• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Dubs Psycho-Pass 2, Laughing Under the Clouds Anime as They Air in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
wow.... well that was anti-climactic for me. I was hoping for something on Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong, Eva 3.33, or a new pick-up. As a sub-only guy, this means nothing to me.

I'm happy for all you dub guys out there though. Hopefully that quality won't drop.

Me too. But that's why I try not to get too excited about "exciting" news and announcements. Most of the time it seems like it's more exciting for the company itself than the fans. I just thought that since it's been so long that maybe there was a shred of hope that it would be 3.33. All well, I'm sure it will show up within the next year at the very least. Wink I thought this would mean faster releases of anime but then they said that they're just going to redub them anyway after they've finished airing. So I think we'll still have to wait roughly the same amount of time for Blu-rays and DVDs.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm really interested in seeing how this goes for them, as it has the potential to both be a very successful endeavor and an absolute disaster.

I see one major upside to this venture that hasn't been mentioned: Fan-feedback on the voice-acting before the final version. Regardless of how many forum posts try to devalue chibi-ADVs', FUNimation's, VIZ's, etc. . . dub work, most of it is actually pretty solid. That being said, there are times when some actor/actress choices or translation choices are not the best (or any good at all); This project could open the door for changing things up for the final version based on feedback, assuming it has some basis, given while it was airing.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
How are they able to get an episode dubbed in A WEEK?

Pretty easy actually, the Japanese studio simply gives them the episodes that they finished and Funi works from there. I'm pretty sure these days, anime episodes are always fully completed long before they are set to air. For example, Funi's cast and team for Space Dandy were already done with everything 2 or so weeks prior to the finale's release in both countries. They probably already have a handful of episodes done and dubbed before they made this announcement.

I'm looking forward to this, as well. I really enjoyed what I've seen of Psycho Pass, now I have a little more motivation to finish Part 2.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
@DigitalScratch
Actually, anime producers are known for cutting it very, very close to airing. There are horror scenarios buried in some Answerman articles.

However, voice acting should be done around the same time. So Funi could, at the very least, sync those up well enough and make fixes for a home release.

I'm very surprised about Laughing Under the Clouds. I assumed it wasn't doing that well. No one talks about it. Could be a quiet hit, I suppose, or maybe Funi is testing how much a dub jumps viewership. (In either case, it's likely to be doing well enough to warrant an eventual home release anyway.)
hoju22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
http://otakuusamagazine.com/Anime/News1/Patrick-Seitz-The-Space-Dandy-Interview-5999.aspx

This interview is about the Space Dandy dub turnaround is relevant. It sounds like funi would get episodes randomly as they were finished in Japan. It's kinda vague how many week(s) in advance they would get it.

Quote:
Jason Moses: First and foremost, let’s talk about your work on the Space Dandy dub. From my understanding — and maybe this is mistaken — this was a case where you had access to everything on that show before the episodes even aired in Japan, right?

Patrick Seitz: Yeah, you’d get a script, and you’d have about 36 hours to get it completely adapted and turned around. As far as time in the recording booth goes, I think they had about 3 or 4 days to get it dubbed and over to the mixers. It was a very, very abbreviated process, but fun in that kind of masochistic way of… “Oh my God, this is a simulcast, it’s going to be on TV, I have no time to write this thing, here we go.”

Quote:
JM: How far in advance were you working on the scripts prior to their air date?

PS: My last one was July 4 weekend, but I don’t remember how many there were after that, because we weren’t necessarily getting them from Japan in order. Space Dandy is one of those shows where you can do that, since every episode is so self-contained. You can do 17, and then do 20, and then do 15. Whatever order you do them in is fine, it was just a question of when we got the stuff from Japan. As soon as we did we’d rock it out. But yeah, it’s been about 3 months since I’ve written one.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

If I were Funimation I would premier dub episodes 10-14 days after they aired in Japan. This would allow the dub staff to have all the necessary material ahead of time and even have time for edits. Although, like others have mentioned, the Space Dandy experience would suggest that dubs could be ready the same day episodes premiere in Japan.

Jayhosh wrote:
I thought this would mean faster releases of anime but then they said that they're just going to redub them anyway after they've finished airing. So I think we'll still have to wait roughly the same amount of time for Blu-rays and DVDs.

And why would you think that simuldubs could mean faster home video releases? Japanese licensors can approve simuldubs, but that does not mean they will become more laxed about home video rights.

If they are well implemented, simuldubs could be a great tool for Funimation (and potentially other R1 publishers) to promote and create a bigger buzz for their shows.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
A new era of anime has begun. This is beyond incredible. Funimation is just killing it.

I'm really hoping they start doing this with Fairy Tail and that they eventually catch up with it. That would be incredibly awesome.

This makes me glad that I've been subscribing to the EVS for the past few months.
IanRootBeerDubber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
The Funimation Broadcast Dubs strategy sounds rather great.

Naturally, I won't be surprised if High School DxD season 3 gets subjected to this.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
Some of my friends have bizarre viewing preferences that I can never understand:

- Stretching or cropping 4:3 anime so it fills a 16:9 screen.
- Refusing to watch black and white shows.
- Shunning any and all anime that has an unconventional art style.

Similarly, watching anime dubbed is another viewing preference that I will never be able to understand. I guess this is phenomenal news for those who like dubs, but it really doesn't do anything for me.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
I guess Space Dandy did so well that other Funimation shows will get this treatment. NICE
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Space Dandy had an excellent English-language version, but I'm very skeptical that they can keep doing this simulcast dubbing thing and maintain any real quality.

I'm with penguintruth here. While it's great that they're doing this, I can't help but worry about the quality. I guess I'll check out an episode and find out myself.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
I've been advocating simuldubs for years. I expect that one day most of the shows in a season will get English dubs either simultaneously or within a week of the Japanese broadcast.

It isn't a pipe dream. After all, no-one ten years ago would have expected that most shows would be simulcasted on the internet completely legally within hours of the Japanese broadcast.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Uh, what? You do realise that the Japanese have no trouble dubbing an episode inside a week, right? So why - with modern e-mail, skype and so on - should it be any different for dubs in English?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Pretty easy actually, the Japanese studio simply gives them the episodes that they finished and Funi works from there. I'm pretty sure these days, anime episodes are always fully completed long before they are set to air. For example, Funi's cast and team for Space Dandy were already done with everything 2 or so weeks prior to the finale's release in both countries. They probably already have a handful of episodes done and dubbed before they made this announcement.

I'm looking forward to this, as well. I really enjoyed what I've seen of Psycho Pass, now I have a little more motivation to finish Part 2.

The last episode of Kill la Kill wasn't finished until the day of broadcast. It was different with Space Dandy as Bones approached Funimation with the idea so they could plan ahead. The only way around this would be for them to be given the script and then on the day add it to the finished video file and hope that it syncs up.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I've been advocating simuldubs for years. I expect that one day most of the shows in a season will get English dubs either simultaneously or within a week of the Japanese broadcast.

It isn't a pipe dream. After all, no-one ten years ago would have expected that most shows would be simulcasted on the internet completely legally within hours of the Japanese broadcast.

They will only hand pick shows that are guaranteed to do well, as they said the advantage of simulcast is that you can determine if a show is doing well and then release it. Funimation simulcasted The Tatami Galaxy, but the show was not popular so they decided against releasing it, if they had spent all the money dubbing it they would have to release it to turn a profit, but that would of meant very low sales.

Simualcasting still is the best option, it gives time to put a dub together, they are releasing profitable shows, or at least shows that are likely to be profitable, and not just guessing at random. There is also a chance that people won't buy the home release since they have already seen the dub.

It is not causing any problems since even most people who prefer the dub are willing to watch it subbed first if they are interested enough and for those who aren't it just means waiting, and unlike yester years this is between half a year to two, instead of 3 plus years.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
Very excited for this. Just start Psycho Pass a few weeks ago and it has already become one of my favorites. Now I dont have to wait nearly as long for season 2 dub! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4