• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crazy, stupid, love (the emotions, not the movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Any sort of act deemed incestuous is illegal pretty much everywhere. What varies is typically what is considered incest in the first place (ex. a culture that does not view the father as being a child's relative would not view father/daughter as incestuous). Basically if you sleep with anyone the law says you can't sleep with, even if everything's fully consentual, you can be slapped with criminal charges.

There are cases, but I don't think you could really say they're representative. Due to the nature of the relationship, it could go unnoticed and unreported for years. The couple are likely to be as secretive as possible and might only get the spotlight if they try to fight the courts. What you describe gets more news coverage because of how attention grabbing they can be.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
@Vaisaga

I stand corrected. What I was getting at with the latter was that most anime incest is about as realistic as, say, a high school harem. Fantasy basically.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Erm, let's get back on topic.

I really hate the "romance" in Kanokon. Most you know this. I know it's supposed to be funny and cute...but I can't get past the "I have no respect for you so I'm gonna sexually molest you if I wanna" aspect. :/ And the fact that Kouta looks like an eight-year-old boy does not help things. Chizuru has the worst personality I've ever seen from a female love interest in harem-type anime....and that's saying a lot.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
It's not necessarily a fantasy. Remember that what constitutes incest differs by region. In addition, whether a ban on incestuous marriage is backed by criminal penalties depends on the place and type of marriage. To use some examples:

1. In California, if two people's family relationship causes their would-be marriage to be void, then the sexual relationship is a criminal offense. section 285.

2. In Oregon, first cousin marriage is banned. 106.020 But there's no criminal offense for it (or uncle/aunt and nephew/niece sexual relationship). 163.525.

3. In China, first cousin marriage is banned at the national level. 7(1) But there's no criminal offense for it (or any incestuous relationship, for that matter).

A lot of places don't bother to back it up with criminal penalties on sexual relationship because they are satisfied with the results of social taboo, because they don't think it's important enough, or because they think it's not serious enough to warrant criminal penalties unless there's some other relationship (guardian being most likely).

So the taboo illegal sexual relationship fantasy may be well and alive. Smile
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Erm, let's get back on topic.

I really hate the "romance" in Kanokon. Most you know this. I know it's supposed to be funny and cute...but I can't get past the "I have no respect for you so I'm gonna sexually molest you if I wanna" aspect. :/ And the fact that Kouta looks like an eight-year-old boy does not help things. Chizuru has the worst personality I've ever seen from a female love interest in harem-type anime....and that's saying a lot.

Thus far that's the only show I've ever dropped in disgust. I was fine with it at first since it was pretty typical, but I didn't make it past episode 4 (I think) because of that spanking scene. For a moment it looked like MC had put his foot down and told fox girl to knock it off, but when she prods him to spank her... He actually does it! Way to grow a pair only to have them chopped off a minute later.

I'm not a fan of pushy female leads in general, with Nyaruko-san being a specific example. She persues Mahiro super aggressively, ignoring his feelings completely, screwing up his life repeatedly and all the while she's all "WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME YOU SHOULD LOVE ME WHY DON'T YOU?!?!" She never gets a hint and never learns from her mistakes. She doesn't grow up at all, and knowing how these things go she'll be rewarded for her bad behaviour in the end.

Kuuko ftw.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Thus far that's the only show I've ever dropped in disgust.

High-five, dude. :'D
Oh....it got WORSE. So....so so much worse....you are so lucky to have dropped it right then. I am kind of envious. lol

......that's a pity about Nyaruko. I thought her design was cute (I only know her from the saimoe tournaments lol) but.....no character development for the lose. :[
*looks up show's website*
Argh "love at first sight" nooooooooooooo DX I hate that! Enough with that! It's so freaking LAZY! There are much better ways to make characters like each other, dammit!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ EVEN DISNEY MOVIES KNOW THIS NOW.

Ryouko from Tenchi Muyo is also bit pushy...but she at least began to give the guy some space and grew to be less selfish (a lot less selfish) towards the end of the series. (Universe that is) I cannot help but really like her. :]
Sakuya, I hated....but Tenchi in Tokyo is the black sheep that 99% of Tenchi fans like to pretend never existed, in fact...huh...I don't know what I was talking about. :'D

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I honestly have no idea what possessed me to watch all of Kanokon. when dub came out, I tried to watch it again. I think I lasted until Chizuru lost her tits, then gave up. pretty mediocre dub as well
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
In Ceres, spoiler[Yuuhi was much better for Aya than Touya, but he gets shoved off to the side pretty quickly in favor of the dark and handsome stranger. And then his new love interest gets killed off--the kind of development that finally allowed him to end up with Aya that still leaves a bitter aftertaste.]

Ugh, yes! Ceres is one of my favorite manga but the main "romance" is my least favorite thing about it. Aya and Touya make no sense together and don't have any chemistry; since their relationship is symbolic of many things the series discusses, it really does hurt the overall quality of the series, which is a shame. I actually have this problem with quite a few Yuu Watase series xD I think Genbu Kaiden's the first one where I've actually, genuinely cared about the main couple and it's such a shock that I'm having trouble reconciling it with my impressions of her previous works xD

Only other series I can think of where I was really upset about a pairing is Kaname x Yuuki in Vampire Knight--because, you know, ew, for a lot of reasons--but I dropped the series before it ended and I think spoiler[she ends up with Zero in the last chapter]? Idk, it was confusing and I was trying to read it raw (I happened to buy that issue of Lala while in Japan, so I figured why not see how it ends.)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Raftina wrote:
In Ceres, spoiler[Yuuhi was much better for Aya than Touya, but he gets shoved off to the side pretty quickly in favor of the dark and handsome stranger. And then his new love interest gets killed off--the kind of development that finally allowed him to end up with Aya that still leaves a bitter aftertaste.]

Ugh, yes! Ceres is one of my favorite manga but the main "romance" is my least favorite thing about it. Aya and Touya make no sense together and don't have any chemistry; since their relationship is symbolic of many things the series discusses, it really does hurt the overall quality of the series, which is a shame. I actually have this problem with quite a few Yuu Watase series xD I think Genbu Kaiden's the first one where I've actually, genuinely cared about the main couple and it's such a shock that I'm having trouble reconciling it with my impressions of her previous works xD

Only other series I can think of where I was really upset about a pairing is Kaname x Yuuki in Vampire Knight--because, you know, ew, for a lot of reasons--but I dropped the series before it ended and I think spoiler[she ends up with Zero in the last chapter]? Idk, it was confusing and I was trying to read it raw (I happened to buy that issue of Lala while in Japan, so I figured why not see how it ends.)

MY GOD, BUT I AGREE WITH ALL OF THIS!!

Hate KanamexYuuki because indeed EW.
Spoiler for end
spoiler[Kaname sacrifices himself because I don't know so Yuuki marries Zero and has a child with him, then a thousand years later, she gives her life to awaken Kaname. Could have been worse, I guess.]
Totally missed the Ceres post but YES. Team Yuuhi. The tragic thing, I loved ChidorixYuuhi too. But no, Yuuhi was nothing but Watase's BUTT MONKEY and all she did was torture the poor boy. Twisted Evil

Another ship I don't like: KallenxLelouch.
But unlike the other ships, I don't have a good reason.
I just....don't like it.
I liked both C.C. and Shirley for him better. :/ Normally I have better reasons than that...but yeah, KxL ship has something I can't put my finger on....
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I also dislike Kaname/Yuuki. And the ending is kind of messed. spoiler[Kaname gives up his heart to become the forge for hunter weapons. He tells Zero and Yuuki to be happy together, which they are. Thousands of years later, Yuuki and her two kids (one by Kaname, one by Zero), revive Kaname, Yuuki giving her life to turn him human.]

Lelouch/C.C. is definitely the way to go. Shame nothing ever came of it.

Also while I've developed a soft spot for Rias, Issei should really give Asia more serious consideration in Highschool DxD.

Why must the sweet ones always lose? Keitaro, you took way too many hits to the head if you picked that walking domestic violence case over Shinobu!
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
I was sort of rooting for KanamexYuki, but that was more because it was the only way to not have ZeroxYuki than because I liked the pairing in any way. There's a one sided abusive relationship in the making. Though I dropped the series when spoiler[we found out Yuki was a shinso,] so perhaps I missed why people dislike KanamexYuki so much.

rheiders wrote:
I actually have this problem with quite a few Yuu Watase series xD I think Genbu Kaiden's the first one where I've actually, genuinely cared about the main couple and it's such a shock that I'm having trouble reconciling it with my impressions of her previous works xD

Genbu Kaiden was definitely the Watase romance that I liked the most, though Arata is ongoing and might dethrone that. Not likely, given what I've read so far though. The only ones that I really had problem with were Ceres and Absolute Boyfriend, for pretty much the same reason actually.

Vaisaga wrote:
I'm not a fan of pushy female leads in general, with Nyaruko-san being a specific example.

Pushy ones make for pretty entertaining antics to watch. I prefer the RanaxKazuya interactions a lot more than the SatellizerxKazuya interactions. Then again, Satellizer had the personality of a block of wood with anger management issues, so it was an easy victory, so to speak.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Why must the sweet ones always lose? Keitaro, you took way too many hits to the head if you picked that walking domestic violence case over Shinobu!

It could be that she felt more like a little sister to him but I agree, Shinobu was a sweetie and actually one of my favorite characters from the series.
My favorite part in the manga was when spoiler[Shinobu accidentally got drunk on a date with him and started having a tantrum on the floor like a little kid, screaming "SENPAI NO BAAAAAAAKA!!!"].
SO FUNNY. Anime hyper

Quote:
Lelouch/C.C. is definitely the way to go. Shame nothing ever came of it.

I bought two cell phone mascots so they would always be together. >:I
(same for KaminaxYoko....uh, actually I did this for a lot of ships...it's becoming a habit Anime hyper)
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
one sided abusive relationship...why people dislike KanamexYuki so much.

Heh, boy, if you wanna talk about "one sided abusive relationships"... Laughing spoiler[Also they're related by blood in two different ways.]

Vaisaga wrote:
spoiler[Kaname gives up his heart to become the forge for hunter weapons. He tells Zero and Yuuki to be happy together, which they are. Thousands of years later, Yuuki and her two kids (one by Kaname, one by Zero), revive Kaname, Yuuki giving her life to turn him human.]

You know, this explains why I was so confused when I was reading it. Laughing

Chiibi wrote:
I bought two cell phone mascots so they would always be together. >:I
(same for KaminaxYoko....uh, actually I did this for a lot of ships...it's becoming a habit)

I don't even collect cell phone straps but I totally did this for Roy and Riza xD

Last edited by rheiders on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
I firmly believe that Yamato should have been with Honoka, but the moron blew it, and it pissed me off. I really didn't like Suzuka very much
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Personally I dislike KanamexYuuki so much because it's BORING...but the other stuff surrounding them really makes it even worse.

It pisses me off when a girl so over the moon over a boring guy that she doesn't even notice the feelings of a more interesting love interest.
I really hate that.

rheiders wrote:
I don't even collect cell phone straps but I totally did this for Roy and Riza xD

That's awesome. Anime hyper
Though Word of God says they would definitely be together if not for the positions they are in currently. :]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5