• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One-Punch Man

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaiaX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:16 am Reply with quote
I don't read the manga and my friend that usually skip the anime if he read the manga even digging it! Both Gundam IBO and OPM animation is really great, hope they don't cut quality for the next eps. Also both OP is good but i think best OP this season is Gundam IBO. I can't wait seeing people cosplaying Saitama!
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
Spoilers from the latest episode (2)

spoiler[Had to check with chapter 8 regarding the use of Consecutive Normal Punches. AND THEY DID HAPPEN, IT'S CANON, WE GOT TO SEE ONE OF HIS "SPECIAL" ATTACKS THIS EARLY ON!

To be honest, the design is gorgeous. Mosquito Girl looks way better in the anime, specially her final form. And the guys from the House of Evolution as well. I mean King Lion actually looked threatening for a moment there. And that Genos speech... my sides... they hurt]

Overall, 20/10, I can't, CAN'T WAIT to see the rest of the cast!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
I tried getting into the manga and it didn't really grab me, but the anime is definitely changing my mind. I'm amazed at how well they have done the fighting animation, especially considering that you always know how it's going to end. Mad House really is at the top of its game here

The whole monologue thing and Saitama's expression as it went on was priceless, I was cracking up near the end
gustave154

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
The second episode is way waaaay more hilarious than I expected it would be
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So... it takes a certain type of anime fan to enjoy this show?

So following this article, I checked out the reviews for the first episode and yes, everyone's gushing over its technical merits and its humor as an afterthought and what setting? I see the animation and design throughout but don't care about quality art production for its own sake. All animation may be equally created but it's not all created equally; It's an investment with more money put into series that are hyped but in this series, I thinks it's more a diversion.

The humor seems to be in the style of "it's funny because it's in the form of a joke but it's really not". It looks silly but it's not silly.

And then there's the main character. "I can relate to the main character" as it appears in all those first episode reviews. You know, I can't. For example, there's Crabhead from the first episode and by the look of blood on him prior to meeting the first character, he's apparently on a murderous rampage.. the joke's he in his underwear, laugh!...so stopping him and the supposed rest who just appear in the City from killing everyday citizens is less "I'm jaded because I'm so powerful" character and more of a "let them die, I'll stop them if I feel like it" one. A sociopath superhero who's apathy is more a problem than the villains. With great power comes great... eh.

Oh, we're back at Evangelion style antiheroes these days? In our real world, such characters work but in their own setting, they come off a little annoying. It's not a life, it's a duty. Shut up and do it.

Also, don't quip. Don't you realize how many people just died, including the villain?

If it was just crime then this would work... it would also be The Tick. I can't even consider this show black comedy because the main character really can't reference death, either the ones he's preventing or causing.

Oh my god. Please stop. This is the reason why I often regret reading the forums on this site. A jaded community like this is why I feel like we need more shows like One Punch Man around. I don't get it, most anime comedies I've seen have been barely tolerable for me at all. Sometimes that's because the humor just doesn't translate well, but more likely, it's just because the jokes are simply too predictable and juvenile anyway. I like that this show's humor isn't just solely based on "oh, it's funny because he accidentally saw her panties and she punched him in the face" type of jokes and deliveries. I don't want to come off as pretentious, but I like comedy that actually requires me to think a little bit about why something's so funny. There has to be more layers and depth to the humor.

So... yeah! I like this show very much. Finding out that it was directed by the same guy who directed Space Dandy made a lot of sense, since I was getting massive Dandy vibes the whole time. I haven't read the manga (I barely read any to begin with), but after watching these first two episodes, I definitely want to check it out! Also, I find it funny that the last two anime I truly enjoyed before this came along were Parasyte and Death Parade, both shows that were from Madhouse as well! They must be the studio for me to look for lately when I need an enjoyable anime to watch.
HolyR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, and about the comedy in this show: I've noticed there's a lot less of the "anime laughtrack", that is, every time something FUNNY happens and you should LAUGH there's some stupid sound effect (especially that infuriating bamboo noise) or like fifteen filters over the reaction face.

Like yeah, there's still reaction faces and stuff, but not every joke is accompanied by twenty different cues indicating YOU SHOULD LAUGH HERE.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
One-Punch Man's humor is sofisticated and nuanced. Some people just aren't going to 'get it'.

Mostly those who take themselves too seriously.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
You know, until I read this review, I kind of forgot that Genos is out for revenge against another cyborg. Maybe Genos forgot too.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
the humor in this series.. i guess it will depend on what you think is funny..

That'd apply to ALL comedy though. Comedy is highly subjective, and there's no such thing as something universally funny.

HolyR wrote:
Yeah, and about the comedy in this show: I've noticed there's a lot less of the "anime laughtrack", that is, every time something FUNNY happens and you should LAUGH there's some stupid sound effect (especially that infuriating bamboo noise) or like fifteen filters over the reaction face.

Like yeah, there's still reaction faces and stuff, but not every joke is accompanied by twenty different cues indicating YOU SHOULD LAUGH HERE.

Not to mention the whole schtick I always see in anime where someone does something silly, and another character has to comment on it and explain what's going on. I know it originates from manzai, but the way I see it, if you have to explain your joke, your joke wasn't that good to begin with. I don't like manzai either for that same reason (but I know it's something ingrained into Japanese culture, and I know people in Japan would likely not find western-style stand-up comedy to be very funny).

I am so glad series like Gin Tama and One-Punch Man refrain from this sort of thing. They're confident in their own humor to not need it.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
What would happen if saitama were to punch himself? Confused
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was ok-ish though I did like the Piccolo monster. The second episode had me chuckling and the timing on final mosquito swat was great that it got a laugh out of me. I think the teaming up of Genos with Saitama and the potential interaction between both was a good move as that should help keep the one-punch theme from getting stale.

So far its a keeper for the season...

Exalted Incarnate wrote:

Nothing since it isn't just his fist that is strong.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
The first episode was ok-ish though I did like the Piccolo monster. The second episode had me chuckling and the timing on final mosquito swat was great that it got a laugh out of me. I think the teaming up of Genos with Saitama and the potential interaction between both was a good move as that should help keep the one-punch theme from getting stale.

So far its a keeper for the season...

Exalted Incarnate wrote:

Nothing since it isn't just his fist that is strong.

I know, but for an immensely overpowing character it would be funny to see saitama have ironic flaws, for instance what if his kick attacks were extreamly weak despite having the most strong punch. But I suppose he is fine the way he is.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Saitama DOES have a number of flaws and weaknesses that, while it doesn't mean villains stand any more of a chance against him, it does mean villains have a much greater chance of getting away with what they had intended to do in the first place. The thing is that none of these flaws or weaknesses are physical. Well, except for his ridiculous appearance spoiler[which I would count as a legitimate weakness because it prevents people from taking him seriously unless they see him in action; because of this, he rarely gets credit or compensation for what he does.]

Other weaknesses of his include spoiler[social awkwardness, below-average intelligence, a bad sense of direction, indecisiveness, and a lack of money.]

When the series isn't played for comedy, notice that it's played for suspense: It's never a question of if Saitama can beat the bad guys. (It rarely is for any other costumed hero in all of fiction anyway.) It's a question of if Saitama can locate and punch the correct bad guy before the situation becomes worse.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Saitama's biggest weakness is of course his generalspoiler[ indifference, and will often let bad situations continue that he could end decisively. ]
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I've read manga up-to-date and seen both episodes.

Its fantastic translation so far, animation great mostly.

The Hot Rod villain wasn't that well done.

Overall i hope they keep this up!
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I've read manga up-to-date and seen both episodes.

Its fantastic translation so far, animation great mostly.

The Hot Rod villain wasn't that well done.

Overall i hope they keep this up!

Well, that guy wasn't in the original manga. They just made him up for the sake of filler, so of course he'd be a little blander.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21