• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Times It Was All Just A Dream

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
I wish Cyborg 009 would actually see the light of day in a Hollywood movie since it has a multi-ethnic cast. And considering how the various proposed live-action anime stories here would likely have such diversity to adhere to being PC, it makes sense.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
I really wish this new poll was one you could vote for more than one of.

my mom actually got excited with the old news of a live action Witch Hunter Robin back in the day and it was something we'd always hoped to have a chance to see together since that was one of the anime she liked (plus as a Buffy fan she liked the idea of Joss Whedon working on it too). as a general fan of sci-fi and Keanu Reeves she would have loved that live action Cowboy Bebop too and really, that's a title that would adapt well to an American audience. so I WANT to put in a vote for one of those two in her memory. (or Death Note, she loved Death Note, and it's a story that could adapt well too, especially when you figure in that Japan got the idea for shinigami from the Western concept of grim reapers.)

but then I loved the novel Lord of the Sands of Time and Tiger & Bunny is good and would adapt well (and seems like a good choice to actually get made without getting canned at this point). and then I'm a sucker for Petshop of Horrors so there's that too.

alas, to vote for me, or vote in memory of my beloved geek mom...
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
"Congratulations!"

Oh, Evangelion. WTF?

Loved the series. Didn't accept that ending. At all. Smile
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
On NGE - I've never watched the series, but decided to buy the Angelic Days manga (have yet to read that, working through a backlog right now). Am I right in saying that Angelic Days is an expansion of that dream? I think I saw it mentioned somewhere, but am unsure if that is really the case.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
Yes, it's an official spinoff based on the alternate universe we saw briefly in episode 26.

I don't agree that Eva's is an "all just a dream" moment. You could say it's an inversion of sorts (where the crazy stuff happens in the real world)... but still not really. The dialogue between Shinji and 3I/the other characters is basically:

- "What is this?"
- "A dream."
- "Then can I dream of being alone forever?"
- "Sure, but that might be pointless."
- "But being with other people sucks."
- "Maybe. Here, try another dream, where things don't suck."
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Slightly surprised none of the uses of genjutsu or tsukiyomi (particularly the filler arc they're on now) from Naruto made it on the list.

I guess because genjutsu never lasts that long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Yes, it's an official spinoff based on the alternate universe we saw briefly in episode 26.

Ah, nice. Will be my first taste of NGE...which is really dipping my toe into the franchise. Laughing

Should get around to checking out the anime...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
The Infinite Tsukuyomi in Naruto takes "it was all just a dream" to an extreme.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually pay decent money for an Angelic Days anime project, if for no other reason than I want to see how many times they can work the phrase "baloney pony" in. Very Happy
TheJaceX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
You mentioned GetBackers!
And you messed it up!
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
This was a really cool topic. I didn't know about a lot of these (Getbackers had a Matrix-like premise? I never made it that far in the franchise, but that's pretty cool!) I guess Paprika didn't count because the dreams were clearly delineated?

The poll was hard. I chose Death Note because I always had the impression that it could translate well. I'm not a big fan of the franchise and I might not even see a movie if they made one. I just want to see what Hollywood would do with it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
kamenriderjester wrote:
There is a typo in the gate keepers entry. It was BAN who has the power to give people illusions with his eyes. Ginji was the character who had electrical powers.

Thanks, I fixed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
A Cowboy Bebop live action? That's news for me!

I remember reading or hearing about Captain Tsubasa's "it wal all just a dream" that ended up makimg kids kill themselves. I don't know if those are true facts or just rumors, but that's the only "dream based" show that I remember.

And somehow I enjoyed the last two episodes of Evangelion, even more than the End of Evangelion. Although they didn't solve anything about the main story, to me it was a happy ending for Shinji's storyline and how he could manage to put an end to his fears.

Actually a cowboy bebop live action movie rumors have been going on for years now. and the project creators wanted keanu reeves to be spike. though cause of reasons unkown, its been scrapped. i say,WISE DECISION ON THEIR PART ON QUITTING WHILE THEIR AHEAD!

and your not the only one who prefered the ending for the TV version of evangelion instead of the movie's ending which was the worst of the bunch. and unfortunately the manga's ending is even more over there cause from the looks of it,it used ideas of both the ending of the TV series and the manga and mashed them into one very very bizzare ending. its no wonder they decided to green lit the New Century Evangelion series.

also I'm surprised that the samurai deeper kyo anime series didn't get a mention cause that series also made it felt like the whole thing was an illusion too due too the influence of those special weapons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
7 K-On!! episode 13 Late Summer Post Card.

The "it was all just a dream" ending was used constantly throughout the episode though that's not the reason I mention it. The final message of the episode was that Asuza's present life with her senior friends was the real dream, fleeting and insubstantial- with a musical cue seemingly borrowed from one of the great "it was all a dream" endings, SMB 2/Doki Doki Panic. School Rumble tried to pull off the same sentiment at the end of its first season... between two people who had little or no connection to reality in a series that had no reality to spare so it comes off as a pretentious comment directly from the writer; "Cherise your high school days, kiddies! They'll be gone before you know it!" K-On made it a lot more specific to one person. It's her dream that will be ending, a thought she carries to the ending.

Come to think on it, Heaven's Lost Property also used the concept constantly; Not just as a reset button like the first episode did but to show how little reality their world had. And yeah, spoiler[it was all just a dream]. Or something like that. "A dream is a wish the heart makes", maybe.

Anyway, there were a lot of wishes and dreams and hearts involved.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
One usage of the trope I particularly enjoyed was Tesagure! Bukatsumono Spin-off Purupurun Sharumu to Asobou. The final episode "reveals" after the credits sequence that the events of the season were all a dream Koharu had after reading the Purupurun manga... only the conceit that "making the whole season a dream lets us do whatever we want" was discussed at length in the first episode. Aoi offers Koharu the opportunity to try anything she wanted to do, since they can then say it was all just a dream. Koharu says she'd like to do a collaboration with another work, and they pull their newly-graduated seniors out of the hedge behind them and from off screen to join them. Cue the OP, and then cutting to the clubroom, where they discuss how they want to do the season, with the understanding that anything that happens in the following twelve episodes will be "all just a dream", accounting for such things as goddesses sharing a world with ordinary high school students and the rest of the nonsense they get up to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4