• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Continuation Teased

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see how this timeline is going to move forward unless they're going to pretend that awful 2nd season spoiler[where the kill 'em all Tomino Domino effect was in full force,] never happened. spoiler[There would have to be a completely new cast since they already massacred all the interesting characters from the show.]

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I binged watched the first season when they put the dub on CR, wish they would put season 2 on, it was just the sort of Gundam show that appealed to me; soundtrack, character designs, art direction, world design, characters, setting. So more content sounds great, maybe a side story to explore some more of the shows universe.

Just a heads up, it's available on Hulu
SpaceDuckMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Unless they retcon all the Bull- from the 2nd Season or it's a Prequel to see what the war was about, can't say I give a damn, They killed off spoiler[Lafter, Akihiro, ] and so many others I liked, It's hard for me to want to watch an Anime when my favorite character[s] is/are killed off "Because plot/development/drama!!!!!!!".

I'd rather they move onto a new series.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
IBO was amazing. One of the best Gundam shows ever and one of the best anime titles I've seen in a long time. I loved Season 2, but it felt pretty complete. I'm not really into prequels and a sequel is'nt needed. Yet, I guess if it was as good as IBO I'd probably be happy.

In general I'm not really interested in all these sequels Gundam has lined up. I'm interested in something new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Flü

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
IBO was easily one of the best Gundam shows in the last 1-2 decades (or since 8th MS Team) and has most likely my favorite Gundam scenario, so I'm definitely looking forward to more content in that universe.

Could be a Calamity War prequel or a distant sequel. Both could use the Mobile Armor subplot that was introduced in S2 but not really focussed on afterwards.
Though I could also go for more IBO-style politicking or character-drama as long as they continue using this fantastic universe.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:

A. I really don't want anything else to do with the really bad romantic sub-plot

Which took up hardly any time and was only bad become the core relationship (s) MikazukixKudelia/MikazukixAtra wasn't developed throughly whereas the secondary ones had one member of the relationship get killed off before anything could go anywhere.

Blankslate wrote:

B. It would be really interesting to see how the politics of the solar system have changed since Kudelia and Tekkadan have become historical figures and maybe even looked up to as revolutionaries opposing discrimination.

.....you really really didn't watch season 2 up til it's second half did you?

professorwho wrote:
Please no... Mari Okada doesn't need to infect Gundam even more with her pretentious melodrama..

Didn't know pretentious melodrama in Gundam was something that only came into being 3 years ago.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
curtisd88 wrote:
2. A distant sequel with spoiler[Mikazuki's and Atra's child as the main character going against Gjallahorn].

This was my exact thought as well, it will end up another generational Gundam like AGE.

Personally, I'm not enthusiastic. Given the other Gundam series, it will just be virtually a repeat of the first Iron series, except the protagonist will not be an orphan. And in the end, Mars gains independence and the Gundams either are reburied for some future generation (series) or they are destroyed.

Outside of the Gunpla series, Gundam just keeps reusing the same plot. Future writers of the story needs to get more creative than "some kid finding a Gundam and saving the day, by winning the war".
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
It's all fun and games till they make another G-Reconguista...

Then we all cry out in terror before suddenly silencing the fiend who allowed another one of those to happen...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
spoiler[we don't actually see Mika himself get stab by julieta ( we only see it from Barbatos point of view ) plus if Kira Yammato can live through a nuclear exploitation I'm pretty sure Mika can survive with a scar on his face this isn't really " its this is impossible there is no way he could be alive" think about the chances of a 3rd season there many options for mika to be alive]spoiler[ ( can't say the same about Orga since we did seem him get shot tho)]

Why not they pulled that gimmick with Gaelio as utterly stupid and poorly written as it was.

chronium wrote:

huh you should watch the ending again not that many of them are dead.

Yes but spoiler[Orga, Mikazuki, & Akihiro are.
]

Zoneflare wrote:
Let me guess the protagonist will be another emotionless heero/setsuna knock off with even less emotion.

Hey it's either that or making them ripoffs of Kamille and Domon who are hot blooded enough to be their own sun.
LvlfiveShipper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I just want 2 things, Calamity War prequel (because fighting Mobile Armors seems A LOT more exciting than politics and mafia) and ... please.... PLEASE keep Okada out of it this time.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
IBO was fun. Not a masterpiece, but fun. Would be down for a similarly reasonably-done prequel or even sequel, though the directions for the former are more obvious than for the latter, as others have covered.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
Season 1 was great. The 1st half of Season 2 was fine, but the ending was just terrible. I’ll even go as far as to say that it might even be the worst ending to any Gundam Anime and that if there is going to be a sequel, it won’t fix what is broken.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
Loved both seasons of the show, but with the sense of finality the ending gave I really hope this is a prequel. Exploring the previous war and mobile armors as true weapons of mass destruction would be far more interesting to me than a sequel.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
Despite the finality of how S2 ended, I'd definitely welcome a prequel that focuses on the Calamity War, and how Agnika Kaieru established Gjallarhorn with Gundam Bael. Also a closer look at Mobile Armors would be cool. Hell, I'd even take a sequel with spoiler[Akatsuki taking on a Gjallahorn led by Julieta.]

I'm firmly in the camp that enjoyed both seasons of IBO. Even though people may watch Gundam for the action, I felt that IBO was more about the characters. Their ambitions, motivations, ideals, and drive for survival. For every episode of action there would be two episodes focusing on the fallout from the battle and character development. That's why the final few episodes of S2 were gut-wrenching: because we had gotten to know the members of Tekkadan, it made it that much harder spoiler[to say goodbye as the group's main fighters and their leader died one by one. At least Tekkadan's deaths meant something, unlike shows where main character deaths are (IMO) inserted for shock value and were literally every subsequent episode after the next.]
so751

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
I hope this is an alternate Season 2... the first season was amazing, ditto-ing many who said this earlier than I - I mean, who doesn't like to see a bunch of underdogs steal the thunder? That was the essence of the first season, and suddenly they flipped that upside down in Season 2, with spoiler[making everything way harder - physically and politically - for the orphans to succeed]. Is that sending a message to Millennials? lol because if it is, that's a bit cliche and uncalled for. I do agree though that in that story direction, the first bit of Season 2 was good, to maybe hype up the fact they have a rep in the universe now and they need to be mindful of who they ally with and who they make an enemy of, but that finale up to the ending was just painful to watch... The ending made sense afterwards, but it could have been achieved in a way more enthusiastic way...

In that sense, I agree with the above post on character development. It was painful because we had grown to cheer for the Tekkadan and each of its members, and spoiler[watching each one of them die was pretty gut-wrenching...]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4