• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gen Urobuchi Interviews

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Indeed. Gaim is turning out quite "Urobuchi-esc." Of course, Kamen Rider has had these elements in the past, but the way it's being executed is so Urobuchi, it's almost predictable. Yet the later scenes still get to me, even if I predict them. Ugh. Anime hyper

Hm, can i watch Gaim without watching anything else?
Been wanting to pick up on Kamen Rider sometime along with a huge list of stuff such as Garo.

Yeah go ahead. Kamen Rider series don't have to be watched in order.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Indeed. Gaim is turning out quite "Urobuchi-esc." Of course, Kamen Rider has had these elements in the past, but the way it's being executed is so Urobuchi, it's almost predictable. Yet the later scenes still get to me, even if I predict them. Ugh. Anime hyper

Hm, can i watch Gaim without watching anything else?
Been wanting to pick up on Kamen Rider sometime along with a huge list of stuff such as Garo.

Absolutely. All seasons are stand-alone, built from the ground up. It they ever reference previous seasons, it's usually not even canon, and they're never dependent on them one bit. The crossover Wizard x Gaim movie is non-canon filler, too, so don't even worry about watching it.
And if you end up liking Gaim, I recommend watching Ryuuki. It's my favorite Kamen Rider season (as far as I've watched) and it's now one of Urobuchi's favorite, too. Not to mention, Urobuchi only took the project because Ryuuki's director is the director of Gaim, returning to the franchise for the first time since Ryuuki. Ryuuki has all the sensibilities you might associate with Urobuchi, so that doesn't surprise me. I see Gaim getting Urobuchi-dark, but it will be hard to beat Ryuuki in "dark" twists without directly copying it. That one was filled with so much scary despair and death... =P
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
I'd be interested to know whether things happening to females' necks is a conscious theme in his works or some sort of subconscious fixation :p.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
Huh? What about females' necks? Confused
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:

They keep getting broken,right after a woman is strangled.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
O'kay, now that I started thinking about his works, I can see your point. It does seem he likes to kill female characters by doing something to their necks. Strange. And kinda scary. Shocked

Yeah, ask him about that.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote
To strangle two women in a single series may be regarded as a misfortune; to strangle three looks like carelessness. I still really like Fate/Zero though.

danilo07 wrote:
Ignatz wrote:

They keep getting broken,right after a woman is strangled.

Plus the beheadings and throat-slittings.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
To strangle two women in a single series may be regarded as a misfortune; to strangle three looks like carelessness.

Actually one strangulation is just misfortune, two is carelessness, but three is a fetish.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
That is kind of what I was suspecting to be honest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3