• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2006

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Is Zipang any good? I find myself curious about it now because I'm interested to know how they would treat a story about "high tech" going back in time to possibly affect the LOSING side. I mean, it could make an interesting moral struggle when on the one hand you have your "countrymen" (who you know lost) and on the other hand you have the potential loss of the world as you know it.

When the topic came up in the "Talkback" section, there was already a lot of "hot topic-controversy" arguements going on, as (little did I know) WWII and the Japanese are still touchy subjects. You could look up the thread there for more details, but in a nutshell, I got to watch the first 20 eps of Zipang and I thought it was fantastic-- very morally complicated and ambiguous, very mature and levelheaded about the subject, very respectful of both side fo the war (all in all-- it _is_ a Japanese production after all), good production values (great orchestral soundtrack), good dialogue, etc. etc. Hardly a misstep, IMO. A great show, up there with Mushishi as one of the best shows (to me) to come out in the last couple of years. I'm very excited about it being liscenced.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear someone is confirming that YTV has Destiny.

Sad to hear about no Gundam on US Tv. Atleast you can say you won't have to see any Disco Guns.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:

You could look up the thread there for more details, but in a nutshell, I got to watch the first 20 eps of Zipang and I thought it was fantastic-- very morally complicated and ambiguous, very mature and levelheaded about the subject, very respectful of both side fo the war (all in all-- it _is_ a Japanese production after all), good production values (great orchestral soundtrack), good dialogue, etc. etc. I'm very excited about it being liscenced.

I like what I hear thus far, I've been looking forward to something that is good. And while I have finished Mushishi, I am looking forward to see how Zipang turns out. WWII anime there aren't exactly a ton of those huh? I mean is there anything like D-day Or stalingrad, I know there was an another series that the Ursa (I think) about this person going back in time to WWII.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
OneLeggedMonk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster.................I have waited soooo Long. Thankyou Bandai, Thankyou!
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Bandai wrote:
Next up was new news on the .hack series. Bandai has acquired the license to the 26-episode anime series .hack//Roots. This animation ties into the three upcoming .hack//G.U. Playstation 2 games. The series is being pushed for TV at the end of 2006 and DVD in 2007.

So Root is going to continue on for series playing on AS/CN. 2007 DVD release, I hope that means early in 2007, I wonder if Bandai intends to do the same Special edition things from SIGN where the SE came out a month before the regular ones.

Bandai wrote:
Lots of announcements were made about Ghost in the Shell TV. Bandai Entertainment has acquired the rights to two of the OVA series: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Individual Eleven. They also announced the license for the movie placed in the Stand Alone Complex universe, Ghost in the Shell – Solid State Society.

Damn the Solid State Society already licensed? What the hell, I guess they are not taking any chances, I mean there isn't even a page for Solid State yet. The OVA should be cool if you weren't collecting the series, although Individual Eleven (2nd Gig) is such a good season it's would be hard to just to buy that, whereas the Laughing Man could be watched alone I think.

Geneon wrote:
Hellsing Ultimate is currently scheduled for release on December 5
Thank the good lord this thing is finally coming out there been so many people asking me about this sucker. This should be interesting depending on how sales are for this title it makes you wonder what other series might get a chance to come back.

Round up wrote:
AX 2006 Licensing Roundup 17 anime, 22 manga, 2 novels
And yet another convention goes by and damn it to hell no one has licensed Monster! Augh does not pain reach out to ADV, Manga, Funimation, Geneon, or any company.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm going to double-check this; obviously it's a mistake, but I need to find out if the panelists made the error or the report is wrong first. It will be fixed.

I guess the error I mentioned is just going to be ignored then... Really, I don't think I'm being nitpicky, it's actually is a real error. I... don't have any proof now though (should have recorded the panel), so I guess it can't be helped... when Broccoli Int. puts it on their website I'll have some form of proof though. Guess I'll just wait until then.
animalia555

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In particular, Hikaru no Go and MÄR were highlighted as shows that will premiere and only be shown on the Jetstream service. These shows will still see traditional DVD releases later on
Dose this mean that the MAR Dvd's will be uncut, instead of like Zatch Bell?

Last edited by animalia555 on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally look at any of the Viz or tokyopop panel since I am not really into manga, but there were a couple of things that caught my eye when I was scanning these real quick. For Manga I was glad to hear that Trinity Blood was getting a Manga release. I know lots of people were lost after series wasn't pick up for season 2.

As for the novel I am so happy that us Twelve Kingdoms finally get to see how things happened. Since the last 5-6 episodes were such a let down. And also on top of that the original novel for trinity blood is going to be released. One quick question did someone pick up for the original author after he died or did the novels just come to an adrupt end?

One real reason I was actually scanning the tokyopop panel was to see if there was going to be an announcment about the .Hack//Zero novels to be released. I know the original AI Buster did very well and is the reason why we (North America) were able to get the other AI novel and the new another birth novel. But hopefully in sometime Tokyopop will make the announcement that they have acquired the series.

Onto the Viz I was also looking here for a certain license acquisition, Another Monster although I am not expecting any sort of announcement until the series is close to being release completely in the US. But oh well as long as someone brings it out sometime in the future.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
OneLeggedMonk wrote:
Gunbuster.................I have waited soooo Long. Thankyou Bandai, Thankyou!

That's what I'm saying. About time someone picked this back up for release. I'm glad there's been a bit of a trend to release more classic anime lately. Good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
x_Shinta_x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone even read these American "manga" thingies Tokyopop pushes onto shelves?
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
That is so cool that Tokyopop will be releasing Aria! Seems a bit of a waste to start over from #1 though. Hopefully, the translation and the production value will be better. (Please don't tell me they're just going to reprint the first three volume with no changes!) Anything would be better than the schedule those morons at adv put out....when they have one. I don't follow Peacemaker but I know there are lots of fans that have been in limbo thanks again to the losers at ADV. I think it would be better if they just got out of the manga business altogether. They are an embarrassment and a morality tale to other publishers of how NOT to get into the manga business. Even their anime licensing has gotten a little spotty lately. Their company used to account for a majority of the dvds I would buy, but they hardly put out anything worthwhile anymore. Unless you count the infinite incredible divine ultimate edition of EVA they're hawking now, which is a anime they've hyped into being more than it ever was. I've been dying to read the Twelve Kingdoms novels since I watched the whole series last year and it seemed there was so much story left out of the anime.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
Hopefully, the translation and the production value will be better. (Please don't tell me they're just going to reprint the first three volume with no changes!)

The Tokyopop reps specifically mentioned that they would be correcting all of the issues with the original release, and bringing them up to the quality of TP's other titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Hey, did anyone else go to ANN's panel? I was in the very front left seat doing some recording, but... I really don't talk much at all, so I didn't say anything... except I asked Bamboo one question after the panel. She was surprised to see me I think. I would have said "hi" to other people but I'm too damn shy...

I went. I was the annoying girl who asked Carlo how he picked his import manga for RTO (I wonder if he takes suggestions) and I shouted to Zac that I love his cats! Razz

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I was overjoyed that TokyoPop was taking over Tactics. Also that they licensed my two favorite manga, Wild Adapter and Gakuen Heaven. Now if only they would pick up Zombie-Loan (since they have three other of Peach-Pit's manga) I would be simply ecstatic.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
I went. I was the annoying girl who asked Carlo how he picked his import manga for RTO (I wonder if he takes suggestions) and I shouted to Zac that I love his cats! Razz

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I was overjoyed that TokyoPop was taking over Tactics. Also that they licensed my two favorite manga, Wild Adapter and Gakuen Heaven. Now if only they would pick up Zombie-Loan (since they have three other of Peach-Pit's manga) I would be simply ecstatic.

Not annoying at all! Your question just kinda caught me off guard. Wink

And I do take suggestions, with the only condition being that I have to like it a lot in order for it to qualify for the Import section.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
x_Shinta_x wrote:
Does anyone even read these American "manga" thingies Tokyopop pushes onto shelves?

Apparently, Bizenghast sells pretty well. But for the love of God, I can't see why, and even let one of their employees know that - he laughed!

And although this is just shameless pimping, if everyone who went to Expo could PLEASE take a look at my thread in the conventions section, I'll love you forever.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8