• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Three Naruto Filler Arcs You Shouldn't Skip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I watched all filler episodes of the first Naruto anime, and found them mostly bearable, and some even pretty good.

Besides, there was some wonderful music such as Natsuhiboshi by genius composer Toshio Masuda -- if not fillers, we would not have it.

After that, I did not watch fillers. Except for amazing, great recent episode where Naruto was turned into flying killing-robot -- it was the best thing ever. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/

Here, you can base your complaining on what we've actually published in the last month and not just this one article.

You said so yourself you liked the Shirobako one. We published one like it 2 weeks ago, and we have another one like that coming up soon, along with a bunch of other stuff.

And no, we didn't "get rid" of House of 1000 Manga, Jason retired it.

well that kinda sucked since the house of 1000 manga was a lot of people's favorites.

also i think you guys forgot about ep 101 (Gotta see gotta know!Kakashi's true face!) if your talking about fillers that shouldnt be skipped.

while the raiga arc is fine and all, more people in the otaku community only liked that one filler ep and for a good reason too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
also i think you guys forgot about ep 101 (Gotta see gotta know!Kakashi's true face!) if your talking about fillers that shouldnt be skipped.

This was one of my favorites, too, but it's only partial filler and it doesn't constitute an arc. I'd welcome a separate piece on the best standalone episodes, though.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
The Chikara Arc filler was my favorite. Smile
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
And that's why I decided to stop watching the Naruto anime and go straight to the manga instead - I loathe fillers. Especially shounen and magical girl fillers, they're rarely any good.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
The most recent "New Chunin Exams" filler arc was surprisingly good. The "Konoha History" arc was good too.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I liked the fillers with Hinata, they fleshed out her character some more, and any episode with the best female in the series is a win in my book.
SnowCentaur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
I clicked on this article hoping for, but really not expecting, the curry arc to be in here Very Happy Happily surprised. I stopped watching years ago, but I still remember that one.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
Nice to see a filler appreciation article Very Happy .
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
The Fire Temple/Tewlve Guardian Ninja arc is my favorite filler arc and up among some of my favorite Shippuden arcs overall to this day. After the terrible Part 1 fillers and the lackluster first 50 episodes of Shippuden, the Fire Temple picked up the pace, quality of writing, and visual direction of the show, proving that Naruto was not a lost cause after all.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
One of the filler arcs that I liked was the sem-filler arc on the Akatsuki's origins they showed during the flashbacks after Tobi got unmasked. I say semi-filler because it does expand upon the Akatsuki's origins in that while it may be essentially canon, a lot of it wasn't shown in the manga.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
The Kakashi ANBU arc was excellent.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
After the terrible Part 1 fillers and the lackluster first 50 episodes of Shippuden, the Fire Temple picked up the pace, quality of writing, and visual direction of the show, proving that Naruto was not a lost cause after all.

I think I actually preferred the huge chunk of fillers at the end of the original series to the first 50-ish episodes of Shippuden. The Kazekage Rescue Arc may be my least favorite arc of the series.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Amy McNulty wrote:
While the Gintama approach works well for manga purists, audience interest is likely to wane whenever a popular show takes a lengthy breather.

I...would disagree with this assessment, based on the methodology of most long-running western TV shows. What you've described is pretty much exactly the way it is for said shows, and I've never run in to a viewer who got burned out from one because they couldn't wait a year between their seasonal runs. If anything, I feel like such a practice builds up anticipation, and yes, yearning. I am currently yearning for season 3 of RWBY (in spite of Oum's death), for example.

This instant-gratification mindset of injecting fluff into a series while the source gets ahead is one of anime's largest and longest-standing problems from a quality standpoint--three or so quality filler arcs (one of which, as you stated, was really more like, and probably should have been, a film) doesn't change this. I haven't seen Gintama, but if what you say is true, then it should be considered a bastion of what ought to be in this particular regard.

Of course, I am thinking primarily of American viewers when making these comparisons, which leads me to a question: are Japanese viewers so different? Are their attention/interest spans so narrow that they can't wait a year for the next season of real, quality content? Is it really more profitable to throw money at the production of sub-par filler arcs so the show can stay on-air constantly?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I think in some cases, Amy's assertion is spot-on. In others, I think what Gatherum said holds true. It largely depends on the property and target demo.

Despite being popular with teens and young adults in the West, most of Naruto's Japanese fan base is comprised of elementary-to-middle-school-aged boys. Having been one, I can say with some certainty that this is a fickle demo with rapidly changing tastes. If the Naruto anime were to bow out for a while, there's a good chance many of these fans would shift their attention to other series - possibly even other Shounen Jump properties - and not care to revisit the show when it resumed. When the Bleach anime wrapped up, sources close to the production claimed it was just a hiatus. This may have been the plan at the time, but at this point, I think it's safe to say that we won't be seeing any more Bleach in anime form. (Time may prove me wrong, however.) Alternatively, Gintama's core audience is young adults, and we're generally more patient than the aforementioned demo. It's rare to see anime aimed at this demographic kept on the air indefinitely.

Speaking from personal experience, my interest in certain shows has diminished as a result of prolonged hiatuses. For example, I used to be a huge Venture Bros. fan, but now that we only get 8-10 episodes every 3-4 years, it's difficult for me to get as excited about it as I used to. Likewise, I'm not as psyched about the upcoming Sherlock special as I would have been if the show hadn't gone AWOL for a couple years. This doesn't mean I no longer enjoy these franchises, but during their absences, I've found countless other books, films and television series to fill the respective gaps they left. Still, I'm not as enthused about them as I once was, nor am I as excited by the prospect of their return.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4