• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Penguindrum Voice Actor Illich Guardiola Arrested in Texas

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I don't even know what to say over this. But I'll say this, what was his mother thinking to allow him to marry a 16 year old girl??

Her mother! Wink

Oops, my bad. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Because I suspect that trying to figure out marriage law is not something I can do, I will just say this: Illich Guardiola is an imbecile.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Because I suspect that trying to figure out marriage law is not something I can do, I will just say this: Illich Guardiola is an imbecile.

Judging by what I've read so far, I'm under the impression that he *tried* to do everything right and legal by the book. He just didn't understand the student/teacher restrictions. So yeah... Kinda dumb on his part. Neutral

In any case, it seems that both the girl and her mother were on board with the marriage, so I don't really think "victim" is the right word to use here. Not until we find out more details about the situation.

And I must stress again: They were married in *Nevada*. Not Texas. Would Texas law even still apply to the marriage in that case?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
Usually being married in one state is sufficient to be considered married in all states, but outside the current gay marriage imbroglio I'm not sure what other conditions result in one state ignoring another's marriage licenses and I can't seem to find anything.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Married" and "victims" do not seem to go together.
Does the marriage ceremony end with the priest saying "The criminal may now kiss the victim"?
I don't think so.

As it was an out-of-state marriage, the officiant probably had no idea she was his student and that their relationship was unequal, criminal, and probably abusive.

And no, a marriage license doesn't automatically make your relationship okay. We have this whole thing called "marital rape" and absolutely abusive men and rapists have used getting married to their victims as a way of concealing their crimes.

If she were 25 and he was 50 and they were acquaintances I would not care about this age gap, nor would most people, but she's still in high school and his student and that's wrong.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I am not clear on what law he was arrested for breaking.
Both of the cited sources say it was "sexual assault of a child" which is rather ambiguous.
Since both of the sources are in Houston they might be assuming that all of their readers know what the age of consent is in Texas, but that seems like a poor assumption for a journalist to make.
It looks to me like the reporters did not know why he was arrested.

Click 2 Houston said "...accused of having sex with a teenager ..."
I am sure that there is no law anywhere in the US against having sex with a "teenager."

KHOU says "... married one of his teenage students was arrested Thursday, and authorities suspect there may be other victims."
"Married" and "victims" do not seem to go together.
Does the marriage ceremony end with the priest saying "The criminal may now kiss the victim"?
I don't think so.

It definitely seems that he was arrested for violating some law concerning sex and age of consent, but I really expect a news story to tell me more than that.

If what did get reported is true then he definitely was having sex with the girl before they were married. That by itself would not be a crime, though I personally would consider it to be wrong due to the girl's age and his position of authority.

She is his student and they are having sexual relations. That instantly is a crime in Texas (as long as it happened in that state, regardless of where/when/if they were married).

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Judging by what I've read so far, I'm under the impression that he *tried* to do everything right and legal by the book. He just didn't understand the student/teacher restrictions. So yeah... Kinda dumb on his part. Neutral

Well, having relations with her to begin with was illegal, so he failed that part. Then the question becomes "is he trying to do things 'legally' or trying to get around the law" when he chose to have the marriage performed in Nevada, as that marriage would have been illegal in Texas.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While something like this wouldn't necessarily make him unemployable as a voice actor (honestly, I suspect a lot of anime fans wouldn't care)

That's a big assumption and generalization, don't you think? I also find it funny that you said that in the same paragraph in which you stated the admin-customary "don't generalize america!!!" message.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, let's not start this "America is a backwards country" crap. ... The latter is quite possibly what Mr. Guardiola got nailed on

Nope, that is not how it works, if you want to deny the "backwards country" accusation you need to give us facts that deny it and "quite possibly" is not a fact. So far this indeed looks like a "backwards country" or "backwards state" or maybe just "backwards county".
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
TheTsunami wrote:
She is his student and they are having sexual relations. That instantly is a crime in Texas (as long as it happened in that state, regardless of where/when/if they were married).

So if I was a teacher and married a 16 year old student in Gretna Green, it would be a bad idea to honeymoon in Texas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
I'd say it's a bad idea in general to honeymoon in Texas. I'm glad I could finally get out of there.

I find it amusing that politicians legislate this sort of case between a teacher and student and yet there is rampant abuse of power when it comes to interns/staff.

Last edited by Megiddo on Sat May 10, 2014 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Key wrote:
Oh, let's not start this "America is a backwards country" crap. ... The latter is quite possibly what Mr. Guardiola got nailed on

Nope, that is not how it works, if you want to deny the "backwards country" accusation you need to give us facts that deny it and "quite possibly" is not a fact. So far this indeed looks like a "backwards country" or "backwards state" or maybe just "backwards county".

Is it backwards because they arrested a guy who broke the law? Or is the law itself broken for trying to prevent teachers and other adults in positions of authority from abusing their power to prey on students?

Just looking for some clarification here.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
TheTsunami wrote:

So if I was a teacher and married a 16 year old student in Gretna Green, it would be a bad idea to honeymoon in Texas?

If the two of you had sexual relations and the police somehow were tipped off on the matter, possibly. If you LIVE in Texas, like the subject of this story, then it is a REAL bad idea.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
@Zac: Oh boy, I'm afraid this thread may get out of control, Do you think we should lock this before this escalate into one big flame war? Because I'm already seeing what can lead up to a big flame war here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I don't even know what to say over this. But I'll say this, what was her mother thinking to allow him to marry a 16 year old girl??

There are two distinct possibilities:

a) Her mother must be some kind of monster.

b) Her mother is a sensible person that knows her daughter and knows and the groom and gave her blessings.

But if you live in puritan amurrrica (b) will never even cross you mind since it is an alien thought, you probably are atm mentally hurling rocks at said voice actor.

Zac wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Key wrote:

Is it backwards because they arrested a guy who broke the law? Or is the law itself broken for trying to prevent teachers and other adults in positions of authority from abusing their power to prey on students?

Just looking for some clarification here.

Glad you ask. The system is so obviously BROKEN it is not even funny. Is said law righteous and I should be in AWE about it? Then please explain to me in one paragraph why it is not the law of the land, how come some states have it and some don't? Could it be that this law could be easily abused? Could it be that the state of Texas does not think parental consent is worth a damn? So, any country, state or county with broken laws is backwards, or by any chance would you call that progressive?

Last edited by mangamuscle on Sat May 10, 2014 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I don't even know what to say over this. But I'll say this, what was her mother thinking to allow him to marry a 16 year old girl??

There are two distinct possibilities:

a) Her mother must be some kind of monster.

b) Her mother is a sensible person that knows her daughter and knows and the groom and gave her blessings.

But if you live in puritan amurrrica (b) will never even cross you mind since it is an alien thought, you probably are atm mentally hurling rocks at said voice actor.

It's less about puritan intentions, than it is protecting the majority, even though a minority get burned by blanket legislations. The law is there to protect the young, impressionable and vulnerable from predatory power abusers. It's one of those times where you wind up letting the 1 innocent and honest relationship get burned by the law because you succeed in protecting 999 victims, and get 999 predators off the street.

Besides, anyone with common sense would wait until it was above board and legal, or at least impossible to prosecute with any degree of success. Look at Woody Allen and Soon Yi. Creepy as anything, but it's legal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 22