• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Most Dangerous Alien Planets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't make any sense to me. Last weeks poll was "worst series of 2013" yet some of the top chosen like Attack on Titan and Flowers of Evil were actually the best and have very high user rating on there pages. I think many people got confused with the meaning of "worst."
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
This doesn't make any sense to me. Last weeks poll was "worst series of 2013" yet some of the top chosen like Attack on Titan and Flowers of Evil were actually the best and have very high user rating on there pages. I think many people got confused with the meaning of "worst."

angelmcazares wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Ah, the old "stop disliking what I like" phenomenon you see everywhere. You know, speaking neutrally here, it is possible there were some people who saw AoT and FoE and genuinely didn't like them. Can't assume it's because of trolling or anti-hypers every time.

Yeah, but saying you did not like something is different from saying it was the worst. Flowers of Evil and Attack on Titan have their faults and are not masterpieces to me, but they were at least good. Saying that these two animes were the worst 2013 is ludicrous.

Or maybe people just have different opinions, I know that might sound rather crazy to some of you.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
i don't have problem voting for Flowers of Evil. it's either very bad or very good depends on who you talk to, so you should expect it gets alot of "worst of" or "best of".

I alot people think AoT has one of the most horrible animation this year. Kill la kill is getting the same hate on the animation now.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Typo Awesome: "man-eating planets" lol awesome mental image.

Wow, my pick for worst show, Danganronpa was apparently so bad it didn't even chart. Congrats to everyone for staying away from it.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
You know, speaking neutrally here, it is possible there were some people who saw AoT and FoE and genuinely didn't like them. Can't assume it's because of trolling or anti-hypers every time.

Perhaps a more useful (but more difficult to measure) statistic would be the percentage of people who watched each show and didn't like it. Using numbers from MAL, and the total number of people who scored each show <4/10 (Bad or below) we get this:

Attack on Titan is on 216,000 people's lists, of which 127,000 have completed it. Of those 216,000, 144,192 have rated it, and just 1466 have scored it 4 or less. That works out to 0.01% of people who've rated it thinking it's bad. By contrast, 56,964 or 0.395% of people have rated it 10/10 (Masterpiece)

Compared to Flowers of Evil, which is on 36,000 people's lists and 14,500 have completed it. Of those 36,000, 16,577 people have rated it, and 2,775 have rated it 4 or less. That works out to 0.17% of people who've rated it thinking it was bad. 1568, or 0.09% of people have rated it 10/10.

So proportionally, 10 times as many people who watch Flowers of Evil think it's bad compared to those who watch Attack on Titan. (0.17% vs 0.01%) However, 4.39 times as many people who watch Flowers of Evil have rated it 10/10 compared to those who've watched Attack on Titan (0.09% vs 0.395%)

Does this prove anything? People who watch Flowers of Evil are nearly 5 times more likely to rate it 10/10 than people who watch Attack on Titan. (I have no way of telling what the crossover proportion is) Does that make it more popular or better? Who knows....

Disclaimer: You can prove anything with statistics

Last edited by st_owly on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Amoi really belongs on this list, certainly not at #2 (I'd bump Gunsmoke up to that position), and I think its inclusion is based on misunderstanding their social structure.

Hair color was only significant among the elites of Tanagura, and black haired people were generally office supervisors and such clerical occupations. It's true that for Tanagurans, the darker the hair color, the lower the social status (and upward mobility was a non-existent concept), but still, it wasn't a hell on Amoi for them. Tanagura actually seemed like a nice place to live for most of its people. Certainly a beautiful one on the surface. Its neighbor Midas was like an extreme Las Vegas.

Also, mongrels were not pets - pets were genetically engineered and carefully bred like show animals. Riki was the unprecedented exception, which was pretty much the basis for the plot. The most mongrels in Ceres could hope for was being one of the few selected as Furniture, which offered a fairly cushy life (at a terrible cost) compared to the hopeless future that was their usual lot.

But aside from the technology and an artificially created gender imbalance (even that exists in some countries, though not to such an extreme), I'm not sure there's much of anything in Ai no Kusabi that you can't find right here on Earth, in one form or another (i.e., Amoi is no more dangerous than Earth). It's not like humanity is a stranger to having the elite few who own almost everything, or melanin-based class discrimination, or sexual slavery.

Anyway, great idea for a list!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Attack on Titan is worse than Wanna be the Strongest. that's amusing
AoT being the most overrated anime of the year for sure, but that is laughable that it got voted more than Strongest.

I'm more disappointed in people that think AoT WAS the best anime of the year, when it's far from it. So many of them only watched 3 anime total or so during the year...no right to say what's best or not.

Chuunibyou Ren for me on the poll. By far.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Haha, I had the same reaction. Not to worry though. Its just people who think it is over-rated to hell. There will always be that crowd. I can't blame them too much though, I went through the same thing with SAO...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Agreed, lol.

Spotlesseden wrote:
I alot people think AoT has one of the most horrible animation this year. Kill la kill is getting the same hate on the animation now.

Ugh.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Your tastes are all over the place for me so I can't take you too seriously when you find Shana III confusing and think 5 CM per second is "decent" because it had a realistic ending.

I am not really interested in criticizing other people's ratings because I think it is kind of pointless, but if you want to go there, fine by me.

I do not think the ending to 5 Centimeters per Second was realistic. On the contrary, it was unrealistic because spoiler[only a moron would refuse the love of someone because he is obsessed with a childhood love]. And I was not confused with Shakugan no Shana III; I was overwhelmed by the info dump.

Also, I find it suspicious that you are criticizing my ratings of two animes you consider masterpieces.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
How could you not have Roboworld from Redline on that list?
No Comment

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Lux represented. It's definitely the first place like that that comes to my mind. It's questionable whether it's just a city, but I always figured the entire world that Lux/the surface was on would be in a similar state of destitution. Texhnolyze always needs more love.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
notrogersmith wrote:
A nitpick here ...

A couple of those places, namely Lux and Hellywood, aren't planets at all. As said in the article itself, Lux is a city.

It's great to see Texhnolyze getting some love, but I thought Lux was on Earth in the future? I'm not trying to criticize the list, I'm just wondering if I missed something.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Interestingly, depictions of explicitly-stated "Future Earths" in anime have a danger/brutality level far in excess of some of the alien worlds on this list: Blue Gender's Earth makes Cowboy Bebop's Venus look like a paradise.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
@st_owly

I've been thinking that with sites like MAL, where users can log what they've seen, you could have a dynamically generated "poll" where the site just picked two series from someone's list and asked which they liked better. Then when they answered, it would select another pair, and so on until the user decided to call it quits. You could get some interesting data that way -- I wonder if you'd get loops where Series A was largely preferred over Series B among people who watched both, and B was preferred over C, but C was preferred over A?
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I was laughing so hard when I saw Aku no Hana and Attack on Titan were the top 4 worst anime of 2013. It seems like people voted for the shows that are the "most controversial" rather than "most crappiest". I agree that Attack on Titan and Aku no Hana were not the most critique-enduring shows out there, but I just feel they were only chosen to be the worst anime because people actually knew of their existence since they were so overhyped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6