• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Perfect Insider (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I'm not sure that that's young Magata we're seeing. Didn't the show mention she had a younger sister? That may have been the lab director going to get her?

But the man in the car calls her "Shiki", which is her given name. So unless Magata's younger sister was also named Shiki...Or the guy was using her sister as a creepy stand-in for her...

I won't deny the second possibility entirely, since I can't say for sure where this show wants to take its characters, but I rather doubt it's the first one. I'd say there's around an 80% chance that the girl in the car is the Magata who is a genius and one of our three main characters.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure all the narrated flashbacks to young Shiki are taking place within the context of the note/letter/short novel that was introduced in episode 1 as being written by someone. I don't think anything has cemented when, exactly, in the timeline this is being written so it is unclear what events are being reflected - is it just the known murders or is the narration actually a flash forward which has knowledge of what ends up happening with the current story?

Mostly though I'm wondering if there's any significance to the wedding attire besides spooky scary. I can't think of one offhand, based on what we know so far.

Alan45 wrote:
I'm pretty sure she didn't isolate herself. Didn't she say to Moe that the isolation was not of her free will? Basically a rich person jail.

I thought it was ludicrous that the large armed guard was afraid to open the door because she had previously murdered people. Even if she wanted to murder all the staff for locking her up for 15 years, where would she get the weapons and the strength to take out an armed guard?

IIRC, when Magata said she was not there of her free will she mentioned the reasons being something inside of her. I don't believe she has any external obligations to remain there.

Also, I think the fear may simply be a result of the mythos surrounding her or it could be a clue that the people at the lab are aware of capabilities she has beyond the obvious.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Magata is still such a strange character still...

15 years. 15 years of not coming out of that room and no one ever entered. They really got 15 years of video records? I find that almost hard to believe but is possible. Pretty sure that wedding dress also has a deeper meaning. I think the show is trying to construct the basis of this dark story while connecting events of the past.

That ending was kinda creepy....

I'm still not sure how I feel about the story so far with these three episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Ep 3

Finally, someone's dead..and its spoiler[a Magata]. Something tells me Miki (the youngest) and Shiki (the oldest) are spoiler[pulling an Utsubora] and that this whole "locked room scenario" it just a cheap magic trick.

There's more self-awareness like the comment of exposition dialogue in mystery anime but, I feel like its a jab at the genre than anything to really pay attention to for now. I'm curious why only the old guy looked under the sheet when, for all we know, the killer could have an inside man assisting them. Then, there's the amputation of the limbs and how long the body has been deceased; didn't look totally decomposed but, there could have been away to perverse the corpse.

Darn, I was really hoping the dude in the flash backs (I thought it was the director but, maybe not) wasn't a pedophile but, the last scene was enough to cement what kind of relationship he had with Shiki and, possibly, why Shiki was so interested learning about Moe's affection for Prof. Sohei.

The indifference both Sohei and Moe felt for the body wasn't surprising. Both have this air of being better than others due to their status so, them having dramatic reactions to a corpse wouldn't make sense although there's one scene that bothered me. Moe's recalling her chat with Shiki and the mention of her late parents. Earlier, Sohei seemed worried about her dozing off and she teases him about it. Now, when Moe seems genuinely upset and wants to being up her parents, Sohei abruptly walks off. So, far they are an interesting pair and I'm still enjoying the series in a weird way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Deborah has to be some part of this. I can't remember if it has been said, but I thought that there was implications that the AI might have been created by her. Maybe in a sense is her child so it killed her like it did to her own parents.

I thought that maybe the director was involved, but his death makes it seem unlikely. Her sister also looks like an important part, perhaps the wedding dress and "relationship" with the director also points at something.

Or this could be a "magic trick". Is it really her body? Could the sisters have been swapped around at some point? The elder sister apparently looks younger. If this was done over time there is a good chance important items were constructed from other items. On the video conference, back to what I said up the top, I think Deborah might be involved.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think that the main 'solution' to this mystery relies on reinterpreting some fundamental assumption that is being made. It's not just a simple "this seems impossible and the facts don't add up," rather, I think that fundamentally what we think is happening and what is happening are two different things. I'm not sure which assumption(s) it is, but I think it has to be a pretty big one. I agree with dusky that the computer probably has a lot to do with it, and would bet quite a bit on it being a true AI. I also wouldn't be surprised if the main thrust ends up being something deeper than just these murders.

And it seems pretty likely that spoiler[the sisters are switched.]. You'll note though that this concept, even if true, doesn't really have any meaningful implications at this point.

So one possible thought I had: spoiler[Shiki Magata did not kill her parents. Her sister did. However, it was her sister that was in the room for 15 years and that is who just died.]

I wouln't say that Moe and Souhei are indifferent to the death; they're just more calm. They're people where their higher thought is dominant, and so their response to this kind of situation is to use their capacity for critical thought, rather than letting their passions run wild.

I liked the whole thing of "creating your descendants is akin to imagining your own death." Never thought of it that way, and I think there is definitely something to that. Nice setting that against fleeting fireworks.

And then her getting it on with the director on the Ferris wheel at night was really cool in a subtly and insidiously off-putting way.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I thought that maybe the director was involved, but his death makes it seem unlikely.

Actually, based on the limited thumbs-up response he gave and the fact that the context for the flashbacks seems to be a letter the director wrote explaining Shiki's actions, I think he actually was in on it. Whether he was a fly in a spider's web or a willing participant is up in the air.

Souhei's reaction to the death of the director was also interesting. He was clearly not surprised, and seemed to take it simply as confirmation of something. It could be as simple as him having figured that as elaborate as this murder plan on an isolated island was, there was no getting out of the situation as simple as waiting for the director's return to reestablish communication.

In regards to assumptions: I deeply suspect that Shiki's conversation with Moe involved the transmission of some non-obvious information. They made a point that all communication is recorded, meaning that just like nothing physical comes and goes from Shiki's room without being audited hypothetically no information comes and goes without similar audit but there are any number of tricks to hiding information in plain sight. After all, we're talking about a conversation between two manipulative geniuses.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
^
That's a really good idea. They keep going back to that conversation, and it seems like each episode we see new excerpts from it as well.

Also, since the conversation was made public, the relevant information in it may have been meant for someone other than Moe.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
EP 4

Hmmm did they just randomly forget their is still a killer on the loose? Why would they go back to their own rooms to rest? It should be safe to assume that the security system was somehow compromised, so staying alone in their own locked rooms shouldn't be safe at all.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

I feel like pacing for the show slowed down again but the focus on the mystery is quite intriguing and not like some shows.

It keep its thrilling atmosphere with background info but also focusing on what's happening in the present. The combination of the locked room idea and Magata's multiple personalities really made this episode worth watching. Oh and can't forget about that robot either going by the name, Michiru. What a curious little thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Hmmm did they just randomly forget their is still a killer on the loose? Why would they go back to their own rooms to rest? It should be safe to assume that the security system was somehow compromised, so staying alone in their own locked rooms shouldn't be safe at all.

Yeah, that was really odd. If only Dr. Magata had been murdered one might figure that the murderer was solely after her and that while they may still be present they aren't actually a threat to anyone else. But the director is also dead now. You'd think Yamane would be especially worried.

Moe's purple reference is really interesting. It could be connected to my thought of some information given to her by Dr. Magata during their conversation or it could be connected to the death of her parents somehow. I suppose there could be a third option but I couldn't guess where else that may have come from.

I'm not sure if it's important, but episode 2 is Azure Encounter and episode 3 is Red Magic. Purple is a blend of those two colors. If the azure is the sea and the red is blood, then... some sort of merging of the inside and outside worlds of a person? I'm probably overthinking it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Have we been told how Moe's parents died? My first thought when she said that was that she was referring to the discoloration of the skin (livor mortis), which in part depends on the mode of death (asphyxiation causes purple, while some poisons and diseases yield other colors). If her parents were killed (or just died) in some similar fashion (by which I mean, say, it took x days to find the bodies or something), then it would be a detail she'd be familiar with.

Livor mortis, along with rigor mortis, also speaks to the time of death, and given that blood tends to pool in the extremities after death, cutting them off might have been intended as a further disguise of when she died, as it would affect the distribution of blood and the intensity of color.

Or, she just thought her eyes looked purple instead of blue... They'll eventually tell us.

One thing that's got me curious is how her body is perfectly upright. Regardless of whether she has limbs, she should have been slouched over on that cart, or even fallen off when it began to move. It's like her entire spine is staked in place right up into her skull.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I am going to go into crazy territory, just because a thought came in my mind. Perhaps she was not alone, could she have become pregnant at some point and could have raised a child and raised it for the period of time she was locked up? Well I only got the idea when hearing her voice and that was explained by the fact there was a robot.

I can't imagine the robot would have been dextrous enough to pull of a lot.

Kind of silly that they all decide to just go to sleep with a killer on the loose.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Well now that was quite something...

It's interesting that Magata's character especially about her personalities. As talky as this show is, I really find it insightful at how much they focus on the main characters.

Moe's conversation about killing, freedom, and their connection also is something that's noticeable. Uh, the part about parent killing was a bit disturbing, at least in terms of topic. The expression that Moe showed during that conversation seemed obvious. The ending of "a tool to free oneself" seemed to tie with the theme of this week's episode.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5:

(Mini rant) Whenever there's a show that discusses the "artificiality" of morality, I can't help but interpret it as an excuse for people to be freed from actual responsibilities and their fetish for the "wilderness". Particularity, how all the characters in the series are upper class scholars who most likely never had to touch a twig a day in their life. Kinda how there was a #wanderlust thing this year where people dreamed of ruffing it out in the woods but, in reality, they would just head towards the nearest resort. Had the show been about people who actually were born and raised outside the urban lifestyle I'm positive the outlook on wilderness wouldn't be so peachy keen. (Rant over)

So, here, the parallels of Magata and Moe was creepy but, more so with how Souhei was practically defending Magata for killing her parents to achieve "freedom". Then, there's that purity BS about her multiple personality which, along with the pedophile director (not sure if that's her blood uncle or not) makes Souhei's affection for Magata even more disturbing. Ugh...

The "doll" analogy is more clear; a body to hold a soul and played with. Therefore, its likely that the director choose to kill himself (I know Moe said he was murdered but I mean in that he allowed himself to die). I wouldn't be surprised if Magata set up the whole thing so that Moe would do something drastic as another "doll".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5