• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime's Fiercest Frenemies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
Error

Last edited by Gemnist on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
But the way [Suzaku] kept on switching back and forth between these personas for the sake of the plot during R2 made me lose faith in him as a character. And the Akito the Exiled OVAs make this worse by revealing his true intentions - to become the Knight of One, sure, but not to take over Japan, but to annihilate humanity in Euphemia's name (even Schneizel would be disgusted).

For the record, this is not an accurate description at all. Which makes that part of your interpretation essentially incorrect. We see just one new character in the Akito the Exiled OVAs who briefly pretends to psychoanalyze Suzaku, because he (Shin) sees some of himself in our infamous Japanese knight, but that doesn't mean he is right. The similarities between Shin and Suzaku are limited to murdering family members.

In fact, Shin is ultimately quite wrong. Suzaku was often self-destructive and definitely had the ability to commit murder, which he tried to escape from through his preachy and superficial idealism. That was all used as a cover to hide from the guilt he felt due to killing his own father, but he never literally wished to destroy the world or murder most of humanity. That was exclusively what Shin wanted, not Suzaku. It wouldn't be fair to confuse the two like that. I think you may have to rewatch that whole sequence again.

At the same time, I will point out that Suzaku is meant to be a living contradiction. The events of the end of Code Geass S1 had started to break him, but the process wasn't complete yet. It's not only "for the sake of plot" that he has trouble getting rid of his idealism and openly embracing the dark part of his personality. It's not easy to go from one extreme to the other. He still needed to fully snap. Which is why I think your claim that Suzaku "got worse" is technically true but almost besides the point. In the end, his resolution was surprisingly constructive though: Suzaku stopped running away from the past, accepted a new form of punishment and abandoned his self-destructive idealism. However, that wasn't based on "Euphie-Vengeance" at all. In fact, you could argue Suzaku adopted some of Lelouch's ideas in the process (and, vice versa, Lelouch gave some credit to the whole "changing Britannia from the inside" concept as part of his final plan, though in a very different sense than what Suzaku meant).

In essence, Shin was analyzing the whole situation, and for the most part, he was correct. For one, he was able to deduce that Julius was Zero AND that Lelouch was Zero by that one breakdown. And yes, Shin seeing himself in Suzaku is what causes him to make the comparison, that being "We both hate the world, and we wish to destroy it". But remember what Suzaku replied? He said "No, you're wrong, I'm-". In the main anime, this is always the response he gives when he knows he's wrong and is trying to make an excuse no one will believe, such as when he tries to explain his allegiance to either the Britannians (like with Nina) or with the Japanese (like with Tamaki). Suzaku can't respond because Shin is right.

As for Suzaku's breaking point, that was always meant to be the aforementioned death of Euphemia. Thanks to VV, Suzaku was supposed to give up his idealism and go full out murderer ("But now - it's hatred that's guiding me"). And for the rest of R1, he was consistent with this. But of course, there has to be a Season 2. This in turn led to his sudden plan to become the Knight of One, which in turn would give him the power/authority to do what he wanted. In fact, Akito actually remained very close to this darker persona, as such making him more relatable (as previously mentioned). But Sunrise, despite having gone very bleak places with this show, was unwilling to let Suzaku go to this persona in R2 because, apparently, Goro Taniguchi and the rest of the crew didn't believe in either of these two personas (which is why he isn't the main character), causing them to juggle between these personalities. And if the production team doesn't relate/understand a character they themselves created - I don't see how the audience can/should. The closest Suzaku got to becoming like Lelouch was after he nuked Tokyo. But he gave that up after Lelouch killed Charles, after which both of them accepted diplomacy - during the one-month skip (as seen in Turn 22.05).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, 500 words of description can only do so much. While they are the closest of friends right before becoming the worst of enemies, the actual journey there is a series of contentious growth spurts, and the reasons for their growing friendship are mostly wrapped up in their own ego problems. Their first meeting is a potentially fatal duel for Griffith's right to "own" Guts as a pawn, and there are points in their relationship where Guts genuinely hates and feels confused by Griffith's decisions, while Griffith never really gives Guts the satisfaction of calling him a friend (because that would make them equals). Before Griffith sells his soul for demonic power, right when it seems like he's about to take the throne, Guts up and leaves the mercenary band against his commander's wishes, because he'd rather go out and live his own life than continue serving under someone so obviously superior to him. Griffith doesn't see it that way, because he's started to feel like Guts is even stronger than him on the inside as well as the outside. If Griffith was a true friend to Guts, this wouldn't bother him, but because he put so much stock in his ability to control the guy, he completely freaks out when Guts decides to leave him, seeing it as a failing in what should be his perfect rise to kingdom.

So yeah, they have lots of love-hate issues even before the whole hellish blood-eclipse-feast thing happens.

Alright, after reading through all that, I can accept Guts and Griffiths as being frenemies, before becoming straight-up enemies. You can have some envy towards a friend, but if it goes too far, you enter frenemy territory, and if it goes too far beyond that, then you're not really friends at all, but rather just putting on a front while you look for a chance to stick in the shiv.

I've been meaning to see Berserk, but I keep hearing how brutal it is, and that it ends on a downer note: I can get enough of that from RL news to want that in an anime. Still, I expect I'll see it at some point.
GVentola

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Trigun is my favorite anime, and I enjoyed reading the section on Vash & Wolfwood. However, I must point out that the manga and anime are separate dimensions. At no point in the anime do we find out Wolfwood is really a teenager, so I do not think of anime Wolfwood as one.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
In essence, Shin was analyzing the whole situation, and for the most part, he was correct.

I disagree. It wasn't that difficult to deduce Lelouch's identity given his behavior (using a plan similar to Zero's) and especially considering that he and his sister would have been the subject of gossip. Those names would be relatively famous. Either way, that's very different from correctly interpreting Suzaku's personality. Suzaku doesn't hate the world. He did fail to come up with a good response to Shin's claims, because they were touching a sensitive subject, but it's a stretch to assume that means they're correct. There is some darkness inside Suzaku, to use Shin's phrasing, but not for the reasons he speculated about.

For that matter, I would point out that the death of Euphemia did not complete the entire process. Suzaku's immediate reaction was definitely more violent than what his formal idealism would allow and yes, he was "guided by hatred" during that moment, but he still couldn't actually kill Lelouch. In theory, that would have been the true breaking point in this specific context. In practice, even the "original plan" for episode 26, following directly after the cliffhanger, would have reinforced that Suzaku couldn't bring himself to murder Lelouch (and thus he'd get shot for his hesitation), which confirms he hadn't completely fallen yet. Not that different from what actually happened according to R2, since Suzaku ultimately captured Zero instead of murdering him. His rage was enough for him to "betray" Lelouch, but not to destroy his friend/enemy.

Suzaku's plan to become Knight of One was merely the result of him trying to go back to his ideals of changing Britannia from within. He still hadn't fully abandoned them, but Suzaku wasn't exactly the same. His methods were already shown to be vislby less heroic during early R2. Therefore, what you consider to be the staff "juggling between personalities" is more accurately described as Suzaku still having an inner conflict, which is entirely fitting. Your statement that the Code Geass production team "doesn't understand the character" is quite a preposterous claim. There are enough interviews with Goro Taniguchi and the rest that would contradict this assumption. Not to mention that Suzaku does have a number of fans who understand his characterization. On the contrary, Suzaku's behavior from R2 episode 20 to 25 was clearly following Lelouch's "the ends justify the means" ideology. He didn't "give that up" at all when they teamed up. The fact they were basically trolling and fooling the whole world with Zero Requiem is something that Suzaku couldn't have been capable of accomplishing earlier in the story. Turn 22.05 doesn't say anything we didn't already know (at least not concerning this specific topic). They went to Japan and talked with the UFN, indeed, but that was all part of Lelouch's plan.

Last edited by jroa on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, 500 words of description can only do so much. While they are the closest of friends right before becoming the worst of enemies, the actual journey there is a series of contentious growth spurts, and the reasons for their growing friendship are mostly wrapped up in their own ego problems. Their first meeting is a potentially fatal duel for Griffith's right to "own" Guts as a pawn, and there are points in their relationship where Guts genuinely hates and feels confused by Griffith's decisions, while Griffith never really gives Guts the satisfaction of calling him a friend (because that would make them equals). Before Griffith sells his soul for demonic power, right when it seems like he's about to take the throne, Guts up and leaves the mercenary band against his commander's wishes, because he'd rather go out and live his own life than continue serving under someone so obviously superior to him. Griffith doesn't see it that way, because he's started to feel like Guts is even stronger than him on the inside as well as the outside. If Griffith was a true friend to Guts, this wouldn't bother him, but because he put so much stock in his ability to control the guy, he completely freaks out when Guts decides to leave him, seeing it as a failing in what should be his perfect rise to kingdom.

So yeah, they have lots of love-hate issues even before the whole hellish blood-eclipse-feast thing happens.

Alright, after reading through all that, I can accept Guts and Griffiths as being frenemies, before becoming straight-up enemies. You can have some envy towards a friend, but if it goes too far, you enter frenemy territory, and if it goes too far beyond that, then you're not really friends at all, but rather just putting on a front while you look for a chance to stick in the shiv.

There's still some ambiguity in their relationship even after all the horrible shit that went down during the Eclipse. Despite all his hatred and anger a part of Guts still yearns to go back and follow the banner of the Hawk once more, while Griffith still feels some bangs of emotion despite claiming to have freed himself from it.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

I decided to rebinge the Golden Age arc last night. This is my thoughts:

Initially, Griffith wanted Guts solely due to his inhuman strength, but this very quickly develops into an unhealthy total dependency on Guts. Note that Guts is the only person that Griffith doesn't put on airs for. Casca's so head-over-heels for Griffith that she resents Guts for this, and calls it out to him, while Guts' interpersonal skills are so lacking that he has no idea how to react.

Then, Guts overhears Griffith's monologue to Charlotte where he says that he can only value someone as an equal who can fight for, and achieve their dream. This prompts Guts to start thinking about his role in the Hawks, and he leaves--I'm not entirely sure if it's because he wants to find and achieve a dream of his own so he can meet Griffith again as equal, or if it's merely because he doesn't believe he has a stake in Griffith's dream and wants to leave the Hawks to let only those who believe in that dream be a part of it. Griffith is so conceited in his idea that he's the ultimate master of his own destiny that he thinks he can stop Guts even while admitting Guts' superior strength. In the Eclipse, Guts compounds his folly by sacrificing his dreams to save Griffith (Griffith only agrees to the sacrifice when he sees Guts trying to rescue him).

All along, Griffith can't place Guts as friend or enemy (in large part because Guts is the only person who he actually has emotions for), while Guts struggles to understand the concept of friendship in the first place.

There's also hints in the story that spoiler[the Skull Knight and Void] had the exact same relationship, with the same results.
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
One of the things I like about Kill la Kill is that it featured a rare violent rival relationship between two women. Almost no series has antagonism between two women as explosive as Satsuki and Ryuko's were. It's totally a wish-fulfillment fantasy of mine to see more.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
Pidgeot18 wrote:
I'm not entirely sure if it's because he wants to find and achieve a dream of his own so he can meet Griffith again as equal, or if it's merely because he doesn't believe he has a stake in Griffith's dream and wants to leave the Hawks to let only those who believe in that dream be a part of it.

It's the former, for sure. It's also why Casca tries to convince Guts to leave while she stays behind to take care of Griffith in his wrecked state.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
Yes, Naruto. Only in anime can you be a murderous evil bastard, and then at the end all is forgiven and you are the best drinking buds. So tip back a few for all the innocents you have slaughtered and whose bones litter the countryside.
treatment

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Harima and Hanai of School Rumble.

They're the ultimate Frenemies on multiple levels. Including, no, actually, especially on awesome hilarity and stuff.

Somebody even actually thought of a doujinshi of them together.

In the actual series itself!

Because School Rumble...

Very Happy
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
Goku and Piccolo need to be given a special mention
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
What? No Goku and Vegeta? Those guys are practically frenemies personified!
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
What the hell!

I was still reading Trigun, why did I read that part of the article....
Jitsch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
I was also thinking of Yugi and Kaiba off the bat (I recently re-read Yu-Gi-Oh, so that might have influenced it).

Kadmos1 wrote:
I think Kaiba and Yugi may have not been mentioned because, at least to me, they don't seem like friends.

Thinking about it more closely, you're probably right. They contiunuously push each other forward, but Kaiba has a hard time even giving Yugi a clue about how to beat Marik (who is more like a common enemy of theirs, so he has no reason to hold back except his pride). Still, they make for compelling rivals that support each other throughout the series and share a similar mindset, just without ever really crossing the threshold to become something that you might call "friends".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4