• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Team's Kōtetsujō no Kabaneri Anime Trailers Reveal Premise, April Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Given that AoT s2 is supposed to air sometime in 2016, it seems a little odd to me that they are doing a production this similar, with all of these same people right now. I would have thought they would be busy with AoT.

Anyway, while it would be nice if they didn't make it feel this similar to AoT, it still looks interesting, and the production values seem pretty good. Hoping for the best. And I'll definitely check it out, at the very least.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I was chuckling after reading the synopsis. Will the titan sheep see through the rouse? Will the show just copy/paste the story (dare we say we find someone with unexplainably rushed zombie steel heart powers lol)? Or will this actually be better than Attack BS Titan? Same Wit Time, same Wit cashgrab, rehash, BS channel!
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
Wow. 2 Trailers into the show (about 3 minutes worth of content, likely unchronological), and we already have a hater. Such is life in anything slightly hyped. Wonder what the other +-286, or maybe even 572 minutes are going to be like?

I don't see much hate in your quoted post. Indeed it's more or less an impression prediction based on previous works which is entirely valid. And since recent mainstream anime rarely had characters that evolved beyond their stereotypes, or coherent and sophisticated stories, I don't think it is inappropriate for a critical watcher to have negative rather than positive expectations.

(Indeed both mindless hype and especially mindless hate are annoying, to say the least, but I see neither in Alabaster Spectrum's post. A snarky remark or two and a pessimistic attitude don't equal hate.)
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Everyone keeps pointing to it as Attack on Titan v.2.0, when this looks more like a cross between that and Araki's Highschool of the Dead spoiler[(minus the crazy fanservice)]. Between this, its feudal era Japan influences (a la Kurozuka?), Sawano (returning for his third collaboration), and the tapping of Okouchi, whose Code Geass he was clearly inspired by with GUILTY CROWN, I'd say KnK looks more like "Araki's Greatest Hits". If that actually rings true with the show, it'll be interesting to see how he'll invoke some DEATH NOTE… Laughing

Still, it looks very, very sweet, perhaps why it felt like the series was delayed compared to the other ones it was announced with. I never really got interested with AoT, and GC, despite its exceptional music, was horrible (which facilitated the creation of KnK), but I have been a big fan of Araki and his style. I have found that works suffer if they lack a strong script, so hopefully Okouchi will come through big. KnK looks derivative, but so did Iron-Blooded Orphans and that has turned out to be a great show. Araki also said that he knew what he wanted to do in GC's wake, so I'll give him the benefit of a doubt.

Now onto what should have been the biggest news item of the article: Haruhiko Mikimoto is actually doing another anime!!!! I was just thinking about what he has been up to, too! His style pairs very well with Araki/WIT STUDIO's sketch line-style and it will be an absolute treat to watch his designs again (and in sharp HD for the first time (not including remastered re-releases)), no less).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
>sees a topic of this on /a/
>lots of responses to it in a short amount of time

Hmm, I wonder what this is about.

>checks out the article here
>mostly made by the same folks that made Attack on Titan
>also Okouchi

Okay, this makes me cautious considering the last thing he played a major part in writing. I don't know, the anime itself looks like Dai Shogun with trains. I wonder what this has going for it-

>Samurai Flamenco is back

Oh neat! Not much else to say other than aside from Wonder Momo I haven't seen anything WIT studios has made, should I feel bad? Laughing
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Lol seriously thought it was like a cross over of AoT but nope. Looks awesome!
Dayblack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
This is quite possibly the closest that we're going to get to an animated version of the Before the Fall SnK novel anytime soon. And that's exciting.

The protagonist being a mechanic is going to provide a nice change of pace for this series, and I'm eager to find out more about this steampunk setting. Also those train designs are stunningly gorgeous. I hope that all the mechanical designs in the series are like this. I'd be so totally sold on it by those alone.

Also, getting Sawano on board for this one is interesting. His recent work with Seven Deadly Sins was a nice return to form from him (Aldnoah, while good, wasn't the greatness that I have come to expect from him, same with Kill la Kill's) and so I hope that this continues that trend.

Kikaioh wrote:
Wow, those are really old-school looking character designs. Combine that with Studio Wit, and it's definitely something I'd look forward to.

The old school character designs are making a glorious comeback. If there's anything that Parasyte, Actually I am, and Ushio & Tora have brought for anime this year, it's the fact that older anime character designs are still viable! I too am looking forward to what they're going to do with it!

In Parasyte they never respected manga designs, as little as the personalities of the characters.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Are you serious? Are you actually serious? Is this real? Holy crap, I'm legitimately laughing. I thought this was a joke when the trailer started, but this is seriously real. I guess we're going with this, then. This is the most cut and paste AoT ripoff I've yet seen. The visuals are gorgeous, and Hiroyuki Sawano has yet to disappoint me, but wow, this is the most shameless act of stealing from yourselves I've seen in anime to date. Just... what were they thinking? Honestly, I'm not even mad; I'm actually impressed at how ridiculously ballsy and shameless this is; no sarcasm at all. You do you, WIT Studio. I'm so watching this.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Well Studio WIT, if you can't think of anything else then you might as well go back to what worked. How many times will you be able to do that until the schtick gets old, I wonder? Looks neat, I couldn't get into AoT but hope this does well for WIT. It can't be any worse than Gainax trying to draw from the same well (Mahoromatic) again when they made This Ugly Yet Beautiful World.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Are you serious? Are you actually serious? Is this real? Holy crap, I'm legitimately laughing. I thought this was a joke when the trailer started, but this is seriously real. I guess we're going with this, then. This is the most cut and paste AoT ripoff I've yet seen. The visuals are gorgeous, and Hiroyuki Sawano has yet to disappoint me, but wow, this is the most shameless act of stealing from yourselves I've seen in anime to date. Just... what were they thinking? Honestly, I'm not even mad; I'm actually impressed at how ridiculously ballsy and shameless this is; no sarcasm at all. You do you, WIT Studio. I'm so watching this.

Laughing In a slightly less critical way, this is pretty much exactly what my initial response was.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

To be fair though, the only thing that this show seems to have stolen from AoT is the concept of human trapped in a cage-like world surrounded by zombies. The protagonist is similar to AoT protagonist in terms of their hot-headness, and the show will be focusing on action and human being's fear of extinction. These are the only similarities I see at this point. I don't think the rest of the show will be anything similar to AoT, in fact it might be more similar to Code Geass than AoT because of the writer. I think there is still hope that this show will be something new and fresh.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
nemuyoake wrote:
Characters' lines are nearly the same as AoT... Laughing

You mean the character voices? The Ara-Sawa team is never complete without the maddening voice of Yuki Kaji. These guys literally work together every time when they are trying to make an anime that is going to be hyped to the heaven.

No, I mean what they're saying in Japanese.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

To be fair though, the only thing that this show seems to have stolen from AoT is the concept of human trapped in a cage-like world surrounded by zombies. The protagonist is similar to AoT protagonist in terms of their hot-headness, and the show will be focusing on action and human being's fear of extinction. These are the only similarities I see at this point. I don't think the rest of the show will be anything similar to AoT, in fact it might be more similar to Code Geass than AoT because of the writer. I think there is still hope that this show will be something new and fresh.

It's also directed by Tetsuo Araki, has music by Hiroyuki Sawano, they use steam-powered weapons to fight the monsters and if the trailer and synopsis are any indication, the monsters can only be killed by targeting a specific area of the body (the nape of the neck for the Titans, the special steel heart for the zombies). There are shots in this trailer that are almost identical to shots from AoT. Combined with the elements you highlighted (which are centrally-important elements), so far, there are more similarities than differences. Also, as admittedly badass as they look, the zombies are a lot more generic so far compared to the Titans.
All that said, I'm still planning on watching the shit out of this show.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
nemuyoake wrote:
Characters' lines are nearly the same as AoT... Laughing

You mean the character voices? The Ara-Sawa team is never complete without the maddening voice of Yuki Kaji. These guys literally work together every time when they are trying to make an anime that is going to be hyped to the heaven.

Just like Christopher Nolan's films! Especially considering Sawano is often compared as the Zimmer of anime.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Wow, those are really old-school looking character designs.

I know! They're lovely! Very Happy

Just what you would expect from the man who did the designs for Gunbuster and SDF Macross. I know some people can't stand 80s/90s (ish) designs but I love how each character has a distinguishable face and "smaller" eyes. Yukina and Sukari, in particular, look robust and quite attractive.

The premise sounds fine and the emphasis on AOT inspiration is okay so long as Kabaneri brings something memorable to the table.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4