• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces English Dub Plans for 7 Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
^
Indeed, ADV released 10 of the 90s OVA's according to Wikipedia. Looking at the few English VA's I can recognize, I will be in favor of recasting for the dub of the new show.

Regardless, I hope Sentai puts a lot of effort and care into the new dub.

well it's pretty certain that some characters are going to be recasted in the dub of newer series. Randy Sparks who voiced Ushio in the OVA died in 2011. hopefully Brett Weaver will reprise his role as Tora though
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
And still no [expletive] Sacred Seven. Time to give up hope, it seems.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
And still no [expletive] Sacred Seven. Time to give up hope, it seems.

I know. It's a real pain with Sentai when half of their shows get dubbed and the other half don't.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
well it's pretty certain that some characters are going to be recasted in the dub of newer series. Randy Sparks who voiced Ushio in the OVA died in 2011. hopefully Brett Weaver will reprise his role as Tora though

This!

I bought the OVA set sometime after the TV series was announced and although the dub was so-so, Brett Weaver was great as Tora so hopefully they at least get him back for this.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh YES! Very Happy An awesome lineup! Monster Musume, Amagi Brilliant Park, Himouto Umaru-Chan, and Food Wars are the ones that I'm most excited for.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Ahh there a load of shows I recommend.... Himouto Umaru-Chan even to none adult audiences!
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Darn...I may have to break the bank for this one with so many titles getting dubbed
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
#Immie93 wrote:
MarkyMarc413 wrote:

Now all we need is Nichijou and Hyouka to get licensed...

-Marc.

Hyouka is one that needs a dub, or at least a subbed physical release. And you'd think it would have been dubbed with literally all of KyoAni's stuff getting the treatment. What's wrong with Hyouka? Unless there's licensing issues.....

But I'm happy for Amagi.

I've gotta think that it's either cost-related or Production Committee related. Either someone in the franchise's ownership group just doesn't want to sell it overseas, or they're asking way too much money for it, or they're putting conditions on selling it (like maybe requiring a dub) that the international companies won't agree to. I've heard some people speculate that maybe it's just too Japanese, but there are plenty of shows I found a lot harder to follow as a foreigner than Hyouka that have gotten US releases, so I can't believe that would be the main reason.

As for these shows that are getting dubs, I was already going to buy Food Wars anyway, so this is a nice bonus. I liked Danmachi and Amagi, but those aren't the sort of shows I typically buy. I'll take a look at them once they're up for pre-order, though.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
Happy days have arrived, I can finally buy Amagi Brilliant Park in the nearish future

You took the words out of my mouth ~~ Give them back!! .. oh okay, you can keep them..its not like I was happy at hearing this wondrous news or anything Razz
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Sentai doing 7 dubs anime on the way oh my did indeed a YES YES YES for them.

Give we get circus anime aka amagi park make wonder who voicing those mascots characters?!

Monster girls oh sure this a dub ready noe wait cast list.

& of course umaru-chan this is it yet million dollar question who going to be umaru dub voice?

Overall 7 sentai dubs look like jackpot alert.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping Sentai licences Osomatsu-san in the future
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Will the dubs be streamed on the animenetwork or tubi tv or are they just physical releases?

Given the paucity of new dubs added to The Anime Network site in the past several months, I'm not holding my breath.

I believe the last dub they added of any recent series was the one for Hamatora, and that was back in March.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Quite an impressive list of dubs ....gosh every 4th week of the month (when they'd announce their newest releases ) I'd have a big let down because Sentai would only dub like 20-30%
THANK YOU THANK YOU SENTAI ...and ill be purchasing all 7 to encourage them to dub MOREMOREMORE ...and PLEASE go back and dub TO LOVE RU ..and HAYATE and Finnish dubbing .. The Familiar Of Zero
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the new Ushio & Tora show yet. I remember watching the OVA as a kid back in the late 90's when I was seven or eight years old. I have a feeling that it might air on Toonami since it feels like that it would fit the block pretty well. Maybe after Gundam: IBO ends, they could air U&T.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
COREY2293 wrote:
Shocked Food wars is only being dubbed now.

Why? It's only been nine months since it finished airing. That's hardly an unusually long time, even for a popular title.

Lizzie_B wrote:
Here's hoping Sentai licences Osomatsu-san in the future

While this is a super-big cross-over hit in Japan (I saw merchandise and advertisements for it everywhere in Japan last week), I question how much appeal it would have for American audiences. It definitely would lack he same nostalgia impact.

Anyway, most of these titles getting dubbed was probably inevitable (Himouto also being a surprise for me), but I'm pleased as punch to see Amagi finally getting a proper release. Will be curious to see the casting choices for it in particular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5