• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Monster Girl Safari

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Monster Musume much more than I expected. Now all I need to really make me happy is a boy-to-monster girl gender bender title.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
Will there ever be any Monster Boys/Men in the future at some point???

One Piece has Fishmen (along with female Merfolk), the Tontatta and the Mink if they count? Not sure why they wouldn't. Pretty sure there are more races/species Oda hasn't revealed yet as well. In a standalone series I haven't seen many unless you wanna go down the ero route (highly recommended).

residentgrigo wrote:
Someone should have license Nana to Kaoru for example (also trash)

Your comments always make for a good laugh, cheers.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
I read the first six volumes of Monster Musume and enjoyed it but then it felt kind of "samey". I enjoyed the Actually, I Am Anime. Most of the Manga fans I ran into on 4chan hated it due to what was felt to be an over emphasis on romance poor animation and miscast Seiyuu.

Although I enjoyed Aya Uchida as Shiho partialy becuese the role she has been most known for was Kotori Minami from Love Live. Whie Centaur's Life was a fun read after six volumes I found it boring and had a lot of the problems I had with series like Ariea where it feels like nothing happened.
pikahyper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
Will there ever be any Monster Boys/Men in the future at some point???

Merman in My Tub
UltimateWeeaboo36

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
Its funny, when we were kids we all were afraid of the monsters under our beds. Now we all just want monsters IN OUR BEDS.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
I very much appreciate everyone helping me with the whole "Monster Men" dilemma.

For those who mentioned titles like The Demon Prince of Momochi House Kamisama Kiss, and The Demon Prince of Momochi House, I've never watched or read them, but I've seen the MCs. Demons with animal ears hardly screams monster.

If their bodies were covered in fur, hair, scales, mucus, feathers, had a tail, horns, wings THAT'S what I'm looking for. Basically what Monster Musume is, but with guys. I want the men/boys to resemble the full blown animalistic/monsterization traits.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
As person who's a big fan of stuff like this.

Yeah I've been reading Monster Musume religiously when I can. I really need to start watching the series when I can. I'm also reading his other work, 12 Beasts, which is a fun read but not as insane as MM. Now, considering there is a small interest I'm surprised that no adult studio has decided to animated some of the ero games that revolve around this genre.

I'm really surprised that MM is a top read. I often ask myself how many girls can he take in that house?

As well as A Centaur's Life. Which I find is an interesting take on the "slice of life" genre despite some of the school tropes. Plus, it takes some actual historical references, giving them a twist to create this new world, filled with inter-species relations. Thus, exploring areas revolving around racism, tolerance, deconstruction, capitalism, corporatism, as well as system of beliefs (ie...-religion, supernatural, science, and atheism). But it is a fun read. I would love to see this animated, I mean how hard is animated horse butt?

I started reading Hitomi's Monster Nurse Infirmary. When they said my papa bear, I didn't think they meant that literally.

But yeah the genre is nothing new, but...it's a welcome change from the normal mainstream stuff. I would love to see more of this kind of shows. It would be cool if these shows would spawn a revival of some the older works, by Johji Manabe.

I find that works like this usually interest a small subgroup. We have furry fans that like this stuff and of course there is a furry community in Japan as well. I've hung in their circles and still know people, who also have friendships to Japanese furry fans. But what I do notice that not everyone who's in anime, is necessarily into furry fandom. But yet they're aren't entirely exclusive to one another. But they are different as a fan group.
Nojay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
A manga and anime that features lots of Monster Girls is Gate. The manga depicts a lot more of them than the anime, probably since they're not the main focus of the story but some important secondary characters are hybrids (like Persia the cat-maid and the warrior bunny girls etc.) There are lamias, harpies etc. too.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest: I understand that different strokes for different folks, but monstergirls are completely baffling to me. I do not find them attractive in the slightest, and their sudden explosion in popularity has me completely blindsided. I do not get the hype, at all. Their fans are insufferable at times and they constantly derail /tg/ threads into talking about their thinly-veiled fetish. Like I wouldn't even care much if not for the fact that they're stupid popular out of what seems to be nowhere. I must be missing something. I have to be.

I'm not a very big fan of how they are basically just a sexual fetish trying to be taken seriously. The original MG stuff that got popular was a blatant hentai world where every MG was obsessed with getting sex from milquetoast men. Once you remove the sexualization from them, they just...fall apart at the seams. And what is sexually attractive about a being that's only half-human? I love snakes man, but I don't want to fap to them.

I'm not opposed to freakishly demihuman beings in fantasy and sci-fi, but monstergirls just add an unnecessary icing of anime sexualization and cheesecake. It's pure "magical realm", as us fa/tg/uys call it. It's no longer "hey man, let's have some half-snake people because that's freaky and fantastical!" it's now "let's have half-snake bitches (but no men, that would be GAY) 'cause it makes me horny".

And if you, like me, don't find monstergirls to be sexually appealing in any way, they just fall flat on their face. What happened to girls with two arms and two legs like normal goddamned human beings...

What makes it even more baffling is that monstergirl fans are now insisting that time-honored anime tropes like Kitsune, Tengu, Succubi, (basically any being which is mostly human with some nonhuman parts tastefully added) are monstergirls. No, they're not. Don't do this shit to me, please.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I'll be honest: I understand that different strokes for different folks, but monstergirls are completely baffling to me. I do not find them attractive in the slightest, and their sudden explosion in popularity has me completely blindsided. I do not get the hype, at all. Their fans are insufferable at times and they constantly derail /tg/ threads into talking about their thinly-veiled fetish. Like I wouldn't even care much if not for the fact that they're stupid popular out of what seems to be nowhere. I must be missing something. I have to be.

As you said, it's simply "different strokes for different folks" and one more example in the lesson that "there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy," as Shakespeare so eloquently put it. The world will always be stranger than we can anticipate. I should know as I'm quite strange by even strange standards. And the fact that some people are attracted to non-humans is no new idea to me. Actually, I'm quite pleased as this monster girl fondness seems to be an indication that people are willing to entertain new ideas FAR beyond the standard male/female, human/human relationship, which I think is a very good thing. Eventually, if advanced aliens exist and we come into contact with them, there will no doubt be romance and interbreeding between vastly different peoples..
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I don't see how the monster girl fetish is all that different than the catgirl/foxgirl/whatever tropes that have been featured in anime/manga for decades. It's just that instead of a pair of cute fuzzy ears, some of the girls have...a horse's lower body. It's really just a matter of degrees in the end: like the old meme image said, 10% cat makes it cute, 80% makes it furry, and 100% makes you a sick monster. Laughing I mean personally, I find these sorts of monster girls far more appealing than most aspects of furry fandom, but again, different strokes and all.

(Also sexualizing these sorts of creatures is hardly a new phenomenon. Greek mythology was playing fast-and-loose with half-human creatures millennia ago.)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
There's a pretty large difference. Kemonomimi, as well as beings like vampires, succubi, angels, etc. are a humans with a tiny seasoning of nonhuman parts. Besides those, they are basically humans in every respect. Monstergirls are nearly as much nonhuman as they are human.

In fact, I'd say that furries are less monstrous than monstergirls. Anthromorphs are still humanoid, with the bipedal "two arms, two legs" body style. Monstergirls are never like this. I actually enjoy a minority of Japanese Kemono (western furry is NOPE unless it's heavily-inspired by Kemono).

Like man, I like snakes. I think tarantulas are cool (I really do! Spiders can go to hell though). [Edit]: snipped trolling.

What I find worrying is the hyperbole of "monster(girl/boy)", where it's now including any kind of non-human, including non-monstrous beings like vampires, kitsune, angel/demons, etc. That is something I will not stand for in the slightest. Not just because it will be a cold day in hell before I willingly group myself with horse and snakefuckers but also because monstergirls are an ero trope at their core, and any being considered to be one gets turned into a hyper-sexualized travesty of itself. Monstergirls have ruined the ability of fantasy to contain monstrous beings. [Edit]: snipped more trolling. Sigh.

[Edit]: criticise the trope, but don't troll other people. Errinundra.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
Personally, I blame the Greeks. They're not the first people who combined animals with humans but I'm fairly certain that they're the first ones who made a religion out of how it was physically done.

Still, they're not horse and snakes, they're centaurs and lamiias; You're ignoring the whole in favor of the parts. What's the best way to put it? "No kinds of love are better than others." which is a more poetic way of saying "whatever floats your boat."

They are exceptions and they're all legal in nature but between two consenting adults, whatever love forms is, that's love. The main theme of Monster Musume is getting over that proverbial hump in order to, well, you know. Book 7 is especially focused on it, from the spoiler[orgy pit] to the spoiler[teaser becoming the stud] to strangest of all, spoiler[monogamy].

"I didn't say it was impossible, I just said it wasn't easy."

I've been curious about this idea- long before the internet- ever since I read the real Greek myth about the minotaur when I was 8- which got diagramed quite accurately in the Melody of Oblivion anime which had monsters and girls, just not combined. Again, it's not impossible, just not easy.

See, now that's "sick"- but as a divine punishment, that was the point, I guess. This is just love between rational, thinking beings in comparison.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Anyway, I soon will be collecting a 2nd monster girl series. And, that's because I'm going to be buying My Girlfriend is a T-Rex. I made the decision to buy the series when it was announced, as it sounds so ridiculous.

Oh man; that's getting licensed?! I've only heard rumors about that legend!

Monster Musume was a surprise to me. I actually dislike anime that rely on ecchi and harem elements, but what attracted me to Musume was its complete and utter absurdity. Every cliche or trope played straight in other series was ramped up to eleven, with the constant threat of death by asphyxiation, drowning in slime, etc., and all the weird and wacky ideas introduced in that world. By the end, i was honestly hoping for a little more character depth and writing, since i was starting to get invested in Miia, Rachnera and the others.

I enjoyed Actually, I Am... as well, until the ending. The show was cute at times, and verey funny at others, but its ending was such a cowardly, inconclusive and anticlimactic non-ending I felt like i had wasted my time. I might pick up the manga if it becomes available digitally; I feel like i'd enjoy the source material more.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Personally, I blame the Greeks. They're not the first people who combined animals with humans but I'm fairly certain that they're the first ones who made a religion out of how it was physically done.

Did they precede the ancient Egyptians in doing that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4