• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blood Blockade Battlefront

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Hmph! wrote:
Just so you know, I was quite taken aback back then when that certain reviewer shamelessly tried to promote her favourite anime as the best Spring anime.

But not so taken aback that you (or FredMaki) could be bothered to voice your opinion in the relevant thread at the time, instead of waiting 5 months to bring it up in a different certain reviewer's thread so you could feel vindicated. That's what Divineking meant by childish.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
Hmph! wrote:

Just so you know, I was quite taken aback back then when that certain reviewer shamelessly tried to promote her favourite anime as the best Spring anime.

Wait, are you really that chicken, you can't refer to me by name when you know I moderate this forum and am totally going to see this anyway? You're not even talking "behind my back," but you still can't bother to call me out directly? Come on, man. What even is that?

It's been said before, but that piece was one of our first experiments in more personally driven, snappy one-off editorials. I was tasked with writing about what made Blood Blockade Battlefront special, and helping to figure out the tone for these editorials going forward based on response to those early ones. (And response to that editorial was very positive, whiners about the label "best" aside.) I did not pick the title, and I immediately knew that weird pedants who don't know how to handle opinions unless they're prefaced with "IMO" every other sentence would come after me for that title, but anybody who works in editorial can tell you that "best" is a much stronger title than "favorite," so I agreed that we should just run it like that and I could eat dirt for it later.

But of course "best" is subjective. Anyone talking about the "best" anime is expressing an opinion that will be different from another person's opinion, with no empirical "right" answer between them, and anybody who reads media criticism should know that implicitly without any hand-holding. If you didn't know before, now you know. You can go forth and subpost no more.
Hmph!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
Despite the title implying that BBB is the best Spring anime because of the three stated reasons, you're just gonna handwave the title as a figure of speech and claim that the article was actually written to convey the uniqueness of BBB to the readers. The word 'best' was there because it might give stronger impression to the readers.

Way to go to intentionally misled the readers. By the time readers finished reading the article, what's on their mind is not "Oh, so what setting BBB apart from other Spring animes are its coolness, cuteness, and cleverness!", but "Oh, so BBB is the pinnacle of Spring animes because it's cool, cute, and clever!" Rolling Eyes
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
...It's not that deep, oh my God. The article was for people who haven't necessarily watched Kekkai Sensen so they would know what the hype was about, thus might watch it. Plus, they've been doing it with the "hit" of the season once in a while, people like to complain that they've been clickbaited and that apparently ANN is brainwashing our...anime opinions.

Anyways, I have mostly agreed to the weekly reviews; I've got myself accustomed to heavily episodic series when they're episodic in purpose, not because they're too lazy to tell a whole story. Some might say that there is literally no 'overaching' plot but that depends on what you think the plot was; to me was to dig out the weirdness of Hellsalem's Lot, notice how Leo got into Libra because he was chasing Sonic after he stole his camera, then ran into a gunshot, where also Zapp was, and he mistook him for another recruiter and took him in, everything happens within minutes and there are plenty of world-building to look at in just the early minutes.

Basically, Hellsalem's Lot as a place and as a concept has been the main character in here, and sometimes leaves space for other characters to shine. You can notice this as how you basically are told many special things that go around in this city, like how police works, how criminal organization works, how the otherworldy demons are mixed up in human culture, and I just could go on and on. Black and White (by extension the Blood Breeds) are just one of the deepest pits of it: how it was created, and who we're really talking about when we say demons, we mean literally biblical demons, and I loved the whole concept of it, as the greatest demon did not want to rule the world, he wanted the last thing he couldn't ever have for being immortal: death, and Leo actually beat his butt because he didn't get to die just yet, giving him more frustration to go.

This is why I don't think of Kekkai Sensen as I do with most fiction, since its purpose is different from the get-go. Normally, I'd say that the storyline is all-over the place and that characters are underdeveloped, but you don't always have to develop them, sometimes showing them how they are is good enough, sometimes the character doesn't grow, instead, it grows on you by being themselves. I do agree some characters are left unused in comparison to others and it just leaves you hanging, sadly (I just want a Chain episode, okay?).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmph! wrote:
The word 'best' was there because it might give stronger impression to the readers.

Way to go to intentionally misled the readers. By the time readers finished reading the article, what's on their mind is not "Oh, so what setting BBB apart from other Spring animes are its coolness, cuteness, and cleverness!", but "Oh, so BBB is the pinnacle of Spring animes because it's cool, cute, and clever!" Rolling Eyes

Well obviously you were not taken in by this nefarious deception. Are you saying you're smarter and more savvy than the rest of us? Or just those of us poor misled souls who liked the series as much as Hope did?
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:41 am Reply with quote
What the hell? Both Nick and Hope wrote astute reviews based upon their opinions, and they made my experience richer for doing so. The reviews aren't meant to describe your views but theirs, so take from them what you will, maybe discuss the finer points, and move on. But being mad that their opinions didn't match yours and that they had the gall to present them? Incredibly childish.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I loved BBB, in fact the episodic reviews that Hope wrote are what finally got me to make an account for ANN in the first place, so I could join the discussion! (And then I lost track of when the finale was going to air in English, and by the time I had checked back the conversation was done with. But I digress. Razz)

I thought the ending wasn't amazing, but it wasn't disappointing either. On the whole, BBB was great, maybe top 10 maybe not, but definitely something I am grateful for. The ending was fantastic (drunk dancing! wooo!), Klaus von Reinherz is my favorite ape man even over Gorilla Grodd over on the Flash TV show (and what a name!), and I want, I NEED more Chain Sumeragi. Also Zapp Renfro, her favorite victim. Oh, and Aligula, who is just adorable and so happy even when she is trashing the city in pursuit of her horrifically maimed boo/victim(s). And definitely Blitz T Abrams, the luckiest bad luck charm in the world and a man hilarious in his monomaniacal disregard for Leo's wellbeing.

Look, I love the characters in this show, that's what I'm saying. On paper they are the biggest bunch of not-so-nice-people in anime this side of Elfen Lied (except for Klaus, he's a Teddy BAMF), but in execution they are so funny or charming or just plain happy in their assholishness that it wraps around to being awesome.

Thanks for the review, thanks Hope for the original weekly reviews, and here's to hoping for a new season (with 150% more werewolf)!

In closing, I want a Mach Monkey.

edit-I meant to say the ENDING was awesome, not the op. The op was fine, but I loved seeing Libra strut their drunk stuff.

Last edited by steelmirror on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
dackquiri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Hope's enthusiasm was entirely valid, and I think is part of the reason why Nick's capping this off with "the highs make it an easily recommendable show". There's a difference between a B+ show that was just consistently a B+ show, and a B+ show that merely fumbled its A+ ambitions. (I'd probably personally put it more at an A- myself, and I don't think I'd ding the dub.)

I mean, generally, any criticism/praise of anything is valid, but with this show especially, it seems to be primed to be incredibly subjective. The pro's are dizzying, but I've seen people be immune to the charms of the style, pacing, characters and world-building, so I have to wonder if Hope and I might just occupy a very narrow niche. And the cons are the sort that don't feel like dealbreakers to me, but I'd all the same have a hard time blaming someone for taking issue with them. I don't disagree with Nick here about much but the humor, but I still shoot people the link to Hope's "Why You Should Be Watching" piece and stand behind it 110%.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Nick wrote:
BBB's last episode is long, dull, and archetypal

I agree! This review nailed it, BBB is a mixed bag. I love Rie Matsumoto, Kyousogiga is a gem. She's a brilliant director who combines visuals and music in extremely inventive ways to set a scene. The art, animation and pacing were all excellent. The character writing, or rather, the characters the anime team chose to focus on, and anime-original melodrama, OTOH, were not balanced with the off-the-wall fun of everything else. Unpopular opinion here: I found Klaus boring. He definitely didn't need two episodes. Meanwhile, most of Libra barring Leo and Zapp were left out in the cold.

The music was especially beautiful and well chosen. I preferred the ED (and some of the insert songs) to the OP, but these lyrics from "Hello, World!":

willag wrote:

Surrounded by a world painted with colors I chose,
I wonder where the meaning is in wounds I cannot choose.
Thinking I’m the only hero, constantly standing on stage
In the center of the world until it’s over.

Are incredible!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3