• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Evil Character contest! Requests needed, please?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
Are you referring to "mean" as in "evil"? If you are, I certainly can think of more than of few of those.

But I think "mean" might be too broad a category, since even some characters that I adore sometimes do "mean" things but they are not what I would term "evil".

I think that there would have to be some sort of criteria. For example: Does the mean/evil person do things that hinder the hero/heroine in their quest? Does the mean/evil person do things knowing that it will physically/mentally hurt someone?

I don't think that I really phrased that properly but I think that you can get the gist of it.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:08 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Is that really correct?! Sheesh. Anything that sucks up that much time should accomplish more than just another popularity contest for characters that don't even really exist. Wow, I mean, I'm just speechless for once. Anime dazed

I find it to be more constructive and appropriate than say, the sub vs. dub debate, fansub debate, lolicon debate, definition of anime debate, etc... all of which go on forever (or until a mod locks it) and never really have any kind of conclusion. I mean, seeing as this is an anime forum, shouldn't we actually be talking about the anime themselves, rather than the "beaten to death" subjects surrounding them?

As far as the "meanest" character though... I'd like a bit more specification on what exactly you mean by "meanest"...
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Are you referring to "mean" as in "evil"? If you are, I certainly can think of more than of few of those.

But I think "mean" might be too broad a category, since even some characters that I adore sometimes do "mean" things but they are not what I would term "evil".

I think that there would have to be some sort of criteria. For example: Does the mean/evil person do things that hinder the hero/heroine in their quest? Does the mean/evil person do things knowing that it will physically/mentally hurt someone?

I don't think that I really phrased that properly but I think that you can get the gist of it.

Not neccicerily a evil person, but more like some one who is a main character who does mean things, but does them alot not just on occasion. Like ...
EX: some one who constantly throws rocks at other people heads
I guess that could be a mean person, so the characters have to be like... how to explain? like what you said (in bold) I guess is the way explain only not evil.

Does that make sense?
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
Not neccicerily a evil person, but more like some one who is a main character who does mean things, but does them alot not just on occasion. Like ...
EX: some one who constantly throws rocks at other people heads
I guess that could be a mean person, so the characters have to be like... how to explain? like what you said (in bold) I guess is the way explain only not evil.

Does that make sense?

Hmm...a cruel person...I think cruel and evil go hand in hand. You know you may as well call this the most evil character contest because the line between someone who does bad things and is evil is a bit thin and I can think of plenty of "evil" characters rather than "mean" characters. Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
I think cruel and evil go hand in hand. You know you may as well call this the most evil character contest because the line between someone who does bad things and is evil is a bit thin and I can think of plenty of "evil" characters rather than "mean" characters. Wink

I'm going to have to go with omar on this one. I can definitely think of more evil people than mean. If you do go with evil, I'll be happy to help with a suggestion list starting with Delphine of Last Exile, Akio Ohtori of Utena and Balladbird Lee of Gungrave. Of course, Balladbird might be considered to be off-the-wall insane rather than evil.

[OT] omar -
Quote:
fighting on a forum is like being first in the Special Olympics, your #1 but you are still retarded

What a HUGE grain of truth in that!
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Thanks I actually tweaked it from a existing joke that I heard on T.V.

LydiaDianne wrote:
Eat right, exercise, die anyway.

You know my sister was a huge health freak she even counted how many glasses of water she drank a day and she ate that one cereal special K or something and then she got in a car accident, she's fine by the way just a few cuts and bruises, and she started saying the same thing. Sorry for being OT.

I'll wait til you decide whether or not to have it be a evil character contest til I give my nominations.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I find it to be more constructive and appropriate than say, the sub vs. dub debate, fansub debate, lolicon debate, definition of anime debate, etc... all of which go on forever (or until a mod locks it) and never really have any kind of conclusion. I mean, seeing as this is an anime forum, shouldn't we actually be talking about the anime themselves, rather than the "beaten to death" subjects surrounding them?

Seriously? I’ve only participated in a single “which fake character best represents some vague quality” thread. It was the “favorite moe” thread and everything about that experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I was a real newbie to this site back then and when I asked what heck moe was I got several answers, some of which seemed fine, but also some others that gave me second thoughts about participating. In the end it didn’t even matter what the heck moe actually represented because it took so long to go through all the motions that I soon lost all interest anyway. Now, as for the other types of recurring threads, I strongly disagree that they aren’t appropriate. It’s hard for me to make the case that they’re verifiably constructive, but if that’s the new bar then most threads on this and every other forum I’ve ever visited would probably have to be considered unconstructive.

1. Subtitles Versus Dubs

This was actually a perfectly legitimate issue prior to the widespread availability of hybrid DVD’s. When I first looked into ordering some anime during the VHS days I was shocked to see that you had to make a choice between subs and dubs and actually had to pay more for subs. Even with the rudimentary VHS technology of the day, most anime tapes could have probably held both sub and dub versions of the 1-hour or less of actual content you got. Now in the day of DVD’s this issue should have died out a long time ago. Anybody who’s still fighting this battle probably needs to get a life. So, hey, I guess I actually agree with you on this one.

2. Fansub Debate

This is still a valid issue in my view. I can see both sides of this issue and we still don’t have anything even resembling an amicable conclusion to this issue. Frankly, I think the fansubbers need to chill out with all the high-and-mighty nonsense and just admit that what they’re doing is nothing more than pure piracy most of the time. However, for series that are so old that there is virtually no chance of a successful R1/3/4/5/6 or R2P release then I think there should be a statute of limitations that allows fansubbers to bring over old content to those who would probably never be able to watch it otherwise. In any case, this issue still has lots of life in it and I don’t yet shudder every time it comes up.

3. Lolicon Debate

You already know my views on this down to the smallest detail, so I’ll leave this one alone for the most part and just say that it’s just as valid now as ever. Also, even though multiple Answerman columns have gotten completely out of control I’ve sometimes gotten something out of the Anime forum threads.

4. Definition of Anime

I will not argue this one at all.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe you guys are right.

No that I think of it, it probably would be easier to do a evil character rather than mean.
Thank you for your help so I'm going to change the title... Once again.
If you want to send requests that would be great.

Quote:
Delphine of Last Exile, Akio Ohtori of Utena and Balladbird Lee of Gungrave. Of course, Balladbird might be considered to be off-the-wall insane rather than evil.

Do you want me to add these as you request? Or was that for the other topic?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
Quote:
Delphine of Last Exile, Akio Ohtori of Utena and Balladbird Lee of Gungrave. Of course, Balladbird might be considered to be off-the-wall insane rather than evil.

Do you want me to add these as you request? Or was that for the other topic?

Oh yeah, these are some of whom I consider being evil Exclamation

I'll add more to the list later, I think I collate them off-line then cut-and-paste them onto here but that will be later.

I have to say that that I'm envious Mr. Green of what you are about to do and what PantsGoblin is doing now in regards to the contest. My computer skills suck beyond imagination Embarassed Rolling Eyes , so when I learn how to do the little things, I'm usually quite pleased with myself... Embarassed Rolling Eyes
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your request!
PantsGoblin doesn't mind me doing this contest to let you know.
And its not that hard to set up a contest, you just need to know the bracets, and how to hyper link.

Edit: I couldn't find balladbird lee. Could you send me a link to a image of him please?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:

Edit: I couldn't find balladbird lee. Could you send me a link to a image of him please?

Here's what I found. It's not him at his insane best but I'll look a bit more.

http://www.insomn.com/grave/lee.html
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:21 am Reply with quote
I'm probably not the best person for this, since most of the anime I watch doesn't even have villains, but here's some suggestions for "evil" characters:

Hamdo from Now and Then, Here and There
Laharl from Makai Senki Disgaea
Suigintou from Rozen Maiden
Eggman from Sonic X
Dokuro-chan from Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Lucy from Elfen Lied
Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII: Avent Children
Kadaj from Final Fantasy VII: Avent Children
Gauron from Full Metal Panic! series
Alv from Kiddy Grade
Nagi Dài Artai from Mai Otome
Gendou Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion
Giovanni from Pokemon
Runa Tokisaka from The SoulTaker
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I'm probably not the best person for this, since most of the anime I watch doesn't even have villains, but here's some suggestions for "evil" characters:

Gauron from Full Metal Panic! series

Nagi Dài Artai from Mai Otome

Nice choices there! I picked the Nagi from My-Hime since I haven't seen Mai Otome yet.

I actually PM'd Cow-Boy_Be-Bop with my suggestions. There were 78. Embarassed Probably more than a few "light-weights" in it since I don't go for the dark and scary stuff myself but I think I did okay.

I suggested some of the major villians from Sailor Moon, Darcia and Jagura from Wolf's Rain, Dilandau and Folken from Escaflowne, villians from FMA, Nakago from Fushigi Yugi and Ni Jenyi of Saiyuki.

Of course that's not all of them but I'd like to think that I did a fairly good job.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I actually PM'd Cow-Boy_Be-Bop with my suggestions.

It's better to post them. That way we don't get people suggesting characters that have already been suggested.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Most evil character I've seen in an anime is definitely Aion from Chrono Crusade. He's incredibly charismatic, insanely evil, backstabbing (even with his own crew), and no matter what the good guys do it always seems to be exactly as he's planned it even when they win. To me he represented the ultimate villain, and one of the most evil.

As for the rest, I agree with PantsGoblin, this is far more constructive than the overdone debates that dominate this forum at times. Not because the issues aren't valid, but because you're encountering two sides of a vicious debate, ultimately neither side is going to give any ground and that's been proven over the years as those debates never establish anything and just end up in open conflict and eventually get locked. I can see why you might not like a contest, but simply don't click on it or participate if you do not care for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8