• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Watches Late Night Anime in Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
bigivel wrote:
Though it is, it is totally aimed at fans of Slam Dunk(The author is a great fan and that is the reason why he decided to do a manga about basket!).

So, because creator is a fan of Slam Dunk it means that Kuroko targets the same audience?
Quote:
How is it just semantics when we using 2 different verbs that means 2 different things?

Okay, you're not arguing semantics (still, for some reason you're fixated on words which have been used during discussion). But can you back up any of your claims with statistical evidence? It would be nice to see some data on who actually buys stuff like Kuroko's Basketball.

You seem a deaf person, in this case blind. Did you read what I wrote?

Target Audience doesn't have nothing to do with who buy a series! How showing who buys the series will proof my point, when my point is that target audience doesn't mean that?

Do you see what a ridiculous thing you're asking me? "Show me that target audience isn't the same as the series appeal, by showing data that indicates who the series appeal to"

Go read the author interviews, and you will see what is the reason why he wrote Kuroko no Basket. Also I don't see what Kuroko no Basket does so different from Slam Dunk to the point that you think it targets a different audience.
The only big difference between the two is that one has super powers and a structure of battle(with the Generation of Miracles being level Bosses that they have to gradually defeat and all), but that is certainly something not made to target girls.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Target Audience doesn't have nothing to do with who buy a series! How showing who buys the series will proof my point, when my point is that target audience doesn't mean that?

So, you think target audience has nothing to do with target market? Ok.

Quote:
Do you see what a ridiculous thing you're asking me? "Show me that target audience isn't the same as the series appeal, by showing data that indicates who the series appeal to"

Yeah, sorry about that, I actually thought you can do something else besides rhetoric.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
bigivel wrote:

Also somebody not wanting to watch a show because it is shoujo is the same as someone not wanting to watch another show because is sport. They Simply don't like, for whichever reason, the category.
I think it's a shitty reason. I mean, you can get some action packed shoujo and all. For me, that's more like saying you don't want to play a game because it has the ESRB tag "For Everyone".

Even worse when those people who doesn't watch shoujo watch shonen which focuses largely on romance... Ugh.

Moroboshi-san wrote:
Well, if someone puts homos in my pantsu-and-boobs-show I quite deliberately won't buy it.
For the number of girls on girls action in those show, there must be not quite a lot you buy.

And let me tell ya, alot of these shows have that stuff for some reason.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Unlike the adult male otaku audience which is stagnating, the female otaku audience, and in particular fujoshi is growing rapidly. So it's not surprising that companies will target this growing market.

Really? Are the male otaku not buying as much stuff as before or is it not getting enough fresh new blood in the fandom?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Really? Are the male otaku not buying as much stuff as before or is it not getting enough fresh new blood in the fandom?
No of course not, but I think Scruffy is operating under the misconception sports series are only watched by women which is obviously not the case. That's been a trend for decades ever since Slam Dunk in Prince of Tennis which were shounen series but extremely popular with women. There's literally no difference between Kuroko and Slam Dunk as it's been mentioned.

Fujoshi have been around forever but they're pretty new in Western audiences. Most shows with the heavy fujoshi audience were never released in America until around Hetalia. Now thanks to streaming sites when stuff like Kuroko or Omatsusan pop up it's more noticeable compared to the 90s and 00s where Rintama Nantaro, Prince of Tennis, and a bunch of other anime were unheard of by American audiences. It might also be why people mistakenly think the series are aimed at women exclusively.

To use examples Americans might be more familiar with it would be like saying Naruto and Yu-Gi-Oh are aimed at women because of the massive fujoshi audience. No one would logically say guys don't watch those shows do they?

-Stuart Smith
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Unlike the adult male otaku audience which is stagnating, the female otaku audience, and in particular fujoshi is growing rapidly. So it's not surprising that companies will target this growing market.

Pretty much the adult male otaku market is stable. Not growing nor diminishing. The companies know that is the most stable audience that gives the most revenue.

But they know that are other markets out there specially the adult female fujoshi.
That's why they use bishounen characters and female fanservice in sport anime like Free and Kuroko's Basketball that female fujoshi like. Than that anime can be liked by the sport anime fans and female fujoshi.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
As others have said, people buying the series isn't necessarily the target audience. Things like Attack on Titan, while aimed towards boys, is popular with girls as well. To use an example from Western media, stuff airing on the CW like The Vampire Diaries is aimed more towards girls yet also appeals to boys as well.

The point is, no one gets the right to say "that audience isn't the target audience" for the reason that the target audience aren't always the ones buying it. The target audience will always be the target audience, but if another audience happens to find something they like from it then great. If that audience happens to be more prominent across the fanbase than the target audience then great. It doesn't mean that they then become the target audience.

Of course, the author can change the target audience, bit while they are published in magazines aimed towards girls or boys the target audience remains the same.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
There's also the occasional time when a series moves to or has adaptations in a different demographic. Trinity Blood is technically both shojo and seinen, Saiyuki went from shonen to josei, all the Cowboy Bebop manga were shojo despite the anime (probably) being seinen...

I think what the article is saying though is that the concept of strict gender demographics is starting to become very dated.

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

No of course not, but I think Scruffy is operating under the misconception sports series are only watched by women which is obviously not the case. That's been a trend for decades ever since Slam Dunk in Prince of Tennis which were shounen series but extremely popular with women. There's literally no difference between Kuroko and Slam Dunk as it's been mentioned.

Fujoshi have been around forever but they're pretty new in Western audiences. Most shows with the heavy fujoshi audience were never released in America until around Hetalia. Now thanks to streaming sites when stuff like Kuroko or Omatsusan pop up it's more noticeable compared to the 90s and 00s where Rintama Nantaro, Prince of Tennis, and a bunch of other anime were unheard of by American audiences. It might also be why people mistakenly think the series are aimed at women exclusively.

No one here is in particular talking about the western market. We're talking about trends in Japan.

I did not use the phrase "only watched by women". I said TARGETED at women. For instance I'm a male and watched and enjoyed both seasons of Free!. Free! as a show was very definitely targeted at women and I am not the target audience. That does not mean I cannot enjoy watching the show.

It's pretty clear looking at sales over the last few years that the female okaku and fujoshi has been growing while the male audience has been static. The recent smash hit Osomatsu-san has been largely driven by female otaku. Like I mentioned before the best way to follow this is to look at the DVD to BluRay sales split on a show. Shows with a larger female fandom will have a higher percentage of DVD's in total sales.

Renasviel wrote:
The point is, no one gets the right to say "that audience isn't the target audience" for the reason that the target audience aren't always the ones buying it. The target audience will always be the target audience, but if another audience happens to find something they like from it then great. If that audience happens to be more prominent across the fanbase than the target audience then great. It doesn't mean that they then become the target audience.

Umm .. yes we can definitely say some group is the target! Publishers have to know this otherwise their promotional campaigns will fail!! Nothing wrong with enjoying a show if you are not the target demographic though Smile
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
From the looks of it, gender demographics are starting to become an outdated measure. For instance, despite being intended for girls, Sailor Moon attracted quite a noticeable following from the male demographic throughout much of its airing.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
It was a very unlikely surprise when I entered a store with a Love Live! merchandising event going on last year (in Nagoya) and upon entering, while I did see a few male otaku, the general majority (some buying erotic material, as the store sold doujin products as well) were older teen/working-age women, many in cosplay. First of all, the store is often littered with men and only the upper floors with the "fujoshi-esc" material had lots of women. So this was quite surprising to me.
It goes to show that you never know what to expect in terms of demographic, gender-wise or age-wise.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
You still can't say demographics is already outdated, when there are just certain genres men and women most won't touch with a ten foot pole. Barring Love Live and I think K-ON, has there been any "moe" series that became a hit with the fujoshi? Even better, a straight up non reverse harem series that is also a VN adaptation that got fujoshis railing over it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd wondered about that.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
You still can't say demographics is already outdated, when there are just certain genres men and women most won't touch with a ten foot pole. Barring Love Live and I think K-ON, has there been any "moe" series that became a hit with the fujoshi? Even better, a straight up non reverse harem series that is also a VN adaptation that got fujoshis railing over it.

Does Fate count? A ton of women/fujoshi/etc. have a thing for the male characters and my ex had a crush on Saber.
There are more women interested in male-targeted VNs (including eroge) than you might originally imagine, actually. Sometimes they have an interest in dressing up as characters or just like the art, but you'll definitely come across them if you go to an anime-related event in Japan. I went to a store in Osu with a lot of tapestries and artbooks and doujinshi and whatnot and there were lots of women working and shopping there. And let's not forget that some erotic manga targeted at men is drawn by women (though I can't say I know of men who draw erotic manga targeting women).
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
It's pretty clear looking at sales over the last few years that the female okaku and fujoshi has been growing while the male audience has been static. The recent smash hit Osomatsu-san has been largely driven by female otaku. Like I mentioned before the best way to follow this is to look at the DVD to BluRay sales split on a show. Shows with a larger female fandom will have a higher percentage of DVD's in total sales.

Do you have access to some kind of sales data which breaks down which gender buys how much of each show? Because as far as I know it doesn't exist and the closest thing we have are television ratings which are broken down into genders. I would be interested in knowing where you're getting this data from.

It's funny you mention Free because back when it was airing there was an argument over the Blu-ray and DVD sales, and how it was clearly a shounen aimed at men because it had way more BD sales and people got upset at the notion.

Though the studio behind Osomatsu-san said they were surprised at all the female fans for the show. That would seem to indicate they were not aiming the show at females to begin with. It is based off of shounen manga after all. Just because a bunch of women latched onto the show doesn't make them the target demographic.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5