• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist Director Reveals More Details About Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Quote:
Regarding the faithfulness of the adaptation, which has characters of non-Japanese ethnicity, the director said, "There will never be a scene in which a character says something that would identify him/her as Japanese."

I guess they wont use the Japanese honorific like "-san,-kun,-sama,-senpai"
or something like that

Quote:
Other cast members include:

Fumiyo Kohinata as General Hakuro
Ryuta Sato as Maes Hughes
Misako Renbutsu as Riza Hawkeye
Natsuna as Maria Ross
Natsuki Harada as Gracia Hughes
Yo Oizumi as Shou Tucker
Jun Kunimura as Doctor Marco
Yasuko Matsuyuki as Lust
Kanata Hongou as Envy
Shinji Uchiyama as Gluttony
Kenjiro Ishimaru as Father Cornello

Oh boy, dont tell me they are gonna make that infamous scene? Mad

mglittlerobin wrote:
Will it be worse than Dragon Ball Evolution? it's loking that way!

That's a horrible comparison, DBE was a Hollywood movie while FMA is not. At least please compare it with recently failed Japanese Live Action movie like Attack on Titan.

I mentioned DBe because it was an adaptation of a big anime property, not because it's a Hollywood movie. AOT didn't cross my mind because I never watched the live action movie ,I watched DBE though.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
They already said they were writing an original storyline, so they're not going to be trying to fit 27 volumes of manga into one movie. But the length and complexity of the FMA storyline and the great character development were the main draws for me so I don't think a 2 hour movie would have the same emotional impact.

I'm not really bothered by the Japanese cast thing though, though Amestrians are blonde and blue-eyed in the source material, for the purpose of the story they could have any set of physical characteristics so long as they look different from the Ishvalans since they're all fantasy races and countries anyway.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
If you ask me, the only good thing about any of this is that maybe, just maybe, Aniplex will rerelease the 2 series around the time this turd of a movie is in Japanese theaters!

Notice I said "good", not "great", because of course Aniplex will charge an arm and a leg (haha) for those re-releases! Laughing
Enturax

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
NoooooooOOOOOOOOOOO!!! If they took some non-asian actors for blonde characters with big eyes, then I would be fine, but this way it will feel as cringey as Terraformars or AoT.
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Still no word on Al? I only hope he's voiced by Kugimiya Rie if he's in the suit of armor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3