• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf/Nozomi Ent. to Release Revolutionary Girl Utena on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
King Jareth wrote:
Honestly I just wish it had a new English dub!

I also wish RGU had a new English version as well. The first third of the current dub of it is really bad.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy to hear Nozomi is getting into BD's. The fact it's Utena is just a very nice bonus for me. I will more than likely be buying the BD when it comes out. I think I'll hold onto my normal dvd's for a bit longer just in case. Make them a backup perhaps.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for more older shows getting Blu-Ray releases!!! Way to go Rightstuf, I will definitely be double dipping. I kind of hope it's just a standard release tho so I dont have to pay out the ass for another deluxe set.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I liked the Right Stuf DVD set when it came out. But that is the problem with buying DVD only. I bought the DVD because I didn't think BD's would come out for it. The days of DVD only need to go away. I can't afford to double dip for every show that didn't come out with a BD initially.

More power to you all that are going to double dip, and to you all that waited hoping for a BD release.

Blame Japan
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
I've thought about pulling the trigger on the Japanese BDs but I could never justify it. I'll definitely pick up at least the third set to get the movie in HD. Great news!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping to find the third DVD box set in stores around where I live, but never had any luck with that. I was about to resort to online shopping, and then I see this announcement. I wonder if I should just let this run its course and pick up the episodes I need to complete the set.
NorbieH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Doubt they'll fix the interlacing issue....

That always puts me off every time I watch the DVD's, and if the US blu-rays look like the Japanese I may for the first time finish the series.
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
ABOUT TIME Right Stuf/Nozomi Ent. starting putting older shows on BD.
Will be double dipping for this one.

I want to know what made them want to release this on BD and if they're going to have plans to re-release any of their titles onto BD.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't finished going through the extras on the Utena DVDs. I'm perfectly happy waiting for the Blu-ray release to do that.
NorbieH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
GhostOfSide3 wrote:
ABOI want to know what made them want to release this on BD and if they're going to have plans to re-release any of their titles onto BD.

Looks like it's more cost-effective for them to take this venture and if that's successful I'm sure more will be on the way. However, I don't see them doing their own transfers so if it's not out on HD in Japan already then then won't do a release.

But Utena and Gundam is a great start where I look forward to both and any future HD releases.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
I've bought it three times (CPM release, Japanese remaster, Rightstuf release), and I'll do it again.
NorbieH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
I've bought it three times (CPM release, Japanese remaster, Rightstuf release), and I'll do it again.

Did you get your ring with the Rightstuf release? Smile
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
King Jareth wrote:
Honestly I just wish it had a new English dub!

I also wish RGU had a new English version as well. The first third of the current dub of it is really bad.

A new dub along the lines of what VIZ did for Sailor Moon would make these Blu Ray discs the *definitive* version of Utena and a no-brainer for anyone into symbolic anime. I'll still going to pick them up without it, but it'll be quite begrudgingly... and mainly for the movie (which it'd be nice to have and probably profitable for them to release as a standalone disc).

Seriously, I think having *only* the Dub available on Hulu is actually turning more people off to the series than anything else... It's _that_ bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3