• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII 'Returns' on PS4 Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
Well for me I never had a chance to completely annihilate the game by getting every weapon mastering all or most materia and just going through the whole story in general until about 2011 from June to august and never regretted the time put in I still remember playing for 100 hours with the game or 99:59 with my perfect file but to see the troll at the conference was something to behold entirely I heard the oohs and ahhs then after that just the PC port announcement the whole place to me seemed dead so I really don't know why they won't do it but if they intend on trolling until the end of days I know that despite that I still was able to beat it and create fond memories for myself and my brother watching me play
mehh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
This is actually incredibly depressing, they said earlier that they weren't comfortable remaking FF VII until they created a game that surpassed it. Now we're getting a PS4 port of the PC port, still in shitty 1997 graphics - SE have truly given up, and not even at a high standard.

[Do not evade forum word filters ~Zalis]
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Well that pushed back a full remake for at least another decade....
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I played the PS3 port a few years ago, and remembered, from fifteen lost years back, just WHY we will never, ever, ever see a "FF VII upgrade" without their making it completely from scratch.
Hard as the mentality sinks in over the later games, I'd forgotten that Cloud and Tifa were the Minecraft People, the archeological missing link between SNES sprites and Tetsuya Nomura creations...

And this being the second "PS4 up-port" article in as many days, I'll throw out the PS3 bi-curious question, to those who did spend the money:
I realize the difference between a PS3 game and a PS2, and even between a PS3 and Vita, but what exactly is the major standout difference between a game ported for the PS3 and the PS4?
(Ie., for those of us lone players who don't give a patoot about online shooter guilds, and just buy one as a 3D Blu player with occasional Kingdom Hearts and Lego?)
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I guess I can understand a lot of the anger if SE is actively teasing fans about a remake. But I personally see a lot more charm in FF7's old sprite/polygon mix than the sleek Hollywood look that the series has grown into. And as I kind of hate Advent Children (more as a fan than anything it does on its own merits, mind you), I'd have no interest in a remake.

I wouldn't mind a new translation, though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
ZetaZaku wrote:
Besides, didn't Square Enix themselves say that remaking FF7 is impossible and too expensive? If the developers said no, why still demand a remake and be butthurt every time they don't announce it?

Because later they said it wasn't impossible but they weren't sure if it was worth it. Which gave way to "if we sell enough of this port we'll consider a remake", which turned into "if this spinoff becomes popular enough we'll consider a remake", which then became "if enough people download this iOS game we'll consider a remake". This is why people call them trolls, they know the existing fan base is big enough or else the game wouldn't be at the top of every Japanese "most popular Sony game poll" and "game most in need of a remake poll" there is. They also know the game has reached this sort of legendary status among gamers and a new generation of gamers would easily buy into the fan hype and free exposure the game has enjoyed for nearly 20 years.

I honestly think the hype is the problem. They aren't going to do a remake when fans are still willing to buy slightly upgraded ports, they're going to do a remake when the ports stop selling and they have to get people interested again.

Emerje

I wish I could give you a 1+ for your comment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

now I've never played final fantasy VII but I've watched advent children and i loved it. then i decided to play the original game. saw the gameplay graphics and was like nope.
Your loss. Though I guess it's a curse of the HD-era that you can apparently only have amazing graphics if the gameplay is made completely linear like FFXIII.

Quote:
my 2 cents is if you got a friend with the game, ask em to borrow it and play to your hearts content. or in this specific situation find an emulator and a rom or crack the pc version and play that. I usually don't condone piracy but where exactly will your money be going if you buy this game? to the company that supports it? Yes, but will they in turn use this money to say produce a better version of the game, a new FF or a new series? Probably not its just beating a dead horse but this is a zombie horse so you get some reaction.
And how does piracy help the cause of a remake any more than buying it would?
bin1127

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Is is not possible to just throw a single million on to building a few HD assets for the main characters so that the port has something updated. Or is it that the game engine is so archaic that any use of hd enchanced objects will destroy the memory buffers and midgard shatters into a flurry of sprites?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Your loss. Though I guess it's a curse of the HD-era that you can apparently only have amazing graphics if the gameplay is made completely linear like FFXIII.

Well not really.

Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto, Dragon Age Inquisition, The Witcher 3 and so on all have great graphics despite being more open world.

Even FF15 if the hype is real. XIII is a product of huge problems on Square's end only.

Quote:
Is is not possible to just throw a single million on to building a few HD assets for the main characters so that the port has something updated. Or is it that the game engine is so archaic that any use of hd enchanced objects will destroy the memory buffers and midgard shatters into a flurry of sprites?
Asset creation is the hardest part of HD development. You just want them to paste over some assets? That sounds terrible. Also it's doubtful they have any of the original code left.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3