• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I also realize that, while someone invented my last name, it wasn't me. It may be reasonable to blame the person who came up with it for it being stupid, but I have no idea who it was, or what the circumstances were when it was created. (Not entirely true in my personal case, but it's true for most people)

But when it comes to fictional characters, we know exactly who to blame (the author) and what the circumstances were (author didn't want to use a reasonable-sounding name). This author decided that "Radar" was a name to assign to a character, and I'm going to roll my eyes at that decision.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm not sure the point you're making. There are real English speakers with weird names, and people make fun of each others' names all the time. But it's one thing to be born with a weird surname, where you don't have a choice. It's another to invent a stupid name and expect no one to raise an eyebrow. It comes across as lazy and half-assed writing.

After watching anime for as long as I have, weird Western names don't even faze me in the least! At least Glenn is a perfectly normal first name. Considering character names from the past, like Aura Battler Dunbine's Marvel Frozen and Shott Weapon, both of which are supposed to be Americans, Glenn's last name, Radar, sounds fairly normal.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
In an era where LN productions of "dropped in another world" are dime a dozen, and the obvious first cousins of Magical Academy are markings every present in this show this series has made the mistake for this viewers habits of quickly becoming paint by numbers by episode 3.
While Glenn isn't the usual hapless teenage protagonist, he still falls into the usual seinen targeted demographic lead with suddenly solving a tense situation with a little heroic resolve and "he is just that good".

Even if as a viewer I were to ignore the trends (which is really difficult given the recent mass of releases) just this season we have more than a chunk of magical worlds, magic academies, and of course various relationships between bastards of all varieties.

In the end, this will be a show this viewer will easily forget about which is probably one of the worst sins a series can make.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

He like used up all his energy/mana like 3 different times. Megumin would be impressed, although his explosion was lacklustre compared to hers.

Well it does feel like there is less of a reliance of fanservice, and relationship wise I think that it is setting itself up well. From here I want him interacting with more of the students.

I think that I am particularly liking the previews too, I actually laughed with how it kept teasing what is meant by the series name. I will hope for more of that humour to show up through.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
In recent years I've become wary of nice girl characters since they usually end up being hidden yanderes or generally unpleasant. Thank goodness Rumia turned out to be just as angelic as she initially appeared.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

And I got what I hoped for, Glenn interacted with the rest of the class by showing that he had observed and realised what they were good at. Humorous though in that he realised only after having it committed that he could have had only the top students take part, and they are all taking him as really caring about them while his faith is not actually so high.

I know that the count was in bad taste in ways, but I thought it was hilarious with how everyone reacted, like the headmaster straight up saying that they should fire him, especially considering he is sitting right next to the queen who is the mother of the girl being harassed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I am finding myself feel quite involved in the plot here, at this point it indeed feels that it has gone well past the initial impressions of being more shallow. I am also happy that the two that were watching the competition and seemed to know of Glenn do not seem to be antagonists to him but old allies, despite the episode ending with them attacking him. The girl who seems to lack any sense of tact also seems likely to join the class, and I kind of like her. But I also like to think of the best part was how he was giving advice to one of his students which left him in that disguise, it was funny how he fought between hunger and feeling scummy for tricking a student.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm betting that they didn't actually attack him, but rather attacked members of the Imperial Guard that none of us saw coming!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I'm betting that they didn't actually attack him, but rather attacked members of the Imperial Guard that none of us saw coming!

Oh, no. I'm sure she was attacking Glenn specifically. I *think* that they wanted to find out if Glenn has still "got it." Basically, they're testing him to see if he still has enough skill to be useful to them. They're obviously going to be going up against the Imperial Guard next episode, and they probably figure that having another skilled combatant onboard would boost their chances of success, but they need to know they can rely on him first, especially since it seems Glenn ducked out of their group without a good-bye (seems to have been some sort of political expediency thing that got Glenn booted).

Looks like the kingdom is pretty... unstable? Fragile? If your own imperial guard is abducting you and trying to kill your (disowned) daughter without your permission, your hold on rule is pretty weak.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I think the Guards actions are a bad case of "good intentions". The idea that "we know what is best for you". We will dispose of this potential royal embarrassment (even though it is your daughter that you love) since you are too emotional and weak to do what is necessary.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I think the Guards actions are a bad case of "good intentions". The idea that "we know what is best for you". We will dispose of this potential royal embarrassment (even though it is your daughter that you love) since you are too emotional and weak to do what is necessary.

If so, the Queen needs to execute the leader of her guards. You *cannot* have people who serve you forgetting their place. If you do have such people around you, then you're not really the ruler, you're just a figurehead.

And while I think your theory is a good one, I'm interested in seeing if it turns out to be accurate. I think someone may have put the idea into the head of the Imperial Guard -- that is, manipulated him -- because what he was trying to do is exactly what the bad guys were tried to do. I don't think that's a coincidence.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't thought of mind control, you may be right. Regardless, it is the sort of action where you fall on your sword after announcing that you did it in the best interest of the royal family. They don't seem to intend to depose the Queen, and that isn't the sort of action you can take and leave the grieving mother with any sort of power to retaliate.

I don't think this is what the bad guys wanted to do with Rumia. If they had they could have simply murdered her as soon as they identified her. They were planning to transport her somewhere to use her, either because of her special powers or because she was royal, likely both.

What I don't get is that she lives in a private home and walks through town to school. She could have been kidnapped or killed any time, why wait for such showy events.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I hadn't thought of mind control, you may be right.

I didn't mean mind-control per se, though I suppose that's possible (I dunno what all magic can accomplish in this setting), but rather via a more mundane sort of manipulation. Sometimes, just mentioning the right thing at the right time can lead a person to have thoughts that lead them to do what you want. This is what politicians (and rabble-rousers) often do: they plant the seeds in others and then wait till they bloom. Maybe someone planted seeds in the mind of the commander? A benefit is that if you're good at it, it can't be traced back to you as the person might not even remember where the original idea came from. The downside is that it's tricky to pull off. Guess we'll see next week.

I'm really liking this series, and I honestly didn't expect to. My only issues are the girl's uniforms (which I can pretty much ignore) and White Cat's uh... interest towards Glenn, which while pretty off-putting for me, isn't a deal-breaker.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
Someone mentioned that the girl's uniform design was present in the illustrations of the original LN. So the design is either the fault of the original illustrator or a description by the initial author. It probably comes under the heading of "it seemed like a good idea at the time". I don't notice it much after a few episodes.

I'm still trying to figure out how old Glenn is. At one point it was mentioned that he left the academy at 15 and the immediate response is "what has he done in the last four years?" That might make him as young as 19. This would make it not so worrisome if he takes up with one of the girls when he is not their teacher. Regardless, a one sided crush is not a problem. It is not even unrealistic, he did save her life and chastity.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Is there some rule in anime that says you're never allowed to enjoy the rewards of your labors? After watching Youkai no Rin-ne and Bebop, et al, I could see that ending coming last episode away, and it's a constant trope unless you're a villain - then you get to revel in your ill-gotten gains, at least for awhile.

It's kind of disheartening, knowing the good guys will never really win, even when they win. I mean I don't see how it would've harmed the story if he did acquire 3 months rent and some spending money to treat the kids with without wondering where his next meal is coming from. Why aren't MCs allowed to be happy for five minutes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5