• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School: Future Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
so, are we ever told what exactly happens to drive the entire planet into total anarchy, or do we just have to take a wild guess and hope its correct?

As far as I know (I still haven't finished Despair Girls) we never get a 100% clear look at the specifics of The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Even in Human History, it's pretty safe to assume it was the work of the Remnants of Despair putting their various talents and connections to work in causing mass panic and destruction.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4! To cut off speculation before it starts, spoiler[assuming Aya Hirano's voice wasn't enough of a giveaway, end credits identify Monaca as the one controlling Gekkogahara-bot. That's one way to get around the obvious age difference. Not sure how I feel about her new Junko hair, but I get the feeling we're not supposed to like it. Or anything about her, really.] Final chapter, indeed.
Vannil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
that really is quite a clever twist. Like Junko's use of monokuma in the first game, I honestly did not see this coming.
terminus24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
I'm just hoping that episode 4's reveal that spoiler[Monaca is controlling Gekkogahara means that the Death Game is coming to an end soon, not because I dislike the death game, but rather because there's so much going on outside the game - Hagakure is stuck outside (I loved the note at the beginning "Please note - Hagakure-kun's stuck outside because nobody likes him."), Togami, Fukawa, and Komaru are nowhere in sight, and Monaca is probably wherever she was in the CG in UDG's ending - I'm guessing she's hiding out somewhere in Towa City, since she has all the robotic tech she'd need there and I'd doubt she actually managed to get into Future Foundation's base.]
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
After what Munakata says in this episode, spoiler[I suspect the final few episodes will involve unmasking the true culprit after the game comes to a false conclusion, much like how the final chapter of the other games does away with the established formula. The question now is who will be made into the scapegoat.

Tengan has already proven himself to be too ironic to live, so he'll probably die next episode as the result of heroically sacrificing himself in an attempt to prove to Munakata that hope doesn't require sacrifices. If Despair Arc is anything to go on, that may just be his shtick. He could turn out to be a master of reverse psychology who gets the results he wants by telling people the polar opposite of what they want to hear.

One or more out of Kimura, Andoh, and Izayoi will die. Of the three of them, only Izayoi's forbidden action has been teased (eating, or possibly more specifically being hand-fed), and that has to have been for a reason. Which sucks, because the cute ones always die. None of them are likely suspects, so any deaths in this trio will be a tragic consequence of mistrust and not relevant to the main case.

Asahina is still raising her death flag high. Nobody wants this, but what could be more despair-inducing than one of the original survivors' deaths signaling the end of the killing game?

The rest are still too hard to get a read on, but Mitarai is also probably around for a reason.]
yappers4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At the same time, he specifically instructs Aoi to grab Makoto and rush him to safety, despite never being told that Makoto's forbidden action is running.

In the previous episode, Makoto announced his forbidden action over the intercom. That's how Tengan knew. And personally, I didn't expect Monaca to return because of a character that resembles her (but in her teens) in the background of New Danganronpa V3.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
Quote:
At the same time, he specifically instructs Aoi to grab Makoto and rush him to safety, despite never being told that Makoto's forbidden action is running.

In the previous episode, Makoto announced his forbidden action over the intercom. That's how Tengan knew. And personally, I didn't expect Monaca to return because of a character that resembles her (but in her teens) in the background of New Danganronpa V3.

Oh, that's right! Okay, I'll take that part out. Part about Sakakura is still weird though.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Ok, guess I have to do Ultra Despair Girls after all. Is it worth playing or should I just read a summary/watch a playthrough?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yappers4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Ok, guess I have to do Ultra Despair Girls after all. Is it worth playing or should I just read a summary/watch a playthrough?

I always recommend to play the game in order to experience it more, but if time is of the essence, watch the playthrough. The shock and emotional value is definitely strong in this one, almost rivaling DR2.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
As a counterpar, as someone who watched a walkthrough of the game these days (yeaaaah I eat my previous words), and I thought the first 70% of the game was very obnoxious, slow and hard to sit through (especially those kids, they are like drillers on my brain) and the last 30% satisfying and gratifying, I don't know if I could recommend the whole game just for that because you need a loooooooot of patience before you get to the good stuff. I'd say, if you liked Toko Fukawa in the first game maybe you'll be able to watch/play it ok despite some other annoyances, but if you don't it can be really painful. Of course, that's just another opinion and from someone who only watched the walkthrough yet not played it (though honestly I wouldn't want to play that kind of gameplay).

Now, some friends haven't seen UDG either and they're going to try to follow the anime without watching and hoping they will follow it okay, so who knows how accesible it will be (in my opinion it should be accesible even without it, after all this is DR3 and the other "another episode" or spinoff, I don't want this to be like Kingdom Hearts where you must play 40 games before you can go from one game to another).
TheFlu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I'd say don't worry about needing to be familiar with UDG too much. Just know that Monaca is a wheelchair bound demon child who is trying to be Junko's sucessor. She is also skilled with robotics and has the resources of a Togami level corporation to help her as well as an army of brainwashed children to help her. She also engineered an incident involving Makoto's sister and Toko. I think that should cover what you would need to know about Monaca coming out of Despair Girls
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Having played the game myself, I wouldn't wish the experience on anybody else, but the story is pretty good even if the gameplay is tedious and painful.

I would just read the Wikipedia article on Monaca tbh, maybe youtube the ending of the game, that kinda thing. Get the basic gist.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
One episode later, and one (or more) of my theories is already wrong!

spoiler[Kimura became a victim of the killer after all. Props to a writer who can spend episodes setting up one death trope and switch it at the last second for another. Here I was thinking the worst that could happen was for one of the three to kill one of the others in some tragic, overplayed misunderstanding, and Kodaka goes and makes the formula killing into the worse outcome. Now they can never make up, not even in their final moments.

But this also means that Izayoi could still end up being killed by Ando, intentionally or otherwise. His NG action has been telegraphed from the beginning, but will he eat one of her sweets anyway to prove his loyalty in death? More importantly, why couldn't the freaking UHSL Confectioner make something without sugar out of consideration for her friend's condition? Or is that just the tragic irony of it all?

Meanwhile, in the main plot...

Tengan has copped to being behind the Kamukura project. Worst kept secret in the series, but it does seem to confirm that he was manipulating poor Hajime after all. Is he manipulating Munakata, too?

It seems now that Munakata orchestrated the entire thing to flush out a Remnant of Despair he was sure was hidden within the ranks of the Future Foundation. At the very least, he seems to have a plan. He seems to have acquired one of Kimura's injectors.during the blackout period, but it might be something he had on him from before. Lots of seeming going on with this guy, so there's definitely more to his story.

And then there's all the random hooks we got, like the giant Monokuma door and Kirigiri's promise of a Great Gozu exam. Will he be unmasked, too?]

Next week can't come soon enough.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Ok Now that we know what Kazuo Tengan's rule is lets go and use that info to spoiler[Figure out what he has been lying about this whole game especially since he is a despair]
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
So far I think there are at least three different enemies all working in their own agenda. there is monaka piloting the wheelchaired robot of course, munakata who has already committed himself to kill enough people to be called a full fledged bad guy, and there is whoever killed yukizome, great gozu and senko (regardless of munakata injecting the strength boost as a red herring, he could not have killed gozu because of his forbidden action and his reaction every time tengan mentioned yukizome suggest he didn't killed her himself).

I know danganronpa is not supposed to be a realistic show, and I welcome super strong people fighting each other as much as the other guy. but now the plot devices are just becoming ridiculous. I had complained in the past for the unlikeliness of someone (even if they were not working alone) to be able to secretly sneak in the shit ton of explosives poison and other paraphernalia this "game" has involved so far, but now they are telling us they had the time intel and resource to CHANGE THE LAYOUT OF THE BUILDING without anyone noticing (cause you know, people other than the main characters work at that building), that's what the secret door izayoi found seems to suggest. otherwise in asahina's words "their security does suck"

And screw being a SHSL "___", everyone in there is a top notch magician, where was senko carrying that shit ton of pills she swallowed (just for dramatic effect) at once, where was izayoi carrying that huge pile of blades? how has ruruka not run out of sweets yet, she is not even carrying a bag. and apparently, even though none of the characters were expecting to be attacked from inside their own HQ (and they went out of their way to say the island was not in any map) or had a previous reason to think there was a traitor in their ranks they all (except by makoto's group) attended a boring board meeting fully armored. I know that for them there was the "possibility" of makoto indeed being the traitor but that is why security should have body checked him after getting off the helicopter.

Lastly I just want to quote this great line
"I will kill you for love and dewicious sweets" - Izayoi, 2016
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12