.
Quote:
Translation: One closet full of junk, the rest is office furniture, office supplies, and computers from 2001. Anyone want 5,000 paper clips?

Used office chair + 21st century cloning techniques + pissed-off-former-fans + ??? (the things you can do with 5k paper clips behind a door that closes is a good start) = profit!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3