• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Choose Top 10 Unreasonably Violent Female Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
I'm puzzled by Haruhi's inclusion too. You can lay many things at her feet, and she's certainly not a good person except maybe every once in a while, but she's not exactly a violent person, specifically. Selfish, dishonest, sceming and marginally sociopatic, yes, but not violent.

I'm guessing Naru Narusegawa and her ilk didn't reach the top 20 because she's from an old(er) franchise that newer fans probably doesn't know about, or might have heard about but don't particularly care to check it out.

Lum's there, but I guess she's a bit more iconic?
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
It took me a very long time to even decide I liked The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya because of how sh*tty she is as a person. I still dislike her a lot and am happy to see her on this list though.

I share your feelings about Haruhi, but I don't see her as a "violent" character, certainly not enough of one to rank second on this list. She woman-handles poor Mikuru shamelessly but mostly to force her into some cosplay outfit. There are many other female characters that are a lot more violent than Haruhi, like Kagame to take one example mentioned above.

That's true. You and Northlander have a point. She is abusive, but not so violent through most of the show. I guess myself, and many voters didn't really make that distinction for some reason..
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Naru should be here. Akane, too.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps Manami Kinjou from Cat Planet Cuties would more or less fit in the list? spoiler[She has a habit of strangling Kio whenever he says anything about her that she may find offensive, even if unintentional.]
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Lum's there, but I guess she's a bit more iconic?

A bit. Razz
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Revy or most of the women from Black Lagoon.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
While "unreasonably violent" is subjective and this is is a very misandric trope, sometimes the hitting may be justified. For example, considering how obnoxious and stupid Naruto is, I actually don't blame Sakura for beating up on him.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Going by the manga, Sakura is hardly one to judge, is she? At least pre-timeskip.

And hoo boy on thinking someone deserves to be beat up for being obnoxious. That's an ugly thought, especially when you look at the fact that while Naruto might be obnoxious and childish, yes, he has never actually went and hurt anyone. (Well... ouside of his job as a ninja, and in that case, I'd say nobody in the Narutoverse has the right to get up on a high horse about it.) Sakura's violence upon Naruto might count as slapstick, but it's also a case of disproportional retribution, which is what this trope usually is.

Edit: Granted, I'm not one to talk, since I have enjoyed people getting beat up myself over their idiocy. It was one of the things that made Girls Bravo sort of bearable back in the day, but that creepazoid male sorta-antagonist did far worse things than merely be a bit annoying. I guess I'm just having a particularly lucid moment now or something.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Out of the dark cavity where I should have a heart comes the full list (with votes and ties), anyone want to be the beaten husbando of this violent waifus?

1 Tae Shimura (Gintama)    500
2 Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)  296
3 Fumino Serizawa (Stray Cat Overrun!)   270
4 Lum (Urusei Yatsura) 266
5 Asuka Langley Shikinami (Evangelion)   224
6 Chitoge Kirisaki (Nisekoi: False Love)   215
7 Mahiru Inami  (Wagnaria!!)   198
7 Sakura Haruno  (NARUTO)   198
9 Kaori Makimura (City Hunter)  162
9 Hana Midorikawa (Prison School)   162

11 Dokuro-Chan  (Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan)   160
12 Akane Tendo  (Ranma 1/2)   139
13 Reiko Mikami  (GS Mikami)   123
14 Lina Inverse (Slayers)   114
15 Nadia  (Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water)   98
16 Mikoto Misaka (A Certain Magical Index)  91
17 Natsumi Hinata  (Sgt. Frog) 85
18 Kirino Kosaka  (Oreimo)  80
19 Minami Shimada  (Baka and Test)   60
19 Ayase Aragaki  (Oreimo) 60

21 Index  (A Certain Magical Index)   59
22 Kirihime Natsuno  (Dog & Scissors)  57
23 Taiga Aisaka  (Toradora)    55
24 Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière (The Familiar of Zero) 53
25 Winry Rockbell  (Fullmetal Alchemist)   51
26 Houki Shinonono  (Infinite Stratos)   49
27 Ume Shiraume  (Ben-To)   36
28 Kaname Chidori  (Full Metal Panic!)   35
29 Naru Narusegawa  (Love Hina)   33

30 Isuzu Sento  (Amagi Brilliant Park)   31
31 Mio Isurugi  (MM!)   29
32 Arashiko Yuno  (MM!)   26
32 Sohara Mitsuki  (Heaven's Lost Property)   26
34 Minatsu Shiina  (Student Council's Discretion)  22
35 Claire Rouge  (Bladedance of Elementalers)   20
35 Yuna Miyama  (Maburaho) 20
35 Aika Tsube  (Gonna be the Twin-Tail!!) 20
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked that Revy didn't even make the full list! I know it's been a decade since Black Lagoon was released, but I'm still surprised she's not there. Haruhi is from the same year, and there are some entries that are older. As Alan observed pretty much all the women in Black Lagoon can be called "unreasonably violent."

Nice Holystone in Baccano! has a love affair with explosives.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Black Lagoon, I think, is that the women don't really stand out compared to the men in that series as much as the women in that list. Yeah, they are violent, but they live in a world of violence, and they aren't specifically out to give men a harder time than women for the sake of laughs. Revy's treatment of Rock isn't really worse than how she would treat anyone else, woman or man -- in fact, despite her posturing, she might even cut him more slack than she would other people, female OR male.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
I realize that Black Lagoon takes place in a violent community. But Revy enjoys violence. Watch her glee as she jumps from boat to boat killing and blowing things up in the second story line. Even Dutch accuses her of going Whitman in the Neo Nazi story. Roberta the maid, the Chinese girl and even Balalaika are just as bad. Most are way more violent then the men around them.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
For me, Balalaika is one of the most memorable characters from the couple hundred anime series I've watched. The scene between her and Hansel in the park is absolutely chilling.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
The scary part of Balalaika is that what she does is strictly business and done in cold blood. Her actions with Hansel are strictly appropriate payback. The contrast between her approach and that of the Yakuza in Tokyo is chilling.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Well, if you wanna see a reverse violent relationship, you can read or watch Gekkan Shōjo Nozaki-kun.

One of the couples has the guy constantly hitting the girl for being lazy or stupid.

To be fair, on at LEAST one occasion, Kashima actually explicitly aims for that reaction intentionally. Also, I think why most people take issue with Naru is 90% of the time Keitarou gets hit despite CLEARLY not intentionally doing anything wrong and probably at least 50% of the time not doing anything wrong at all. OTOH, Kashima's way of "flirting" is straight-up antagonizing Hori.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4