• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frozen Sells All-Time Record of 2.269 Million BD/DVD Sets to Top Spirited Away, Madoka Magica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
It's Oscar win annoyed me because many of the judges actually admitted to not watching any of the nominees because they find animation childish, and just gave their vote to the Disney film. (this would have angered me even if I -did- like the film. I'd want it's Best Animation win to be fair.)

Only one judge said he thought animated films are childless, and he or she abstained from the vote.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
It's Oscar win annoyed me because many of the judges actually admitted to not watching any of the nominees because they find animation childish, and just gave their vote to the Disney film. (this would have angered me even if I -did- like the film. I'd want it's Best Animation win to be fair.)

I know you're referring to that sample size of seven, OUT OF HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS. "One dude is an asshole, guess that means all of them are." Oscars aren't determined by a small panel of judges like that. Why this thing keeps making rounds on the internet like it means anything is beyond me, it's completely pointless. Those could be comments from hairdressers or riggers or whatever, not involved and educated film connoisseurs. I'm sure you could find similar comments for Interstellar: "Space movies are dumb and we never went to the moon."
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

There was an article in Variety magazine I read where the author, who voted for the Oscars that year, simply put his phone on a table and used it as a spinner to decide which of the Best Animated Film nominees would win, having never seen any of them, though not before removing ParaNorman for no stated reason.

The people who vote don't have to cast a ballot in every category, and some will only vote in categories they've seen enough of the nominees in to make an informed decision. Not everybody though.

That being said, people in animation don't take the Oscars quite as seriously as the Annies or Golden Globes, and in certain circumstances, the Razzies. They've long known that the Academy won't take their output seriously, after all.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Very good movie. It actually ended up being up there with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Beauty and the Beast (at least in my opinion) as an all-out Disney classic.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
And here comes all the Frozen doujin that a fraction of those 2 mill plus will create....
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I seen this movie, I still don't get what was so spectacular about it to receive all this money, but my tastes are a bit more niche, else I wouldn't be here, or watch anime, but still to me Frozen was a just another bucket full of the usual Disney Hans Christian Andersen/ Grim Brothers faiytail-ish adaptation full of the usual Disney ticked box catchy tunes, tropes, and cleché, on the rocks this time. The ending looked as rushed as the actual visuals and no surprises they all lived happily what else. It just left me cold. Stand by for the coming 2 or 3 sequels plus the spinoff TV series of that annoying snowman thing. P.T. Barnum was right.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I have a lot to nitpick with the film, but it's still something I would be willing to watch a few times and I still find its opening scenes and songs very emotionally-engaging. I bought the Japanese soundtrack a few months ago and I listened to it again yesterday. The songs are catchy, no matter the language, so that helps. But at least, in terms of Disney films of its likeness, it does change up the formula enough to make a big difference. It still could be written more carefully, but it's good for what it is.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Gotta admit. I'm seeing way more asshurt weaboos in here than I was expecting.

No one gives a f*ck what you think. Let it go.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
That just goes to show that you should never underestimate Japan's desire for cliche garbage.

My evaluation of Japan's taste went really down thanks to this. Spirited Away is an artistic masterpiece, for it to lose it's record sales to random garbage like that. Well in the US movies like Avatar broke records that were established in the past by great stuff like Godfather and Star Wars. This only shows the general decline of the artistic merits of the global film industry as a whole.

I personally don't understand why someone over the age of 6 would enjoy these films (last time I enjoyed a Disney film I was 6, after that point they were just too retarded for me, I actually enjoy other American animated films though like Pixar's) but well everybody has their own taste.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
EvilTaxi wrote:
The Oscars are of Hollywood, by Hollywood, and for Hollywood. That a Disney film won by default should not come as a surprise. Every last member of AMPAS, which is comprised entirely of the film industry, can vote in almost every category. They protect their own. Just accept it and move on. It's not like American films regularly win the Japan Academy Prizes.

However, there is a huge difference: in the US sometimes they nominate foreign language films only to not make them win, which implicitly tells the world: "movies made outside of the US of A are garbage". In Japan's academy awards they don't do that sort of insult to the rest of the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

It's Oscar win annoyed me because many of the judges actually admitted to not watching any of the nominees because they find animation childish, and just gave their vote to the Disney film.

No, less than 7 polled people admitted not seeing all the animation entries - and they ended up not voting for anything (which is what they should do).

championferret wrote:

I mentioned Japan before because Japan is the one making thousand dollar platinum calendars and limited edition Playstations and even a nendoroid figure, but the reason for its popularity, especially in comparison to other princess movies, is still lost on me. I guess it's just always going to be a mystery for me.

It's cute girls and the music songs. (surprise, surprise Japan)
Here's an interesting comment from the article:

• I am Japanese and I'm very interested in this topic because these products are all famous in Japan recentry. Especally "Frozen" and "Yo-Kai Watch". "Yo-Kai Watch" is the animation which famous especially durling children. It has cute song and we can dance easly. When I heard this song at first time, it stayed my mind whole day!!! I couldn't forget!!! I had sung all day at that time. And "Frozen" is famous all of ages. In Japan, the song "Let it go" which is sung in this movie is coverd by many great singers in Japanese!! This is very rera in our country. I think the song has very simple melody and we can remember easly. That's why "Frozen" is hit all over the world I think.

Incidentally, here's the very first thing I ever said about Frozen in this forum:

• Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:50 pm

Contrary to many of my friends, I actually liked Tangled a bit more than Frozen, albeit both good

(Frozen was released Nov 27, 2013)

Kadmos1 wrote:

I wonder what it is about Frozen that appeals especially to Japan. I liked the movie but I think it's over hyped.

It is a bit overhyped, but Japan is kinda prone to such behavior, like that KanColle TV topping the Amazon charts but no one has ever seen yet (if that's not a definition of the behavior, nothing is).

Minimimiau wrote:

Japanese people do really like disney movies.

They do, but not even half as much as this one, which goes beyond Disney and into Ghibli levels.

Here's Japan's Highest-Grossing Films of All-Time (by the end of June 2014):

• 01 ¥30.40 billion - Spirited Away (2001)
    02 ¥26.20 billion - Titanic (1997)
    03 ¥24.25 billion - Frozen (2014) [108 days in release]
    04 ¥20.30 billion - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
    05 ¥19.60 billion - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
    06 ¥19.30 billion - Princess Mononoke (1997)
    07 ¥17.35 billion - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (2003)
    08 ¥17.30 billion - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
    09 ¥15.60 billion - Avatar (2009)
    10 ¥15.50 billion - Ponyo (2008)
    11 ¥13.70 billion - The Last Samurai (2003)
    12 ¥13.50 billion - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
    12 ¥13.50 billion - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
    14 ¥13.40 billion - Armageddon (1998)
    15 ¥12.85 billion - Jurassic Park (1993)
    16 ¥12.70 billion - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
    17 ¥12.02 billion - The Wind Rises (2013)
    18 ¥11.80 billion - Alice in Wonderland (2010)
    19 ¥11.00 billion - Antarctica (1983)
    19 ¥11.00 billion - The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
    19 ¥11.00 billion - Finding Nemo (2003)
    19 ¥11.00 billion - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
    23 ¥10.90 billion - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
    24 ¥10.80 billion - Toy Story 3 (2010)
    25 ¥10.65 billion - Independence Day (1996)
    26 ¥10.32 billion - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2004)
    27 ¥10.10 billion - Bayside Shakedown (1998)
    28 ¥10.02 billion - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
    29 ¥9.70 billion - Mission: Impossible II (2000)
    29 ¥9.70 billion - A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)

There's only 2 other Disney animated films on the Top 30 of Japan, with the next one (Finding Nemo) not even half of what Frozen has gotten. It flat-out resonated with the Japanese like a Studio Ghibli animated film would.

Just be happy for the Japanese people.

Jose Cruz wrote:
Akemi Tachibana wrote:

That just goes to show that you should never underestimate Japan's desire for cliche garbage.

My evaluation of Japan's taste went really down thanks to this.

Just remember that when your favorite anime gets the annual sales awards.

Jose Cruz wrote:

I personally don't understand why someone over the age of 6 would enjoy these films (last time I enjoyed a Disney film I was 6, after that point they were just too retarded for me, I actually enjoy other American animated films though like Pixar's) but well everybody has their own taste.

Exactly. Some people don't understand why middle-aged adults would watch TV series after TV series about teenagers all day. Smile

Jose Cruz wrote:
EvilTaxi wrote:

The Oscars are of Hollywood, by Hollywood, and for Hollywood. That a Disney film won by default should not come as a surprise. Every last member of AMPAS, which is comprised entirely of the film industry, can vote in almost every category. They protect their own. Just accept it and move on. It's not like American films regularly win the Japan Academy Prizes.

However, there is a huge difference: in the US sometimes they nominate foreign language films only to not make them win, which implicitly tells the world: "movies made outside of the US of A are garbage". In Japan's academy awards they don't do that sort of insult to the rest of the world.

Only 9 foreign films have ever been nominated for Oscars Best Picture, and The Artist, a 2011 French film, won Best Picture just a couple years ago. Japan awards don't even acknowledge foreign films.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
TheAnagelic1 wrote:
And here comes all the Frozen doujin that a fraction of those 2 mill plus will create....

Where? I haven't seen any indication that Frozen doujins are being made, at least not anything 18+.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Stand by for the coming 2 or 3 sequels plus the spinoff TV series of that annoying snowman thing. P.T. Barnum was right.

You don't know how bad comic relief mascot characters can be if you think Olaf is annoying. And for someone to call Frozen random garbage, you haven't see how awful most American animated features have been for the last few year.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Hey now, I really like the stuff Henry Selick's been putting out as of late.

(As far as comic relief characters, BEN in Treasure Planet is definitely the nadir.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Frozen may very well go on to top Spirited Away as the all-time home video champ in Japan, but sales numbers don't have any bearing as to which film I far prefer...

...which is Frozen. Sorry, I've always found Spirited Away to be disjointed and scattershot. It's not even amongst my top 5 Hayao Miyazaki films. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:

No one gives a f*ck what you think. Let it go.
That's right, we don't, so you "let it go", or better yet, just go. Sooo cliched. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4