• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New ANN Launches in a Few Hours!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote
I've got to agree with everyone that has mentioned how hard it is to read comments in "my anime". Either the background or the text color (or both) need to be changed to provide more contrast.

In the mean time, highlighting the text does make it easier to read, but it's a bit of a pain and really shouldn't be necessary.

Everything else looks pretty good. Most of the other stuff I was initially bothered by is probably just a matter of getting used to something new.
adonais

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:11 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Comments of My Anime is now in light grey on a light blue background, making it very difficult to read. Black text is still the most readable.

Looks more like grey on grey on my screen, but anyway. I actually prefer a low contrast, it's easier on the eyes, but this might be just a tad too low. So maybe you could reduce the brightness of the My Anime comments font by another 10-20% or so and it should be good, no? Looks good in Safari in any case though Smile
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:04 am Reply with quote
Talk about a quick response. I was just working on some comments in "my anime' and when I saved them I saw that the text has been made black now. It's much easier to read, so thank you for the change.

The text does seem a bit blurry to me, however. Of course it may have something to do with the fact that I am goofing around on ANN at 3 in the morning instead of sleeping like I should be, but looking at "my anime" in the old site design the text is clear. It seems like a different font is being used throughout the site, and in most cases I am finding it to be an improvement, but with the very small text used in the "my anime" comments perhaps it is not working so well.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:11 am Reply with quote
Is the 'My collection' a new feature??
I cant say i remember it being there in the old forums.

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quote
DaZ616 wrote:
Is the 'My collection' a new feature??
I can't say i remember it being there in the old forums.

No, it's not. It has been a part of My Anime for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:41 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Talk about a quick response. I was just working on some comments in "my anime' and when I saved them I saw that the text has been made black now. It's much easier to read, so thank you for the change.

I'm assuming since they want to get have it ready today, they are taking care of anything they can now, within reason. I see they also corrected some of the glitches in the reviews section as well.

I also noticed what looks like blurriness with the small font in my anime section and I think that is just the font itself, it is still readable so I did change at least my seen all back to small font.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:48 am Reply with quote
Awsome, I know the goal of this isn't to gather opinions on the asthetics of the new site, but it does look good so far. My only problem is with the top, no bugs, but it just looks dull.

Maybe it's all ready been adressed, but that's my only problem.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:59 am Reply with quote
I know you guys don't take care of the banner ads, but this one might be distorted due to being stretched by the new layout.

I though I'd bring it up in case it is caused by stretching in the layout, although the Roberts anime corner store and hobby Japan banners are much smaller and they don't get stretched so it might just be a bad ad; this is the only one that looks distorted.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
Home page looks great; very clear & uncluttered, the dated news is a bonus, & the tabs are a nice addition. The top header does seem a little blank though.

The smaller font size & decrease(?) in line spacing in the forum threads & in the comments section of the My Anime lists will take some getting used to though. On my 15" screen laptop, the text looks very small (had to squint to be able to read the longer posts), & can seem quite cluttered-looking, so I've had to zoom in on the pages, something that I've never had to do before on this site (or any other that I can re-call). Text in bold no longer stands out as much as it used to either.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
Aww, i miss the Tab on the left-hand side with the News & Views, Encyclopedia, etc.

That was convenient. Now it's at the top of the screen! The left side looks blank...

Here's a cool shortcut... when you're at the bottom of the page, press "e" on your keyboard Wink

That works! It's a really nice layout, basically because it looks more fresh and cleaner; more modern I think.
The first thing noticed is definitely the AnimeNewsNetwork in the top left.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Southcross

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
running Firefox here, 1.5, the tab shortcuts aren't working properly for me. when I hit e for Encylopedia or f/v/m the tab switches then almost immediately switches back to News.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Here's a cool shortcut... when you're at the bottom of the page, press "e" on your keyboard Wink

Pressing "i" does the same thing, at least on my Mac.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Pressing "i" does the same thing, at least on my Mac.

I think Dan42 was referring to the tabs at the top of each page. He could have very well said any of these letters: "N" for News, 'V' for Views, 'E' for encyclopedia, 'F' for Forum, and 'M' for My ANN, as they all direct you to the tabs at the top of the page.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Whoa that's awesome! (But what happened to Jadress?)

Anyway, I like the cleaner layout. I do see some room for improvement in the "Forum" section. Not to be too picky, but could we please have a bigger font? It's a tad too small for my liking, and slightly larger text shouldn't take up that much more room.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Our poor new web-server can't handle Ruby on Rails. We're doing some optimizing and moving the databases onto another server, so the launch is delayed by about 24 hours hopefully.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9