• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Expensive Is Housing In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Quote:
An 85 square meter (900 square foot) apartment in a nice area will set you back around ¥200,000 (~US$1800) a month in most places around town

Yikes. I love in one of the top ten largest cities in the USA, have a house that is almost three times that size, and my mortgage payment is slightly over a third of that. It's hard to imagine living somewhere where property is that expensive

San Francisco, Washington and New York are much more expensive than that. In DC an apartment of half that size is about 1,800 dollars a month and San Francisco is even worse, a 900 square feet apartment there is about 6,000 dollars a month. So Tokyo is actually pretty cheap to live in now compared to the major cities in the US.

Actually Japan now is currently much cheaper than the US since 100 yen in Japan have the purchasing power of a dollar i nthe Us but the exchange rate is about 110 yen to the dollar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:49 am Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
Some of you live in some places with some pretty garbage rental laws.

While that's true, the laws that do exist to protect tenants aren't always obeyed or enforced, and the avenues one has to make sure they are... are less than ideal, to put it politely.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
#hiros7039 wrote:
With loose zoning laws allowing mixed zoning building whatever little space there is with dealing with NIMBYs. It's not usual to see two pencil homes built on a lot where there was one home. 20 story condominiums get mixed with single detached homes. And along with abundance of social housing projects make Tokyo and urban Japan affordable in comparison.

Japanese zoning laws are quite strict, but are based on intensity and building form instead of single use. Amendments and relaxations of the law have been employed to facilitate redeveloping dense fire-prone low-rise areas in the event of an earthquake, usually with a condo tower using acquired air rights from elsewhere and open space.

I would think that Japanese zoning is still less strict than in the United States, though. Here, zoning generally follows a "specific" rather than "maximum" purpose policy like in Japan. And zoning is managed at the municipal rather than state or national level. If you can get enough of your neighbors together, you can block or restrict new development on an abandoned lot in a growing part of town that could use new buildings that would increase the housing supply and help keep rents from getting out of control.

For example, in my city, there is a Ford auto plant that was shut down and has lain dormant for about 6.5 years. Opposition to the proposed redevelopment plan largely seems to come from residents who simply don't want the look and feel of the neighborhood to change.
https://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2017/07/cutting-edge-vs-hideous-fight-over-future-ford-site-very-st-paul

Here are a couple of blog posts that describe North American and Japanese zoning that I found interesting and enlightening.
http://urbankchoze.blogspot.com/2014/04/euclidian-zoning.html
http://urbankchoze.blogspot.com/2014/04/japanese-zoning.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3