• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XV's TGS Trailer Debuts as Tetsuya Nomura Steps Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blcskate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The car doesn't bother me. The story looks promising and the characters I could get into. However the combat system looks slow and really annoying. Although I am a fan of turn-based I can deal with action combat if its good (tales of xillia). However square has a track record of sucking at all things action except for KH games. The music score will sell the game to me for sure.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
This game has zilch to do with XIII. And why are people talking about the driving like as if it's going to be the main point of the game? Did I just dream the parts in VII and VIII where you drove cars?

Maybe it's because of the better graphics, but the car feels way too out of place for me. The car is more of a minor annoyance for me anyway.

And my XIII comment was more about me being unable to trust Square-Enix to produce a good game at all these days. I used to be a huge fan of theirs, but I haven't enjoyed one of their games for a long time. Heck, they haven't produced a good Final Fantasy since Final Fantasy X in my opinion.

[

I'm gonna throw 14 out there as not only a really good Final Fantasy but a great MMO RPG. I know it's not a traditional Final Fantasy but it's great.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
strawberry-kun wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
This game has zilch to do with XIII. And why are people talking about the driving like as if it's going to be the main point of the game? Did I just dream the parts in VII and VIII where you drove cars?

Maybe it's because of the better graphics, but the car feels way too out of place for me. The car is more of a minor annoyance for me anyway.

And my XIII comment was more about me being unable to trust Square-Enix to produce a good game at all these days. I used to be a huge fan of theirs, but I haven't enjoyed one of their games for a long time. Heck, they haven't produced a good Final Fantasy since Final Fantasy X in my opinion.

[

I'm gonna throw 14 out there as not only a really good Final Fantasy but a great MMO RPG. I know it's not a traditional Final Fantasy but it's great.

Well, the second incarnation of FFIV was great anyways. I have to concur with strawberry though. At least from a console non-mmo perspective. While not great FFXI was enjoyable but that was like FFXIV and an MMO more geared for the PC not console. As far as console games go the last truly great one was FFX. The sequel was pure fanbait drivel. Sure it looked nice but the plot was mediocre and the cast...yea they ruined Yuna and turned the main cast into an ad for a BDSM club almost. FFXII was decent. Not great, but not horrible. Yet hardly anyone ever even mentions XII at all in discussion. It's like everyone just goes from X/X-2 or XI right to XIII.

As for XIII...again very pretty visuals but it was linear as all hell. None of the great world exploring. Sure you got some of that in XIII-2 but once again it's another sequel where they pump up the cute/skimpy outfits and turn down the plot. Haven't played XIII-3 but I am even more skeptical there. I mean 2 direct sequels are bad enough, but a trilogy......and all based around honestly a weaker in terms of depth main character. Sure I like Lightning but she is alot weaker in terms of depth compared to many main female characters in the FF franchise. It's why I think other RPG console series, like the Tales series for example, are catching up on FF in terms of popularity.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Please, no other jrpg series is catching up to FF in popularity. Certainly not Tales.

Hell, Tales "surge" in popularity has nothing to do with it's quality(which is dubious at best). It simply stands as a remaining console jrpg in the days of the genres decline.

It was never popular in the US and the only one that made a dent was the one released on a system with no other jrpgs. No one cared about them during the PS1 and PS2 days simply because the options were abundant.

On the PS3 not so much. It has nothing do with quality, because the Tales games in the HD generation have been insanely up and down.

Even in Japan. It's only moderately popular and shows no signs of ever catching FF or DQ's sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Final Fujoshi Fantasy.

Graphics do look really good, although the framerate is somewhat irregular it's only a demo so we'll see.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Trailer was great I thought.

Animeking1108 wrote:
Well, I have a theory that Stella, the blond chick, will join the party.

On a related note, if this means we're going to get KHIII faster and FFXV already being so late in development, I'm not complaining. Rather have the guy behind "Type-0" directing than Toriyama.

Agreed, I think she will too.

Yeah, this game needs to come out before Toriyama happens somehow...
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Noctis and gang kind of remind me of a boy band on a road trip lol. I hope you can drive other cars in this game too, sort of looks like GTA meets final fantasy
I would play the hell out of a FF version of GTA. The trailer looks good, even though the car does seem a bit out of place. I like what I'm seeing for the battle system, although some of the attacks do seem a bit slow. Too bad it'll be a while before I decide to finally get a PS4. I don't really care about the change in directors, although I will say that I loved Crisis Core.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

Animeking1108 wrote:
Well, I have a theory that Stella, the blond chick, will join the party.

Agreed, I think she will too.

I guess this is the part that has me a little worried:

Quote:
Final Fantasy XV‘s main group of playable characters are all male. Asked if there would be any playable female characters, Nomura said, “I can’t say anything specific now but it would be… quite difficult, to have a girl playable.”

Granted her being playable could end up being a major spoiler in the story that he's keeping a secret.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3