• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. Part I's Newest Video Features "Butter-Fly" Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
pandoraking wrote:
always whining about toei's animation and when it does well everyone keeps saying its bad. just admit it lol. and nice visual, already super hyped

Well I wouldn't say it's "breathtaking" maybe in comparison to original show. But it is decent and I think it looks better than it did in the first trailer.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Why couldn't have Sailor Moon Crystal been a film series instead of an bimonthly ONA series? Then maybe the animation wouldn't have had so many problems and it would probably be more popular.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope that when/if there will be a dub, they'll say with the original everything.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:
switchgear1131 wrote:
DigitalScratch wrote:
On a silly note- I'm actually concerned whether they're going to keep/address the Matt/Sora relationship. I get that the finicky writing in both the Japanese. and the dub were the reason why the pair wasn't very well handled, but my Tai/Sora shipping heart needs some clarification or peace even after 13 years. Shipper problems at its finest.

Well Toei has in the past said Matt and Sora get married, so unless they are backtracking on that....

In the original series, the TaixSora thing was never supposed to happen, so says the co-creator of Digimon, Hiroyuki Kakudou . The plan was always to have Matt and Sora end up together.
Just saying. I mean I ship TaixSora too.

Back in the day, I allowed the hole Matt/Sora relationship to slid. I, like everyone else, thought Sora and Tai were gonna be a thing. But after she rejected him at that Christmas concert, I just thought: Oh, well. If it wasn't meant to be then it wasn't meant to be.

My main concern really has always been whether or not T.K and Kari hooked up.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:

In the original series, the TaixSora thing was never supposed to happen, so says the co-creator of Digimon, Hiroyuki Kakudou .

Kakudou....Co-Creator? I'd like a legitimate source on that and not just a tumblr blog post. This is the first time I've heard of such a thing.

He just directed the original two seasons of the anime. He's had nothing more to do with the franchise, aside from a couple of Xros episodes and X-Evolution, iirc. Both of those ended up being better than the massive mess that was 02.It even says it in the previous blog linked by your link.

Quote:
Well, I contacted series director of Digimon Adventure and 02: Hiroyuki Kakudō. He’s the creator of the first two series (along with Toei Animation producer Hiromi Seki).
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
That Greymon vs. Kuwagumon footage was incredible. Toei actually seems like they are putting a lot of effort into this!
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
The first ten or so seconds of listening to this version of Butter-fly, I didn't really like it. But once I listened to the whole version in the trailer, it grew on me. I quite like this new version. In a way, I feel like if Digimon Adventure (originally) came out now, that would be how Butter-Fly sounds like (I apologize if my wording is wonky here). Truthfully, I would be bummed out if they just kept the original version for this new series (although they better play it at some point during the series/movies, even if it's at the very end of the whole thing).

As far as Tai/Sora/Matt goes, I actually hope they "ignore" how it went down in the past and maybe leave it ambiguous as to who Sora chooses, if they go that route.
I am not just saying that as a Tai/Sora fan,... although my inner 11-year old is still bitter about 02's ending, haha.
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
That picture is super awesome, but is Yamato going to be okay sitting on Alphamon's spear like that...?
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else notice what day this trailer came out on?

Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I adore this new, acoustic version of Butter-Fly so much better than the original.

And yet, looking at the cast photos (especially Junya Ikeda's tweet), I still can't see him and Ichimichi Mao together and not wonder why they're not dressed as pirates. Honestly, hearing the two of them together again is half of why I'm excited for this at all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Why couldn't have Sailor Moon Crystal been a film series instead of an bimonthly ONA series? Then maybe the animation wouldn't have had so many problems and it would probably be more popular.

*sigh* This. I feel like because the series is aimed at women, Toei doesn't take it seriously like Digimon or Dragonball Z. They should have just animated Sailor V, like it originally was going to before the original anime was created. (It fell through because the animation company that was about to do it went bankrupt.) That way, there would have been less damage done, and they could have kept the same art design. I wouldn't have minded shoddy animation if the designs are at least the same. In my opinion, the art design in Crystal is terrible and looks nothing like the manga artwork. In fact, the original anime looked closer to it. I don't know what they have against putting the whites in their eyes in the middle. And because Sailor V is shorter than Sailor Moon, it may have had given them more motivation to do better because there would've been less work. I would have loved if Crystal was drawn and animated like Ami's First Love OVA...
Shinraisei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
god45 wrote:
wait,if am reading this right, the movie will be streamed on the same that as in the theater ? if so that great news

It won't be streamed, but will be made available on iTunes the same day. Whether Japan only or as a means to reach the International audiences is unknown. (And maybe it'll be on iTunes for 3-weeks?) I wouldn't mind if the film series had 1-day limited showing internationally in a handful of cities the same date as in Japan or later. This is something I would love to see in theatres.

Also there will be a limited amount of BD discs of the film available during the 3 week run in the 10 cinemas. I imagine it'll be a situation where those living near or in city centres will be able to go, but those in other regions will need to wait until December.

Lord Starfish wrote:
#842348 wrote:
wiitard119 wrote:
The original butterfly is waaaay better. The animation looked awesome though!

Erm, they got the origoinal singer,
It's just after his throat surgery, his voice isn't the same as back then.

Having the same singer doesn't mean the rest of the song would be as good. It seems to have less energy to it and the instrumentals don't seem as good. Still, I've heard far worse remixes, so I don't mind too much. It doesn't sound as good as the original, but it's not bad.

(fyi--this is a man who's had cancer twice)

He also did not show up at DigiFest. Watching the stream, when Ayumi Miyazaki--with the cast and AiM behind him--got back on stage near the end and read a letter from Wada Kouji which explained that he couldn't be there, but not why. He mentioned how he had hoped that DAF (probably) would be where he would make his "revival" of Butter-fly. The transcript is floating on tumblr somewhere. It'll kick you in the feels.

He did cancel his July concert (the one announced after re-fly came out) due to health reasons, but I think they hoped he'd come to DAF. Like, the whole cast, including the MC, Matsuzawa (popular news anchor and grown up Digimon fan) looked so...very sad while it was being read. Then the group of them all sang Butter-fly in place of Wada.

So, I hope whatever it is, I hope he'll be back in good shape soon. Sad

Anyways I'm really excited. I wonder when/if we'll get a voiced trailer later on with another hint to the story. I don't want a "A threat comes!" "A hero returns!" "Save the world!" trailer. This is a film I actually want to be teased about its plot in tiny doses through the trailers, but keep me excited to find out what the film is about.....if that makes sense! Anime hyper
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
While Kakudou may have said that Sorato was planned and foreshadowed, it's said that he didn't tell some of the writers that. With this, how are they supposed to foreshadow it? Two characters that were shown to barely interact then end up together is deemed foreshadowing, by this logic (Naruto and Hinata, anyone?).
crazyidiot78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
I thought the animation was pretty good. Yeah the character designs were a little flat, but I've seen worse. The actual digimon animation was better than I remember it being, and I liked the music.

What I am really waiting for is some kind of news about the plot. In the previous digimon incarnations the darkness (bad guy) always came from the digital world. I am hoping given how season 2 ended that the antagonist is actual from the human side, potentially government/ private military trying to take advantage of creatures than have tremendous potential. Some of the digimon are virtually gundams, godzilla monsters, walking WMDs etc.... The idea of the season 1 crew having to put a stop to this would be very cool.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I find the character designs to be a bit subdued, but the animation looks alright so far. Here's hoping the overall story fares well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3