• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket Sets Booklist Record

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
It's always good to see manga doing so well! I can't believe it topped Naruto, but I'll get over it. Volume 14, too. Didn't that come out recently? I was over my cousin's house two days ago and she was showing it off, saying she had just bought it.

I think that there are definitely a fair amount of male readers of the series out there. I didn't really enjoy it all too much. I read most of the first volume the other day, and I thought it was kinda' corny. It's not really my style, seeing as how I'm a Shonen fan. I bet I do know a book which mostly women would buy, though.......Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex?! It's number 16 on the booklist. I bet it's probably just one of those books that examines the differences between men and women, and how they react in certain situations. Such pointless crap. It probably just sells because of the name and how it somehow appeals to some horny, 40 year-old women, who sit on their couches all day, while eating Bon-Bons and watching Oprah.

Well, either way, it's good to see manga doing well, and I look forward to more success to the series. Number 24 is high, but it can get even higher, and let's hope for that.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
I bet I do know a book which mostly women would buy, though.......Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex?! It's number 16 on the booklist. I bet it's probably just one of those books that examines the differences between men and women, and how they react in certain situations. Such pointless crap. It probably just sells because of the name and how it somehow appeals to some horny, 40 year-old women, who sit on their couches all day, while eating Bon-Bons and watching Oprah.

Damn take a chill pill....it's good to see people are reading at least while their watching Oprah......
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Which brings me to my next point......How many guys are actually reading this (Fruit Basket)?
I am one of those guys who read it. I saw the series first and decided to give the manga a try. This was before my shojo-manga-phobia. Nowadays, I find shojo a change of pace from the shonen manga I read.
Bethachu wrote:
I haven't seen this mentioned in the posts (maybe I missed it?), but does anyone know why the volumes are being released so slowly in the U.S.? Last summer they blitzed us with one a month, now it's every 3-4 months before the next volume appears on the shelves. The title is obviously a successful one. So... Any insight?
It gets to be a problem for stores to get something new every month. They do run out of shelf space fast considering the manga does not sell as fast as they receive it. The wait is to give the title time to sell so they do not do a rush job on the production.

It is great to Fruits Basket doing very well. I still have not picked up my copy. After Fruits Basket finishes its run, what will be Tokyopop's next great hit?
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Seca wrote:
No, shoujo manga sells. Shoujo anime is a completely different story. Hence why there are tons upon tons of shoujo manga titles out in the market and very few shoujo anime series.

Shoujo anime tends to be poorly dubbed and very expensive; specifically, Hana Yori Dango comes to mind. FUNimation was the first company to produce a high quality shoujo title at a fair price; sure, Fruits Basket the anime cannot compare to its manga counterpart, but for an anime it sold extraordinarily well, especially as a shoujo title.

Not five months past I was a harsh critic of shoujo titles; I still am, but I've softened considerably to shoujo romances (I cannot understand, for the very life of me, how anyone could enjoy Fruits Basket). Ouran is a title that can appeal to both boys and girls, even moreso than Fruits Basket.

Heck, I'd even recommend it for [adult swim] to replace Inu-Yasa, because how many boys watch that show anymore, anyway?
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Seca wrote:
No, shoujo manga sells. Shoujo anime is a completely different story. Hence why there are tons upon tons of shoujo manga titles out in the market and very few shoujo anime series.

Shoujo anime tends to be poorly dubbed and very expensive; specifically, Hana Yori Dango comes to mind. FUNimation was the first company to produce a high quality shoujo title at a fair price; sure, Fruits Basket the anime cannot compare to its manga counterpart, but for an anime it sold extraordinarily well, especially as a shoujo title.

From what I remember, Fruit Basket was first release as 40 MSRP because it contain more episode back in 02. It didn't even sell well and the idea flop (you don't see funimation doing it again), they took the lost and sold lower the retail price to 30, to make back some profit. It did sell well then, but probably not as good as Funimation hope to do.

Manga does well with female audience than anime. Shoujo success in manga doesn't translate to anime.

Malintex Terek wrote:

Heck, I'd even recommend it for [adult swim] to replace Inu-Yasa, because how many boys watch that show anymore, anyway?

There are thousand of new baby born in the US every day, thus there are new anime fan every year that discover anime through InuYasha. Don't limit yourself to just current fan/customer, or else you won't make it in the business world.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Ouran is a title that can appeal to both boys and girls, even moreso than Fruits Basket.

Where is Ouran on Booklist? Until it actually TOPS Fruits Basket, I'll forever doubt Ouran's ability to have wider audience potential than Fruits Basket.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm a male fan of Fruits Basket, and I've been buying those manga volumes every four months. It's great to see it doing so well, and maybe we'll have a repeat with holiday buying when Vol. 15 comes out in December.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:

Yes, some males buy Fruits Basket, but the majority of the fans are females. What I think this shows is how powerful the female demographic is in selling manga.

It's been well known the females represent the majority of manga buyers for quite some time; FB just happens to have gained a massive fanbase, so it's easier to see how popular shojo is with this one title.

Precisely; also, female readers often read shounen regularly as well. I would think that many more females bought Naruto than males did Fruits Basket. Female readers are immensely important to the manga market, so it's no wonder that companies have been (wisely) tapping into this demographic.

I also agree with the point about shounen being more popular in anime form, whereas shoujo often excels as manga. I think this is partly due to the fact that many shounen contain quite a bit of action, which usually translates better on the screen. Shoujo, on the other hand, can often seem, er, overly melodramatic in anime, when it doesn't in manga. (This is, of course, drawn from my own opinion about the genres.) And again, most manga fans are female, and anime fans male.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
IvoryBirch wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:

Yes, some males buy Fruits Basket, but the majority of the fans are females. What I think this shows is how powerful the female demographic is in selling manga.

It's been well known the females represent the majority of manga buyers for quite some time; FB just happens to have gained a massive fanbase, so it's easier to see how popular shojo is with this one title.

I also agree with the point about shounen being more popular in anime form, whereas shoujo often excels as manga. I think this is partly due to the fact that many shounen contain quite a bit of action, which usually translates better on the screen. Shoujo, on the other hand, can often seem, er, overly melodramatic in anime, when it doesn't in manga. (This is, of course, drawn from my own opinion about the genres.) And again, most manga fans are female, and anime fans male.

I think it depends. I find that plenty of shojo manga are just as melodramatic as the animes; I liked the quirky humor on the Fruits Basket anime and the manga in the beginning, but the unbelievably sappy character interaction and the melodrama have turned me off in a major way (admittingly I'm not the target audience and am quite jaded). The very tongue-in-cheek Ouran Host Club anime was another huge improvement over the manga. I'm not exactly an expert on this subject of "shojo dramas turning into animes" though, as the shojo titles I most enjoy of late are more comedy geared (Koukou Debut, Lovely Complex), and I'd rather read josei or seinen for serious drama.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:

From what I remember, Fruit[s] Basket was first release as 40 MSRP because it contain more episode back in 02. It didn't even sell well and the idea flop (you don't see funimation doing it again), they took the lost and sold lower the retail price to 30, to make back some profit. It did sell well then, but probably not as good as Funimation hope to do.

What is "MSRP"?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
MSRP = Manufacturer's (sp?) Suggested Retail Price
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if you are serious or not, I am assuming you are not. But just in case.

Manufactures Suggested Retail Price.

we need sarcasm tags
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:

From what I remember, Fruit Basket was first release as 40 MSRP because it contain more episode back in 02. It didn't even sell well and the idea flop (you don't see funimation doing it again), they took the lost and sold lower the retail price to 30, to make back some profit. It did sell well then, but probably not as good as Funimation hope to do.

If it didn't sell well for FUNimation, I doubt they'd be pushing to have a sequel series created.

Also, when I needed to raise some capital a year ago, I purchased a large number of the Furuba DVD sets from FUNimation for dirt cheap. I was able to then sell every one of them for a nice profit on eBay without breaking a sweat, which was still under the normal $100 retail price. Granted, that's just anecdotal evidence, but there you are.

Malintex Terek wrote:
What is "MSRP"?

Manufacture's Suggested Retail Price
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:32 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I don't know if you are serious or not, I am assuming you are not. But just in case.

we need sarcasm tags

I didn't know that myself. Like Zalis, whenever I get wind of a Fruits Basket manga coming out, I make sure to pre-order it Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:06 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

we need sarcasm tags

I didn't know that myself. Like Zalis, whenever I get wind of a Fruits Basket manga coming out, I make sure to pre-order it Wink
Actually, I don't really pre-order manga--I just hope that the Barnes & Noble deities are on my side during release weeks. And I confess, I started reading scans when the 4-month wait between volumes 11 and 12 was announced, so buying the latest volume is "doing the right thing" rather than needing to know what happens next. I'm rereading at volume 6 at the moment, so I'll get caught up eventually.

And by the way, it's not "Manufactures"; I could say, "Toyota manufactures cars," but if I wanted to say what MSRP means, it would be Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.
to manufacture = to build/create something
(present tense conjugations = I/you/we/they manufacture, he/she/it manufactures)
manufacturer = someone who builds or creates
manufacturer's *** = *** belonging to a manufacturer (yes, there does need to be an apostrophe ' in there). HitokiriShadow was correct.
manufacture's =/= a word, probably.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4