• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guardians of the Galaxy, Gravity Falls Writers in Talks for Live-Action Pokémon Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
I actually have a good idea for a Hollywood Pokemon movie. What about one set in the gaming universe (and is CGI), where a female trainer allies with the gaming protagonists to find Hilbert (the protagonist of Black and White who went missing looking for N in the sequels)? I think that would be a very interesting concept that potentially can have a very good storyline.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
HyperGatack wrote:
L mxvw krsh lw'v qrw jrlqj wr eh iloohg zlwk flskhuv Vfbwkhuv.

Ilahg wkdw iru brx. Lw’v txlwh d vkdus sxq. *Gursv plnh.*

Wink

oro
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:

Yep! Children's cartoon... that and I quote from an actual episode "Has a big mystery element. And a lot of humor that goes over kids' heads." and then the next episode the same character who said the line had a long list of crimes read one of which was "pug trafficking".

I'm an adult and don't get 'pug trafficking', is it some kind of double entendre based on new teenage slang I don't know? But Pokemon is not really a comedy so joke quality isn't much of a concern. It's an action and adventure show.

Nakurawari wrote:
It doesn't bode well that a children's cartoon writer is helping with a movie of a franchise that's aimed at children? What?

It's not exactly a 1:1. If someone said "One Piece is a kid's show, so get the guy behind Hannah Montana on it and we're golden", it should be more clear why it would cause concern for people.

-Stuart Smith
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Yeah this can stop

What can stop is your constant trolling of threads with anything American LA or Dub related. We've gotten quite a few complaints so consider this an official warning to stop. You don't have to like dubs or LA adaptations or anything else Murica touches in the anime industry but the constant off topic and pointless posts do have to stop. If you're not going to post any actual opinions and thoughts on such subjects then just don't post in those threads.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
HyperGatack wrote:
L mxvw krsh lw'v qrw jrlqj wr eh iloohg zlwk flskhuv Vfbwkhuv.

Ilahg wkdw iru brx. Lw’v txlwh d vkdus sxq. *Gursv plnh.*

Wink

oro

Qrw hyhq pdg

Stuart Smith wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:

Yep! Children's cartoon... that and I quote from an actual episode "Has a big mystery element. And a lot of humor that goes over kids' heads." and then the next episode the same character who said the line had a long list of crimes read one of which was "pug trafficking".

I'm an adult and don't get 'pug trafficking', is it some kind of double entendre based on new teenage slang I don't know? But Pokemon is not really a comedy so joke quality isn't much of a concern. It's an action and adventure show.

STANd in for DRUG trafficking.
The episode after that he's talking to this super shady guy telling him that the barrels of pugs they have need to be moved across the border by sundown.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Nakurawari wrote:
It doesn't bode well that a children's cartoon writer is helping with a movie of a franchise that's aimed at children? What?

It's not exactly a 1:1. If someone said "One Piece is a kid's show, so get the guy behind Hannah Montana on it and we're golden", it should be more clear why it would cause concern for people.

-Stuart Smith

That's the thing, YOU'RE not making a fair 1:1 comparison. Gravity Falls isn't anywhere in the same GALAXY as Hannah Montana. Comparing One Piece with Pokemon is a less crazy comparison than that.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:

It's not slang... it's a play on drug trafficking.

Also you should really check out Gravity Falls. Just becuase it's a Disney show doesn't mean it's like Hannah Monatna. Yeah it has a lot of comedy but also a lot of action, adventure and mystery.

Also I just relaized something, if you're going to make a Decetive Pikachu movie, Alex Hirsch isn't a good choice, he's THE perfect choice: A kids movie filled with mystery, humor, action and an adult fanbase? Get the guy who created a really good kids show with mystery, humor, action and an adult fanbase!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
These are actually good writers.

This...may not be a dumpster fire.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:

Also you should really check out Gravity Falls. Just becuase it's a Disney show doesn't mean it's like Hannah Monatna. Yeah it has a lot of comedy but also a lot of action, adventure and mystery.

Also I just relaized something, if you're going to make a Decetive Pikachu movie, Alex Hirsch isn't a good choice, he's THE perfect choice: A kids movie filled with mystery, humor, action and an adult fanbase? Get the guy who created a really good kids show with mystery, humor, action and an adult fanbase!

Its funny that Disney has this squeaky clean ultra sanitary reputation... But between Star Vs the forces of Evil and Gravity Falls there is A LOT of crazy stuff thats not even subtle.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:

I just realized Anime fans not knowing about Gravity Falls. It's like this scene in reverse!

I've only heard bits of Detective Pikachu impressions, but I thought I heard people saying it's really dark and serious compared to other Pokemon games? That would be up Hirsch's alley I think.

Beatdigga wrote:
These are actually good writers.

This...may not be a dumpster fire.

It's definitely promising! Though we're not out of the woods yet. They still have to find a capable director, actors, etc. We've got a long way to go.

HyperGatack wrote:

Its funny that Disney has this squeaky clean ultra sanitary reputation... But between Star Vs the forces of Evil and Gravity Falls there is A LOT of crazy stuff thats not even subtle.

I think it was Phineas and Ferb that really helped get Disney out of that rut. I remember reading an interview (I think it was Craig McCracken about Wander Over Yonder attributing that show's success with Disney becoming more lax with humor.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
But Pokemon is not really a comedy so joke quality isn't much of a concern. It's an action and adventure show.

This is true to an extent, but for all intents and purposes this is looking to be a mystery/detective flick, and to my knowledge (I haven't seen much of it to be honest) Gravity Falls is a mystery series in addition to being a comedy so having a guy who wrote a mystery series, writing what looks to be a mystery film makes sense to me. Not to mention it was a very well received series that got acclaim outside it's original demographic and combined with the fact that the other supposed writer here also penned a critically acclaimed film is a pretty clear indication that that the producers are actually trying to make something enjoyable so the idea that anyone would see this and fear a Chipmunks like scenario in which we got a kids movie that actively insulted the intelligence of it's audience seems baffling to me.

I can kind of get the notion of being worried it might not stick to what Pokemon is, but it was clear this was going to be it's own animal the second it was confirmed to be a Detective Pikachu thing, so at this point I'd say it's probably more worthwhile to be concerned about if it'll be a decent standalone product or not, which from the sound of things it could be. Personally I didn't really care much one way or the other about this, but if these guys stick around and we get a decent director on board, this could actually turn out to be something fun.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
HyperGatack wrote:

To a lesser extent, there's also stuff that'd fly over kids' heads in Phineas and Ferb, Wander Over Yonder, and Fish Hooks. Heck, a lot of stories that are oddly geek-oriented or adult-oriented have been present on Disney Channel animated programming since at least Kim Possible. I've always had the impression that their animated content is a lot less restricted than their live-action content, or at least handled by different crews.

Divineking wrote:
This is true to an extent, but for all intents and purposes this is looking to be a mystery/detective flick, and to my knowledge (I haven't seen much of it to be honest) Gravity Falls is a mystery series in addition to being a comedy so having a guy who wrote a mystery series, writing what looks to be a mystery film makes sense to me. Not to mention it was a very well received series that got acclaim outside it's original demographic and combined with the fact that the other supposed writer here also penned a critically acclaimed film is a pretty clear indication that that the producers are actually trying to make something enjoyable so the idea that anyone would see this and fear a Chipmunks like scenario in which we got a kids movie that actively insulted the intelligence of it's audience seems baffling to me.

I can kind of get the notion of being worried it might not stick to what Pokemon is, but it was clear this was going to be it's own animal the second it was confirmed to be a Detective Pikachu thing, so at this point I'd say it's probably more worthwhile to be concerned about if it'll be a decent standalone product or not, which from the sound of things it could be. Personally I didn't really care much one way or the other about this, but if these guys stick around and we get a decent director on board, this could actually turn out to be something fun.

I have high hopes with Alex Hirsch on board, but I think it's too early to celebrate. The peolpe who use the Chipmunks films as examples do have a point: They were all co-written by Jon Vitti, one of the writers for The Simpsons during its golden age. That being said, the Chipmunks movies do VERY well for their target audience, so I would not consider them failures either. The movies succeeded with what the staff intended them to do.

I do think Alex Hirsch can pull it off though. I don't think there's a writer in children's television currently who's better for the job.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:

I see. I was trying to find some kind of dog fighting component to it, since telling someone to transport a basket of dogs doesn't cliick with drugs in my mind. It comes off like a random joke. If they wanted to do a drug trafficking plot they should have used like a magic spell or potion to get around the censors. I still don't see how 'children's cartoon' is inaccurate here though, I have seen the show and it's nothing that stands out, which is why I was worrisome in the first place. The humor level in Detective Pikachu is very minimal, and not the kind of humor you find in kids shows.

Divineking wrote:

The Marvel movie universe says most superheroes are just too silly or unrealistic to be in movies as is so they have to be changed. Are those the people you trust to be in charge of a Pokemon movie who will look at it and say a bunch of Pokemon are too silly and unrealistic? The Chipmunks comparison is because that movie tried to make them realistic pint-sized Chipmunks as well.

-Stuart Smith
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sure, okay. This isn't hype-bait or anything.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:

I see. I was trying to find some kind of dog fighting component to it, since telling someone to transport a basket of dogs doesn't cliick with drugs in my mind. It comes off like a random joke. If they wanted to do a drug trafficking plot they should have used like a magic spell or potion to get around the censors. I still don't see how 'children's cartoon' is inaccurate here though, I have seen the show and it's nothing that stands out, which is why I was worrisome in the first place. The humor level in Detective Pikachu is very minimal, and not the kind of humor you find in kids shows.

Actually it's the play on words that's the getting Crap Past the Radar aspect. Also the the whole Pug Trafficking is just one among the crimes the character Stan performed in his life not some magical thing, (the context is that he just won the mayoral election, but he got disqualified due to his long, long, long list of crimes).

And even if it is serous... oh boy... yes, Gravity Falls is a comedy but it gets serious at some points... And when it gets serious... oh man...

Also the point I'm trying to make is that YES it's a children's cartoon, but you're judging it like all Children's Cartoons (and shows) are the same. That they're all mindless entertainment that's stupid with nothing worthwhile.

Like I said, Alex Hirsch is the perfect choice for this movie. And even if the game has minimal humor, you know they're going add humor to the movie, which is another reason why to add Alex... make the jokes smart and funny... Not stupid and pandering...

Just because something is geared towards kids nowadays doesn't automatically make it stupid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4