• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ace of Bakes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
To Bamboo: I know you're busy with two columns and all and I never want to pressure you, but do you have a general schedule for Stream this season? It is one of my favorite features at this point, and if you have any rough idea of the pattern of when they might be posted (after 6 episodes, etc.) it would be most appreciated.

Not required of course; if the answer is "whenever I have time," that's fine too. Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
If I remember right, Zac had listed up a 'help wanted' of sorts of somebody who watches a lot of the current season anime via legal streams and can write about it. I think the person who is eventually hired (if the position hasn't been filled already) will be the new author of The Stream, though I could be wrong on that.

EDIT: Here under 'Streaming Anime Reviewer'
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, I'm aware that ANN is looking to hire/intern a new writer, but is The Stream discontinued in the meantime? I understand if it is, I just want a confirmation. Thanks!
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
"Slice of Life" is so overused. Mushishi isn't a slice of anyone's life, it's a series of episodic, fantastical, morality tales (morality as in "the stories have a theme and a point to make," not "good vs. evil").

You have my highest respect for saying all of that.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Wait... what? How can the Blood-C movie be any good when the series was such complete garbage?

The series suffered from being needed as an introduction to the movie, but also needing to be 12 episodes in length.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If I remember right, Zac had listed up a 'help wanted' of sorts of somebody who watches a lot of the current season anime via legal streams and can write about it. I think the person who is eventually hired (if the position hasn't been filled already) will be the new author of The Stream, though I could be wrong on that.

Anime hyper Must've missed that. Thanks for the link and the info.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Look at it the other way. There really isn't a plot in most slice-of-life shows... there's no overarching problem/climax/resolution.

Looks like you completely missed the point of my post.

At the end of the day, I see the statement "'insert slice-of-life show here' doesn't have a plot/story" as just an overused way for those who don't like slice-of-life shows to unfairly bash them.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Anime hyper Must've missed that. Thanks for the link and the info.

Yeah, there aren't any concrete plans at this point as I'm still going through the (hundreds and hundreds of) resumes, but the plan right now is to run Shelf Life 3 times a month and then The Stream - with two writers or maybe three - will launch with the Winter season and will likely be a new weekly feature on its own, published on a different day.

Just tentative plans for now, but it's shaping up that way.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
"Slice of Life" is so overused. Mushishi isn't a slice of anyone's life, it's a series of episodic, fantastical, morality tales (morality as in "the stories have a theme and a point to make," not "good vs. evil").

You have my highest respect for saying all of that.
I concur. I found myself o.0 at the "I consider Mushishi to be SoL" comment but I read past it and was pleasantly surprised to see that you had already corrected that wrong.
Quote:
Personally, I am surprised the Blood-C movie got a good review. Personally, I thought it dragged on, introduced like 6 pointless characters (including a goth-loli hacker who types with her toes to hack faster) , shoehorns in useless cameos, and the action scenes were just so empty while trying to hard to be cool. gore for the sake of gore, blood for the sake of blood (no how matter how much blood they lose it doesn't affect anyone) and strange use of cgi. I felt dumber after watching it. That's just my opinion though/
You guys are making me feel horrible about having this movie in my collection. At the very least it has a fairly impressive English language extra so even if the movie itself is a steaming pile, as this post I've quoted makes it seem, then I won't feel so bad as I "voted with my dollar" for English extras. Here's hoping that watching this movie won't be as painful as I found watching Garden of Words, another property I bought solely for the extras, to be.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
Look at it the other way. There really isn't a plot in most slice-of-life shows... there's no overarching problem/climax/resolution.

Looks like you completely missed the point of my post.

At the end of the day, I see the statement "'insert slice-of-life show here' doesn't have a plot/story" as just an overused way for those who don't like slice-of-life shows to unfairly bash them.

I actually have to agree with you, I enjoy watching 1-2 sol shows a season since they put me in a calm mood. I can personally sit back enjoy watching the characters interacting with one another. still I think the only sol shows that did have a plot/progress was azumanga daioh and lucky star due in part it went from from their first year to graduation from high-school.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yeah, there aren't any concrete plans at this point as I'm still going through the (hundreds and hundreds of) resumes, but the plan right now is to run Shelf Life 3 times a month and then The Stream - with two writers or maybe three - will launch with the Winter season and will likely be a new weekly feature on its own, published on a different day.

Just tentative plans for now, but it's shaping up that way.

Thanks for the information Zac. The Stream is my favorite ANN column, and I am looking forward to it in Winter. Bamboo will be missed if she is not able to keep writing The Stream.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Shining Hearts on TAN, and I have to agree fully with the review. It's like it was trying to be a fan service show for bread lovers the way the camera was pans over the bread in the show. The end of the review definitely sums it up, it's not bad that it'd make you stop watching, it's just not good. I don't know what the plot of the game is, but I can't imagine how they got from there to this as I'm sure the game wasn't about making bread.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Plot of the game is baking bread and delivering it to people in town (and collecting various colors of hearts)... for about 30 minutes. After that you should have enough hearts to repair your boat and go off to other islands to collect more ingredients for better bread. Eventually a plot sort of arises (featuring a character that the anime didn't even get to, and who is by far the most popular character in the game) but yeah, the anime isn't even close.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
I don't know if you are hearing this all the time Bamboo, but I love you! IMHO you are the best reviewer on ANN. The way you got into full satirical mode and bash some of those horrible series... those reviews are always great. Zac could take a lesson or two Wink. Don't ever change or quit for too long (we all need a break sometimes though).
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
I was going to, and probably should have, let this go. But enough people have commented on what I said that I cannot resist the urge to at least try to better explain my opinion.

Some people seem to consider "slice of life" to be a derogatory term and get offended when it is applied to a show that they like. I do not think that "slice of life" was ever intended to be derogatory and I definitely never use it that way.
When I say "slice of life" it is not an insult.

And "characters doing nothing" is not part of the definition of slice of life.

Mikeski wrote:
Mushi-shi certainly has a plot per episode, so while it's sort of "slice of life" in narrative style, it's also something else ...

All slice of life shows are something else. As you said slice of life is a narrative style. It is not a genre in the sense of dealing with a specific type of content or subject. Slice of life shows can be in any genre.
Mushi-shi is a fantasy drama presented in the slice of life narrative style.

Agent355 wrote:
Mushishi isn't a slice of anyone's life,

Each episode is a slice of Ginko's life.

There may be some stories that span two episodes, I really do not remember, but most of the episodes are independent.
Each episode has different characters with different stories about different mushi. They have no significant connection other than being parts of Ginko's experience.

I like Mushi-shi and when I call it slice of life I do not mean that as an insult. It is just a description of how the stories are told.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5