• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Streams Sailor Moon New English Dub Clip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely love it. That's all I have to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
DENelson83 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
No, that's "Licensing issues".

How can they have licensing issues when they already have the Canadian licence? This makes no sense.

Viz has the power to end my anger and snottiness right here right now. All they have to do is properly push the original Sailor Moon anime into Canada and onto my screen, without me having to resort to The Pirate Bay or its ilk.

@ DENelson83 You could always use a proxy to watch. A friend of mine in Ireland does that to watch stuff on the US Netflix.
PCDOS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
I wonder if the blu-ray release will be widescreen (4:3 atleast.) But by the looks of this its not gonna happen. Technicaly it should be possible though, they did it with DBZ and that is from the same time...

Its possible to make a 4:3 show 16:9 by either A) cropping off part of the top and bottom of the frame, or B) stretching the image to fill a 16:9 space. They did both of those to DBZ, depending on which release you're looking at.

4:3 is the way this show was made, and the way it will look best, as you're not losing any of the image or distorting it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
I wonder if the blu-ray release will be widescreen (4:3 atleast.) But by the looks of this its not gonna happen. Technicaly it should be possible though, they did it with DBZ and that is from the same time...

They did it with DBZ, and afterwards advertised Ranma 1/2 as "In its original ratio!"
There's something somebody's not doing again.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely not bad that's for sure. It'll take me awhile to get used to the new voices which is understandable, but I could watch this for sure. Not sure if Usagi's voice will fit Crystal though, but I'm getting too ahead of myself lol.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
^ It could fill up your screen if you adjust the aspect ratio.

I love how this sounds and can't wait to hear the other characters!
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Well i love it if it fills out my widescreen tv Razz.

Does your Blu-Ray remote control not have a zoom function?
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
The voices sound great to my ears. I wish they'd shown a clip with Shingo in it. His voice is one of the very few on the list that I'm genuinely worried about (adult men should never voice boys younger than 14).

Honestly, I'm more concerned about Viz's remastering of the footage than I am about the quality of the English dub. If they mess it up it will adversely affect our viewing experience no matter what version we watch. Based on the clip posted here, it seems they've gone the unfortunate route of over-saturating the colors and removing a little more grain than I would have liked. At least it's still no where near as horrendous as the "improvements" Funimation made to Dragon Ball Z in their recent hack-job Season blu rays.

TheMorry wrote:
They (Funimation) made it that way by cropping the footage to widescreen, basically butchering the original aspect ratio's presentation. Both shows were made in 4:3 and should be released in 4:3.

Last edited by ParkerALx on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

Of course it's possible, you just crop off the top and bottom of the image, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

TheMorry wrote:
Well i love it if it fills out my widescreen tv.

So you hate watching 'Scope movies too, right? An almost equal area of 16:9 screen realestate is used on blackness when you watch movies with that aspect.

ParkerALx wrote:
Honestly, I'm more concerned about Viz's remastering of the footage than I am about the quality of the English dub. If they mess it up it will adversely affect our viewing experience no matter what version we watch. Based on the clip posted here, it seems they've gone the unfortunate route of over-saturating the colors and removing a little more grain than I would have liked. At least it's still no where near as horrendous as the "improvements" Funimation made to Dragon Ball Z in their recent hack-job Season blu rays.

This isn't a remaster or new transfer, it's just the old masters upscaled and seriously overfiltered to make it look like it's cleaner.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I actually like it tbh Cool

I might go back to watch some of the older dub clips to see how it compares.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
Well i love it if it fills out my widescreen tv Razz.

Does your Blu-Ray remote control not have a zoom function?
Sadly a PS3 doesnt have a zoom function. And since im a European i cant import blu-rays anyways. I've to wait till a UK company pics up the anime and either release it in DVD or blu-ray here. I only have a region free DVD player.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Well its not to bad at all but I kind of like the old dubs
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Had they actually put some serious effort into finding voice overs who could do a good job, I might have been inclined to have bought the new version.
Why is that I so often see people attribute their personal bias against an English Dub to a lack of effort on the part of the people making it? Seriously, I see this in the comments section of literally every English Dub trailer.

I mean, unless we're talking about Sentai Filmworks there really aren't many high profile shows getting lazy dubs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Imagine that. An immature fourteen-year-old.

Eva, DBZ/DB Kai, FMA/FMA:B, One Piece (I think), and Sailor Moon. It'd be interesting to see what dub (besides Bebop) that this 14-year-old hasn't griped about.
traveling

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good to me. Much better than the grating voices in the original dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7