• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Florida Teen Says Soul Eater Manga, Slenderman Inspired Her to Set Home on Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Quote:
"There's a part in this book where two characters get in a fight with each other. All of a sudden that clicks something in her mind, and she decided she was going to kill her family."
Holy crap! I want to read what he read. WOW. Something in Maka's mind, suddenly clicks... "I'm going to kill my family". Oh man, that sounds just like Soul Eater and that alone has definitely contributed to it's success as a manga. Heh, kidding.

Well, there is Crona and Medusa's relationship, but not sure how much of that is in the manga.

It's pretty heavy in the manga. In fact, spoiler[Crona kills Medusa], or, at least, that's what appears to have happened (it's not fully released in the US yet). I'd say that's what she's claiming as her influence.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
That sound plausible.
shukujo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
while ABC is at fault for pimping this sensationalistic BS kind of news reporting, the real idiots here are the cops at the press conference. But I am sure whoever decided to include that bit of info about the case will be losing their job just as soon as the publishing company for Soul Eater slaps that police department with a multi-million dollar defamation lawsuit. In fact, if anyone at ANN has any contacts with said publishing company, it would be a good idea for them to personally make sure someone there see this.

The level of violence in Soul Eater is not even the question - NO video game, book, movie, anime, Twinkie, OR manga is to blame here, or ever. The diminished capacity defense is reserved for crimes of passion and non-self administered altered states of mind due to external stimuli, usually chemical, but certainly not graphic novel based. This is elementary law - there was a famous case in the '70s where the term "a Twinkie Defense" was coined. Simply put, a man blamed a Twinkie he ate as the cause for him going on a killing spree. Yes, seriously.

Let's stick to the evidence: she texted her mother twice afterwards, showing regret, remorse, and concern. She also stated to police that she would do it again. From all this we can eliminate sociopathy, because she does know right from wrong, and begin to see that she probably has heretofore undiagnosed schizophrenia, and has psychopathic tendencies. What that means is ANY conflict-filled imagery could have set her off, even a shoujo manga where someone gets their heart broken.

Conclusion: she's a danger to herself and to society, and will commit further acts of a dangerous nature if allowed to go unsupervised. They need to keep her where they can help her, and monitor her mental state. AND NO MORE GRAPHIC NOVELS, she uses the imagery to fuel her insanity. Not even Fruits Basket or Snow Drop.
exile0025

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
it's funny how the only ones doing these kings of things are kids that are 14 and younger,i was watching anime at that age and i knew for a fact that 90% of what i saw was impossible
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Something wrong was going on in that house that has nothing to do with Soul Eater. Evaluating her physical and mental state in a controlled environment will find the real source.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
And in other news, Eden of the East inspires further acts of domestic terrorism. Laughing

Or was that Tenchi Muyo? Or Afro Samurai? I forget.

Usagi-kun wrote:
Something wrong was going on in that house that has nothing to do with Soul Eater. Evaluating her physical and mental state in a controlled environment will find the real source.

Being sixth months away from my doctorate in abnormal psychology, I find stuff like this fascinating. For Science!!! This case is nothing a little LSD and hypnotic-suggestive therapy can't shine a light on. You'd be surprised how many people are just nasty inside, and will plead insanity (or any other scapegoat) just to get off easy.
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I read this story yesterday and thought they must be talking about some novel with Soul Eater in the title(there's a few), not the manga. The manga is rather tame goofy Halloween themed action. How anyone could be influenced to arson and possible want to kill after reading that of all thing is very strange. I believe some kids will do a crime and blame something like a movie, video game or book because they think the blame will be shifted off them.

Last edited by levonr on Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
I read this story yesterday and thought they must bee talking about some novel with Soul Eater in the title(there's a few), not the manga. The manga is rather tame goofy Halloween themed action. How anyone could be influenced to arson and possible want to kill after reading that of all thing is very strange. I believe some kids will do a crime and blame something like a movie, video game or book because they think the blame will be shifted off them.

I've had my first sexual experience while I was watching Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. So, stranger things have happened.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
I read this story yesterday and thought they must be talking about some novel with Soul Eater in the title(there's a few), not the manga. The manga is rather tame goofy Halloween themed action. How anyone could be influenced to arson and possible want to kill after reading that of all thing is very strange.

You must not've read very far. Considering that in a recent (to the US) volume, spoiler[Crona got tired of Medusa abusing them, and murdered her], which sounds pretty close to what the girl said.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how the media would have spinned this if she read ero-guro or some meaty seinen and not yound adult friendly fair. A version of Slenderman is rated T and Soul Eater was very teen friendly to the end. Even new 52 Superman is more messed up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I wonder how the media would have spinned this if she read ero-guro or some meaty seinen and not yound adult friendly fair. A version of Slenderman is rated T and Soul Eater was very teen friendly to the end. Even new 52 Superman is more messed up.

Even still, Soul Eater is rated for 16+.

Some kids younger then that might be able to handle it (I know junior high girls reading the likes of Angel Sanctuary and Red River, which are both 16+ but the girls seem perfectly sane), but this girl clearly had some mental things going on - which is exactly what I consider most age ratings to be.

Every age rating, if you're not mentally insane, could have four years knocked off of it just fine. But things like this are the reason they're so high.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Levon_r wrote:
I read this story yesterday and thought they must be talking about some novel with Soul Eater in the title(there's a few), not the manga. The manga is rather tame goofy Halloween themed action. How anyone could be influenced to arson and possible want to kill after reading that of all thing is very strange.

You must not've read very far. Considering that in a recent (to the US) volume, spoiler[Crona got tired of Medusa abusing them, and murdered her], which sounds pretty close to what the girl said.

No, but it doesn't sound the same as he put it unless he just really toned the part down.
"There's a part in this book where two characters get in a fight with each other. All of a sudden that clicks something in her mind, and she decided she was going to kill her family."
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Can someone just sink florida into the ocean all ready
deaththekid666

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Can someone just sink florida into the ocean all ready

Lol I know right? Whenever I hear something on the news its almost always Florida. I mean I hear stories about San Jose, Oakland, Hayward, San Fransisco from time to time but not nearly as much as Florida...
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
ishmael wrote:
This story would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic. Confused

I dunno I find it pretty funny especially after a news anchor had said "Slenderman is tied to Soul Eater"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6