• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One-Punch Man Anime Features Kaito Ishikawa, Makoto Furukawa, Madhouse

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
account343242

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
People tend to only look at the studio but the staff makes the anime work. The director directed and worked on Seasons 1 and 2 of space dandy, this should be good, Mad house is a big plus too
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Great that they got Madhouse on the works. I would have been so pissed if it was somebody like J.C. Staff. I'm not as well informed on voice actors, but it looks like the current cast has positive reviews.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Madhouse will make this into a beautiful show. All doubt is gone, 10/10 anime incoming
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Madhouse also animated The Boondocks, which I'm sure is a lot of people's first (and so far only) exposure to the studio. The fight scenes in that show were great too, but the budget really dipped for the second and third seasons.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I remember Madhouse because they did the first Gunslinger Girl Series, introduced me to the world of manga and was produced with a decent budget and decent action scenes interspersed throughout.

Anything around that standard won't be too bad, even the ongoing Parasyte anime generally has its plus sides on the animation front despite not having a top priority budget.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Madhouse also animated The Boondocks, which I'm sure is a lot of people's first (and so far only) exposure to the studio. The fight scenes in that show were great too, but the budget really dipped for the second and third seasons.

Actually that wasn't Madhouse exactly. The first season was by Dong Woo animation, the second was MOI Animation (which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Madhouse), the third was JM Animation and the forth was Studio Mir. All korean studios. Madhouse can technically take credit for MOI's work since they own them but they didn't produce the actual animation.

Also i don't think we watched the same show because the animation quality was way better in later seasons. Season 1 by todays standards looks really meh.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I kept hearing it from everybody so I took their word for it. The stuff I know done by Madhouse looked like it too, so I was pretty convinced.

I didn't watch the entirety of the second season until I got it on DVD, and I haven't watched all of the third season, but I remember most of the episodes being incredibly talky with a few highlight episodes with amazing animation, so I figured they had to save some money on some of these.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I didn't watch the entirety of the second season until I got it on DVD, and I haven't watched all of the third season, but I remember most of the episodes being incredibly talky with a few highlight episodes with amazing animation, so I figured they had to save some money on some of these.

They did upgrade the character designs for season 2 though. Season 4 looks like it has a softer coloring for the characters' skin as well.
I actually don't have any interest in this show but Madhouse is awesome, so I may give episode 1 a try if I'm bored.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
Look, obviously the quality of a show is going to depend on a whole lot of factors. The simple quality of the source material is arguably the biggest issue. Especially with Madhouse which generally seems to take the shotgun approach to making anime, adapting a mountain of content, a lot of which is junk. That said, I think it's a mistake to write off the importance of the studio entirely. It is still a good general indicator of whether a show is likely to at least live up to its potential given the source material.

Of course, the actual creative staff is a better indicator. I'll take a show with a good creative staff at a lesser studio over the reverse. But that said, it's essentially impossible to actually look at all the staff beyond the head people. And you can't by any means discount the significance of all the secondary people, the episode directors/writers, key animators, etc. And at the end of the day, there's still something to be said for needing the studio to give the creative staff the budget and freedom to do their best.

So yeah, studio can still be a solid general indicator.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
With Madhouse producing the animation, I can say with confidence that One-Punch Man is guarenteed to become an epic anime.

^This is the worst part about Madhouse - the amount of blind faboys the company apparently has. It's enough to make me prefer it having been done by another studio.

The staff is good, but until I see a PV I can't say anything about the series. I only hope that the series remains as true to the artistic style of the original as possible.

Are you really that incompetent you have to dislike a studio because of it's fans, instead of, you know, the actual animation? It's not their fault they have a lot of followers. If you prefer another studio solely because it's more "obscure" then you're essentially a hipster. Jeez, people these days.
passer by

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Madhouse produce average animations more frequently nowadays, let's see if they can pull it off, and for the art, again, your typical MH art.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3